Sign in to follow this  
Xcube15

How hot can the NF4 chipset get?

Im trying to configurate the fan speed of the chipset as it always makes an annoying noise when it is working at full speed. So i want to know when is recomended to use the fan at full speed. Im planning to set it a 60c but im not sure that it is safe for the chipset. Does anybody know at what temperature is good the set the fans to work os i can get a quiet fan chipset.

:eek2:

Well mine is 54º C all the time, with the two 6800GT making enough heat to bake french bread inside the case. Is it ok to work under these temperatures???

I don't like it one bit... but I don't know what to do, the heat source on each 6800GT is the mofset area cooled by just a tinny heatsink. I am trying to design a bigger heatsink, even water cooling doesn't take care of that area.

dude, hook me up with some french bread.

you could try taking off the maglev fan, removing the heat transfer sticky pad and using as5, or ceramique or whatever. it will prolly also drop it away from the vid card a touch. coupla post on that 'round heres somehweres.

dude, hook me up with some french bread.

Here you go, freshly baked inside my Xaser III case... thanks to eVGA :)

91_1_b.JPG

I did apply AS5 to all the chips (GPU/RAM) and changed the heat pads on the mofsets... I am not sure if AS5 or Ceramique is right for such a small area. However, after the AS5 aplication the video card temperature dropped around 3º C, but the mofset area (measured with an IR thermometer) didn't, still rise up to 55ºC.

I have a couple of thermaltake ram heatsinks, those that come with the ram heatspreaders from thermaltake. I could modify them to fit between capacitors there... or maybe another heatsink. I could apply ceramique next time I mess with it and see the changes in temperature. As it is the two video cards make the air temperature around the chipset to be near 45º C, thats why the chipset itself is at 54º C :(

No, actually I think the sensors are ok... the temperature around the chipset is between 44 and 46 deg C, extremely hot considering the rest of the case is cooler at 23 deg C.

On the bright side, the temperature on load doesn't go higher... too higher I mean, I saw it only at 56º C after running 3dMark2003.

As for the baggettes... these are great for making french bread pizza :cool:

hmmm... is the fan ok? are some of the fan blades warped or something? is it getting ok rpm?

did you get a good connection surface to surface and a good spread of as5?

did ya mix he cables up on the jumpers while you were sleevin' your psu?

all your other temps are fine?

you're using a generic 250w power supply!?!?

LOL...

Uhh, Yes

No

Yes

Hell yes!

What jumpers are you talking about??

LOL, Generic Who?? :D

I took the chipset heatsink, cleaned it with acetone... same to the chipset surface. Then applied AS5, then attached it again but using a diferent attaching mechanism than the plastic pins... the result was only 2º C cooler chipset temperature. Air around the chipset is measured with a temperature sensor (thermistor) from the Thermaltake Hardcano 12... calibrated with an IR Thermometer (IR = Infra Red, lol). This sensor measures 45º C, while another one on the cpu heatsink fan measures 29º C when under extreme usage and fans at minimum.

Now that someone says anything below 60 deg is ok, I feel better. SLI really change things, not the same as using only one video card.

ugh, mistype, i meant molex, did ya mix up the wires on a molex... i dunno shots in the dark.

you're sig says ur using a generic 250 power supply on that DR board.

Ooops, time to change that... I just got a new Enermax 600w and it really save me; the previous one, TT 680w, had a problem and couldn't even work beyond 550w usage, it powered down as if there was a short.

The temperature reached 64º C while playing games, but then I put a smart fan on one of the fan holes of the Xaser III case and now it only gets as high as 57º C, yet that is still too hot in my opinion. The two 6800gt's are creating too much heat