Sign in to follow this  
ricey

What cpu in the short term?

Hi people

I have:

DFI nF4 SLi DR

Lian Li V1000B case

OCZ 520watt PowerStream PSU (modded to fit).

Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce WinFast PX6600GT-128 TD 128MB (128MB DDR3 500-GPU 500MHz-Memory Clock)

1024MB PQI DDR RAM([email protected] PQI Turbo PC-3200 RAM 2.5-3-3-7 Dual Channel Kit))

Lots of SATA hdd's. All this stuff is here and I have it.

However, I don't have a cpu. It is the only thing missing. I want (desire, drool) a venice or san diego core Athlon64, but these will not be available in Australia for at least another 1 to 2 months. In the mean time, I need an athlon64 that works. I'm considering a 3000+ Winchester to tide me over.

Am I thinking rationally?

ricey

Hello,

Good things come to those that wait :)

It seems like a waste of money to buy the 3000+.

Well if you wait your apt to get screwed over also, becuase by the time he gets the setup running if he "waits" hes not going to be happy with the results in which hes standing in. Waiting will only get you the same state of tech realitive to the market, meaning if you wait and get a 3500+ by the time that that processor is in realitive price to the 3000+ there will be a processor up to 4400+ out there that will be the same price as the 3500+ now.

So its all realitive to what you want, to be honest the 3000+ is about 1500 points better then the athlon XP 2500+ and thats only in 32 bit, its not what processor to get its whats going to get you the most bang for your buck, if you wanted to wait for the FX-55's to come down to 200 bucks then that would be your best deal. The ironic thing about that is by the time that happens its going to be a "Low end processor" so its not worth "waiting for".

But as for right now i think a 3000+ and overclocking is your best bet, a lot of people have been getting very good results with that and also, since the 3200 is 100 bucks more for 200 mhz your not really missing out on anything.

I think what the person above me means is that the venice core is comming out and the price of hte 3000+ winchester will most likely drop a bit and the Venice incorporates the new insulator tech as well as a new instruction the, SS3 based on the chip which gives the processor more power in the end and easier handling of information. However, doing this will only make you that much further from saving up from what really counts :) the X2 series :).

If i had to wait for another month or 2 i would deff by me a 3000 or 3200 to play with in the meantime. Ebay it later or keep it as a spare.

Guest JaY

Do you know anyone in the states or such that you could wire/paypal money to and have them buy and ship it to you?

Do you know anyone in the states or such that you could wire/paypal money to and have them buy and ship it to you?

The short answer is "no"

I've had a think about this, and I've decided to go with buying the Winchester 3000+ in the short term. I can get PC bits at wholesale prices, so I can get the Winnie 3000+ for $204 Aud, whereas full rrp is $299. Best street price is around $235, so I should be able to sell my second-hand cpu in 3 months for $190 reasonably easily. In 3 months, I should be able to get a 3500+ venice, or a 3700+ san diego (I wish), for a lot better price than if I got one as soon as possible :) . Dropping $14 Aud in three months is not a lot of money, plus I figure that the venice and san diego core cpu's will drop by way more than that if I wait just a while :D

ricey