Sign in to follow this  
catkicker

So you want to OC your rig.

About 8 months ago I got the courage up to build my first computer. My experience was adding a stick of mem. and a video card to our old P4 1.70Ghz store bought. So I read alot and took notes and started a list of componets to use, I wanted to build a rig that would be a great gaming rig with performance increase capabilities. It went great enjoyed my first build and was quite proud of myself. Then being a absolute nOOb to computers I heard of this term "overclocking" and asked around and read about it. My Gigabyte K8NS Pro MB offered some OCing options, but cooling was a issue, so here we go again, no nothing about WC'ing so read up on WC'ing ordered some Dangerden and swiftech parts and now I have a WC'ing system ready to go

then to my dismay I find out my MB has VERY limited OC'ing abilities without some V mods, Soldering iron "dont think so" :eek: So here I go again 8 month old MB and I'm ordering another MB. So now I have my new MB and its sweet install goes great no problems setting it up with my sata raid0 config. After some tortureous moments. WC'ing is up and running WC'ing blocks on CPU,GPU, Chipset. I get out my notes and calculator I get memtest, prime 95 ,A64 Tweaker Nvidia Clock gen, and a bunch of other programs for testing stability. I'm ready let the OC'ing ritual begin. Hit 2.4Ghz

easy stable no prob. I start changing multis and and trying other things and there seems to be a PROBLEM! Any guesses? Now it couldnt be my high dollar Gig.of PC 4000 Buffalo Firestick mem Na! Guy said it was hot stuff great performer. Well after doing some reasearch, yes Buffalo firestick mem is a top performer in OC'ing performance, just one problem here its a top performer for Intel not AMD.

So here I go again. Now I shopping for mem. All I can do is laugh at my ignorance and hide the sales receipts from my wife, however the new water cooling setup was impossiable to hide from her. LMAO! So now I'm checking out mem. Looks like the patriot PC 3200 XBLK is a good performer and reasonable price. Going to order

a Gig of MEM next week still reading about MEM.

So I feel much better after typing this out :rolleyes:

Welcome to the addiction. I started out by building ONE PC in the end of 2003... fast forward to May 2005 and 6 rigs later (4 of which I still own). Its amazing what you can do and what you can learn from the wonderful people here and at other OC forums.

The Patriot w/XBL is fine memory by all accounts. But right now, the price on the OCZ Platinum Rev 2 has been reduced to $200 compared to the Patriot at $222. I'd say the OCZ is the better deal at the moment. There are threads on user experiences with both memories right here in the Overclocking section:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9617

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9451

The Patriot w/XBL is fine memory by all accounts. But right now, the price on the OCZ Platinum Rev 2 has been reduced to $200 compared to the Patriot at $222. I'd say the OCZ is the better deal at the moment. There are threads on user experiences with both memories right here in the Overclocking section:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9617

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9451

Completely agreed...the OCZ stuff is almost always better, and right now you can't go wrong with tht price

Going to go for the OCZ that is a great price compared to some other online seller's.

Angry_games cute :cat: This is what I kick around 10 to 12 hours a day. :nod:

This is what I kick around 10 to 12 hours a day. :nod:

Wow, that's a big cat! Nice ride :)

haha not the kind of cat i was thinking of!

Not the kind of cat any of us was thinking about!

That's one big seafood cat you have there! lol