Sign in to follow this  
davidhammock200

DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

Hello everyone...I read an interesting arcticle showing that a lot of manufatures who claim their PSUs are multi 12V rail

....and a lot of people here sometimes arguing that having a multirail PSU is better for this and a single rail is better for that ....anyway...

This review is about the new corsair PSU...but the website did other reviews on other PSU's claiming to be multi 12V rail....well...tell me what you all think...

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/371/5

Hello everyone...I read an interesting arcticle showing that a lot of manufatures who claim their PSUs are multi 12V rail

....and a lot of people here sometimes arguing that having a multirail PSU is better for this and a single rail is better for that ....anyway...

This review is about the new corsair PSU...but the website did other reviews on other PSU's claiming to be multi 12V rail....well...tell me what you all think...

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/371/5

Very old news.

Very old news.

Then why people here still argue about single or multi rail PSUs ?

in any case...I tought a lot of people still don't know about that....

Can someone explain this 480W+ PSU requirement thing... because DFI NF4 motherboards are just like any other NF4 motherboard right? Since they use the same chipset, I don't see how that means you require another 80W compared to other motherboards...

Even davidhammock says that wattage ratings are useless... what matters is the amps. Wouldn't it be much easier to recommend PSUs with a certain amount of amps on the 12V rail?

Unlike other brands DFI boards exist for one reason. Overclocking. Their power requirement are higher then the other boards because of this.

Please fill in your location as required buy the rules. I doubt you actually live at an IP address.

Can someone explain this 480W+ PSU requirement thing... because DFI NF4 motherboards are just like any other NF4 motherboard right? Since they use the same chipset, I don't see how that means you require another 80W compared to other motherboards...

Even davidhammock says that wattage ratings are useless... what matters is the amps. Wouldn't it be much easier to recommend PSUs with a certain amount of amps on the 12V rail?

What David is saying is that a lot of companies claim that their PSUs are 750w, but then once you look at the specs you notice that the 12v rails are really weak.

480w is the minimum because DFIs are overclocking boards. As a result, they require more power for higher and more stable overclocks.

Unlike other brands DFI boards exist for one reason. Overclocking. Their power requirement are higher then the other boards because of this.

Please fill in your location as required buy the rules. I doubt you actually live at an IP address.

Is there an actual 'official' statement from DFI engineers... because there is no mention of this 'requirement' on the DFI website. What if someone buys a DFI board because of brand preference and doesn't overclock?

Travis (Happy_Games) and Robert (RGone) are both employees of DFI. They recommend 480w as the minumum.

You can try using a lesser power supply, but then it gets to the point that we can no longer assist you if you begin having problems.

They don't tell us we need good power supplies because they want us to spend more money.

Heck, they don't gain anything by telling us this.

They tell us this because many, many users have had problems. They blame the board, when really their choice of PSU is suspect.

I used to use a 450w OCZ Modstream -- a good, solid PSU by all accounts. This was when I had an SLI-DR, single core CPU, and 6600GTs in SLI.

NVIDIA came out with the 7900GT so I ordered. Put in the card, and my system was unstable. Bought a new PSU (600w OCZ GameXStream), and my problems were gone.

Is there an actual 'official' statement from DFI engineers... because there is no mention of this 'requirement' on the DFI website. What if someone buys a DFI board because of brand preference and doesn't overclock?

Since the info is contained in a sticky on this site it is officially from DFI as Happy_Games is a DFI employee. But anyway here is the original post.

Official Statement Regarding 24-pin Power Supplies

Sign in to follow this