DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking and could not find... what are the testing eq / user results / to require a "recommended endorsement?" Basically, how is dfi-street testing PSU to the OC max. Is H_G or davidhammock recommending PSU and why / how.

Just curious :)

Im not looking for "runs great" or "awesome" but.. real data on lines @ full load w/ efficiency numbers.

I test them by plugging them into a board and using that psu under the most stressful circumstances (24h+ Stock Speed Database entries, then turn around and usually pull multiple Overclock Database entries).

I test them with minimal hardware, and I test them with the most stressful hardware (dual core cpu + dual-gpu + dual hdd + whatever else I can attach to it)

I test them for as long as it takes for me to be satisfied that the psu

1. holds up under pressure

2. holds up under very little pressure (ie: will boot perfectly with less-than-nominal loads)

3. doesn't spark and catch fire

4. doesn't lose more than 2% under load as measured with a DMM

5. probably more stuff but it is 4AM

Here's an interesting question. I was wondering if my current Enermax 535W PSU (24pin/4pin) was enough to keep my motherboard stable? The manual recommands a PSU with (24pin/8pin) setup, but I figure it was for power-hungry Prescotts and its siblings.

The reason I am asking is because anytime I swap memory modules my current rig refuses to POST until I pull-out the CMOS battery for a couple of seconds and put it back in. The system also takes a few seconds after pressing the power button to power-up. Yesterday, when I was stress-testing and tweaking my system within Windows and need to reboot for changes. Windows was doing its typical seqeience until it completely froze and the LEDs on the case when blank. I naturally power-down the system and it refuse to POST, until I gave the board a 15 second breather.

The Enermax has enough power for your rig.

Hey guys, I have a question for you. I'm gonna be purchasing a Lian-Li V2000AII in the coming weeks here and I'm thinking about upgrading my Powersupply to the OCZ GamerXstream 700w as well. I love this Powerstream 520 that I have right now, but the GamerXstream has me enthused.

A question I need to know however, is how long are the cables on these PSU's? Since the Powersupply is mounted on the bottom of the case and the distance between the motherboard and the PSU is extended, I'll need a PSU that can get all the power adaptors to where they need to be.

What's really enticing to me about the GamerXstream is a the amount of Molex and Floppy dongles on that PSU along with 6 SATA power adaptors that PSU is sure to be a winner.

Thanks for the help all, I appreciate it. :)