DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

srry for the double post but I didn't read akahi's post until min's after i amde mine, personaly it sounds as though the psu might be shorting out and the dfi rig probaly pulls just a little mor epower then the other causing it not to boot.

thats my 2 cents.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I got a question. I recently purchased the Enermax Liberty 620 Watt PSU that's on the recommended list. I plug it into my system and turn the switch on the back of PSU, lights on the mobo turns on indicating there is power to the mobo. I power up the system, everything start to power on for a fraction of a sec then stop. Tried again and the same thing, system won't power on. I change the PSU to my spare and the system works fine. Took the Enermax to my other S939 setup and it works fine. I don't know what the problem is, but this is weired, can anyone help? One other thing I noticed is that when power on the system on both setups, the PSU does make a little clicking noise in the very moment I power the system on, on my DFI system it dies right after the clicking noise where as on my other system it works fine after the clicking noise.

The spec on the 2 system tested are as follows:

System 1 (Enermax didn't work):

DFI NF4 Venus

Opteron 144

Gigabyte 6600GT

Thermalright XP-120

GSkill 2GB PC4000 UCCC

System2(enermax did work):

Biostar Tforce S939 mATX

Thermaltake Big Typhoon

1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

Gigabyte 6600GT

Opteron 146

I don't know what to suggest, other than RMA'ing the Liberty 620W.

Good Luck,

Dave ;)

i no it is good for now but I have heard that the 7900 series and teh x1900 cards all pull more power then the 7800gt's did everything runs great as of now in sli but running say two 7900gt's in sli will that overload my psu? and the same for upgrading from an sli-dr to the crossfire board and throwing two x1900xt's on it.

I would really like to know and on top of that I may end up throwing an x24400+ in the mix as well whish will draw more power then my 3700+ sandy

If you feel that your Turbo Cool 510 is not enough, the 850W or 1KW (server model only) would be a gread up grade.

Good Luck,

Dave :)

Good Morning Travis

Hey I was just curious do you think its possible to get SilverStone to give you one of modular PSU's that I have for testing? I have not had one single issue as of yet, its really a wonderfull Power Supply and it would be nice too see it on the DFI recommended PSU list!

Dont know how it would fare as a dual card psu for these boards but .... Testing model provided by SIlverSTone would clear any questions up. And would certainly be in their best intrest as well! hint...hint... hint.

Hi, I got a question. I recently purchased the Enermax Liberty 620 Watt PSU that's on the recommended list. I plug it into my system and turn the switch on the back of PSU, lights on the mobo turns on indicating there is power to the mobo. I power up the system, everything start to power on for a fraction of a sec then stop. Tried again and the same thing, system won't power on. I change the PSU to my spare and the system works fine. Took the Enermax to my other S939 setup and it works fine. I don't know what the problem is, but this is weired, can anyone help? One other thing I noticed is that when power on the system on both setups, the PSU does make a little clicking noise in the very moment I power the system on, on my DFI system it dies right after the clicking noise where as on my other system it works fine after the clicking noise.

I have an Enermax 565 (535W) which does similar things, although at least the PC actually powers up: - a really loud clack-clack when I power up or power down, my UPS clicks and voltages drop. I have used a POS Seventeam 430W from my wife's PC, and my comp powers up without the drama.

This is my 3rd. Enermax, had to return 2 others after the clicking turned to failure in one and smoke from the second, so like the previous poster said, I would RMA the PSU as soon as you can or you may be facing more serious problems.

I think that can be arranged! Seeing how sales for that PSU would more than likely go through the roof!! It woud certainly be in their best intrest if it were endorsed on these forums,and if it were recognized as being a reccomended PSU for the Expert Board well I really dont have to elaborate on that one! It ccertinly would not create a spiraling donward trend in sales thats for sure.

The spec on the 2 system tested are as follows:

System 1 (Enermax didn't work):

DFI NF4 Venus

Opteron 144

Gigabyte 6600GT

Thermalright XP-120

GSkill 2GB PC4000 UCCC

System2(enermax did work):

Biostar Tforce S939 mATX

Thermaltake Big Typhoon

1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR

Gigabyte 6600GT

Opteron 146

I've unsuccessfully tried the "recommended" Enermax ELT620AWT too on both an Ultra-D and Expert board with a Gainward 7900GT GPU. Same thing mentioned here happens to me on BOTH boards, not just the Expert. My Seasonic S-12 500W does run my Oppy 165 0617 CCBBE on the Ultra-D at 2.952GHz.

I lobby to REMOVE the Enermax ELT620AWT as a recommended DFI PSU:mad:

I second that. Also one thing to note, I just called enermax trying to get some technical support, I auto connect to the technical support and got a no one is here message, then transfer to the operator, asked for tech suppport and the opterator told me they don't do that. Upon further questioning about tech support, the operator told me to call back cause their accountant is there????? This is the first time I called a manufacturer and they told me to call back because their accountant is there. :mad: I think removing the enermax PSU will save the headache for a lot of people. I knew I should of just kept my OCZ. Sigh.

Dear Sir...

Thanks for choosing Seasonic products.

This problem between a Seasonic power supply and a DFI m/b is well documented. The root cause of the problem is mainly due to the M/B not meeting Intel specification.

We would recommend that you contact DFI and ask them to upgrade your m/b with a newer revision where the 5VSB is within Intel specification.

The Seasonic power supply has many built in safety functions which asks the M/B for signal verifications and if the verification is not correct, then the PSU will not turn on in order to protect itself and the other components in the system.

Thank you for your e-mail

Best Regards,

Support Team

Sea Sonic Electronics Co., Ltd.

Tel: +886-2-2659-0338

Fax:+886-2-2659-0530

E-mail: [email protected]

Green Innovation Powers Your Life

From original thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59191