DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posed this same question to DH200, but I'm gonna throw it out here for the other experts too.

Putting together a budget build for a customer/friend who insists on carrying over some parts from an older rig.

When all said and done here's what he has or will have;

Motherboard - Gigabyte Socket939 ULi (I know I know)

Processor - AMD 3700 San Diego

Memory - 2X512 OCZ Performance Series RAM

Hard Drives - 1 SATA and 1 PATA

Video Card - ATi 9800SE (with 4-pin molex auxillary connector)

Optical Drives - 2 DVD/CDRW

Power supply (the reason for this whole post)

Fortron AX400-PN, widely regarded as a fairly decent quality psu that won't break the bank. My main concern is that the power supply is dual 12v rail with 18A on 12v1 and 16A on 12v2.

I can't find a detailed white paper or spec. sheet indicating how those rails are loaded. I guess my basic question is if this psu will power the components noted above at stock clocks (especially in consideration of the 12v 4-pin molex on the on ATi video card).

Thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

Guest Halvis

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

FSP Group (Fortron Source) Epsilon FX600-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 600W Power Supply

FSP Group (Fortron Source) Epsilon FX700-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 700W Power Supply

These 4 power supplies seem to be priced all very close, especially with the current rebates... and Im building my son a new computer.

Anyone have experience with both the OCZ & FSP? Would you recommend either brand over the other, & why? Seems the price for the 700 isn't much more than the 600 and would probably be worth the extra buckage? I have had ZERO problems using the FSP blue storm in my sig, but then im not a gamer of heavy user either. My son will be.

Thanks in advance! Glad to see one of my fave threads here still "stickied", & Congrats on the move Dave!

Hal

You can't go wrong with any of the four units you've picked above. The FSP and OCZ units are very close brethren. With the OCZ units you get fan LED and some slight internal differences on OCZ specifications.

I've been using the OCZ GameXStream 700w version since almost the first day they became available. I couldn't be happier. if your son is a gamer and wants to claim the coolest bragging rights, bite the bullet and get him the 700W GameXStream. He'll know he has the coolest dad in the world!

Guest Retratserif
You can't go wrong with any of the four units you've picked above. The FSP and OCZ units are very close brethren. With the OCZ units you get fan LED and some slight internal differences on OCZ specifications.

I've been using the OCZ GameXStream 700w version since almost the first day they became available. I couldn't be happier. if your son is a gamer and wants to claim the coolest bragging rights, bite the bullet and get him the 700W GameXStream. He'll know he has the coolest dad in the world!

So true. This PSU should be added to the recommended thread. I also was recommended this PSU for my mobo by a membber of the DFI support team. So I got it, and have not had oen issue power related since.

Fortron AX400-PN, widely regarded as a fairly decent quality psu that won't break the bank. My main concern is that the power supply is dual 12v rail with 18A on 12v1 and 16A on 12v2.

That Fortron should do just nicely for that setup

@Halvis

I have the Fortron Epsilon 600W and OCZ GameXStream 600W units in rigs at the house and office.

I've also built quite a few SLI rigs with the GameXStream 700W unit.

All have worked fine.

I prefer to spend my money with OCZ.

That Fortron should do just nicely for that setup

Thanks ExRoadie, this is also the build that has been delayed by the late arrival of my new X2 4800 (screw up courtesy of ZipZoomFly) so he got my 3700 Sandie at a great price. So he is getting a little antsy (a week past my promised delivery date), the AX400-PN arrived at the shop yesterday afternoon so I was hoping it would do the trick.

Thanks for the confirmation.