DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

Hi I'm using a Hyper Type-R 580w and I've been getting a lot of these:

2815284488.jpg

I've disabled External Cache and USB Shadow Memory which has kind of helped (I can run Powerdirector4 now) but it still happens occasionally.

Everest tell me the following:

CPU Core=1.52v

+2.5=1.17v

+3.3=3.31v

+5.0=5.03v

+12=12.03v

+5 standby=5.11v

Vbatt=3.09

Dimm3=2.92v

Dimm4=2.88v

I dont know how accurate Everest is but they seem to tally with the Bios...bit worried about the +2.5 one.

Could this be what's causing the BSOD...it boots fine but if I read from the DVD or Run anything intesive it crashes 90% of the time.

Memtest passed continually for 24 hrs.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

except you didn't take a closer look at specs :P

only 18A 12V rail, thats rather low. I've got a silverstone st365 that has a 25A combined 12V rails and its only 360w. Besides if you want tech support from DFI you gotta go 480w+, Its right there on page 1 of this thread in big letters. and no not everything thermaltake is quality :P

Actually the silverstone Strider ST60F has 4 rails for max 42 A on 12V at 500 watts.........

Why would it cost $160 with a single 18A on 12 V and SLI certified.

Much quieter than Zeus series and gets about 75% eff.

Hi I'm using a Hyper Type-R 580w and I've been getting a lot of these:

2815284488.jpg

I've disabled External Cache and USB Shadow Memory which has kind of helped (I can run Powerdirector4 now) but it still happens occasionally.

Everest tell me the following:

CPU Core=1.52v

+2.5=1.17v

+3.3=3.31v

+5.0=5.03v

+12=12.03v

+5 standby=5.11v

Vbatt=3.09

Dimm3=2.92v

Dimm4=2.88v

I dont know how accurate Everest is but they seem to tally with the Bios...bit worried about the +2.5 one.

Could this be what's causing the BSOD...it boots fine but if I read from the DVD or Run anything intesive it crashes 90% of the time.

Memtest passed continually for 24 hrs.

Please test with a DVM. ;)

David or Angry

Wish I had known about DFI Street and this thread in particular about 5 days ago before I ordered my system in cluding a Thermaltake 430W single rail 12v system (18A). I guess I am hosed and will have to RMA it and get a different one.

I am a little bit late coming into this thread but did not pick up where you determined the 34a, dual rail requirement.. was this from testing done in your shop? Sure can't find it on the DFI website or in the manual anywhere, nor on AnandTech either for that matter.

Just one last question (desperation hope) - since I am definitely using a low class video card on this super hot mobo, will the 12v amperage and dual rail requirement still apply?

Thx

Driller

@Driller

To put it most accurately... we go with what works.

Many early adopters of the DFI nF4 boards were plagued with boot issues and general stability problems. Through trial and error we slowly divined that power was an issue.

Angry_Games was the first to pick up on this issue when he resolved the issues with a 530W Fortron PSU.

DFI tech provided new guidelines in these messages...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...75&postcount=13

The engineers designed the board according to the ATX 12V 2.01 spec which calls for two 12V rails.

Now no one is saying you can't be stable with a good single rail PSU. There are forum members that are very happy with power supplies that don't meet the minimum requirement since their rigs are stable.

Just be aware that we've seen thousands of issues resolved by getting a high quality power supply like those listed in this thread...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Enjoy!

David or Angry

Wish I had known about DFI Street and this thread in particular about 5 days ago before I ordered my system in cluding a Thermaltake 430W single rail 12v system (18A). I guess I am hosed and will have to RMA it and get a different one.

I am a little bit late coming into this thread but did not pick up where you determined the 34a, dual rail requirement.. was this from testing done in your shop? Sure can't find it on the DFI website or in the manual anywhere, nor on AnandTech either for that matter.

Just one last question (desperation hope) - since I am definitely using a low class video card on this super hot mobo, will the 12v amperage and dual rail requirement still apply?

Thx

Driller

What is the best PS I can get for 100-120 for my system plus another GC? If it makes a huge difference I would go more, but im very limited in my budget. Also what do yall think of the Enermax Liberty http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817194003

Would it give me enough power to expand to another graphics card or a 7800GTX or X800GTO

oh and why did the sticker on my board recommend a 400watt 20 amp Power supply for a setup more demanding than mine when yall say 480 watts 30amps. Im going with your recomendation but why does the sticker say something that yall consider way under powered?

oh and why did the sticker on my board recommend a 400watt 20 amp Power supply for a setup more demanding than mine when yall say 480 watts 30amps. Im going with your recomendation but why does the sticker say something that yall consider way under powered?

A lot of times what the manufacturers say isn't quite ideal. In the factory, they don't exactly have time to test their products in thousands of configurations for hundreds of hours. This is why revised manuals are commonplace. But when it's your job to test things in thousands of different configurations for hundreds of hours, well then that's different.

Roadie

Thanks a bunch for the very concise and useful reply, and especially the link. Wish I could train some of my TIS folks to be as succinct. As you say, with my very low demand system, perhaps I could get by. I will probably secure a 2-rail system anyway, but that is going to take a few days.

BIG question: If I try to test my new setup with the single rail PS, could I be risking damage or just running the risk of getting an unstable system?