DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does ANYONE read the minimum PSU requirements? What is it with everyone and the constant barrage of "is this 20 pin 430 watt psu enough?" and it's usually for a PSU that's within 20 bucks or so of what 90% of the people around here keep reccommending :confused: I don't get it...I don't even HAVE an NF4 mobo and I seem to have grasped the minimum requirement. I can understand for those that already have psu's wanting (and hoping) to keep them, but for those that are building from scratch and reading these threads...Are ya just stubborn?????? :shake:

Does ANYONE read the minimum PSU requirements? What is it with everyone and the constant barrage of "is this 20 pin 430 watt psu enough?" and it's usually for a PSU that's within 20 bucks or so of what 90% of the people around here keep reccommending :confused: I don't get it...I don't even HAVE an NF4 mobo and I seem to have grasped the minimum requirement. I can understand for those that already have psu's wanting (and hoping) to keep them, but for those that are building from scratch and reading these threads...Are ya just stubborn?????? :shake:

simma down now!

:)

What we have here is a failure to communicate!

The real problem is the inflated numbers by some PSU companies. "produces 5 jigawatts at -400 degrees F" and such.

I was never ignorant enough to by those 1000 watt 6X9 speakers for my car.

That said! Many times in the past few months we've seen that a quality PSU such as the OCZ ModStream 420 has the guts to run a non-SLI rig even though it doesn't meet the DFI 480W recommendation. It's our own fault for passing some PSUs that people will keep asking. Now if someone is asking if the JazzMaster 500W PSU will run their rig I would say no since that rating is as 25C.

I just loved Stother Martin in Cool Hand Luke.

You do not need 480W as a minimum, what is needed is a good quality PSU i currently have a 420W OCZ Powerstream and my rails do not budge under prime95 load and OCd. If anything my rails are a tad overvolted which is right where you want them. And the heat coming out of the PSU under load is only warm not even hot.

You do not need 480W as a minimum, what is needed is a good quality PSU i currently have a 420W OCZ Powerstream and my rails do not budge under prime95 load and OCd. If anything my rails are a tad overvolted which is right where you want them. And the heat coming out of the PSU under load is only warm not even hot.

So the most bad butt, highest of quality, 350w PSU will do the job then eh? I know that's an extreme example, but in essence it is what you are saying and I guess that's the reason people KEEP ASKING over and over and over...DFI say's one thing and users who get lucky say another and the penny pincher listens to the lucky user cuz he's tellin' them what they want to hear...and round and round we go :shake:

Well I’m not saying go out and buy a 350W and run SLI, but you also don’t have to go out and buy a 520W PSU unless you are actualy using SLi then maybe it would be a good idea to do so. I think 480W should be the reccommend wattage for a PSU not the minimum. We all know the Wattage is a factor but not nearly as big of one as stable rails and enough amperage. There are many more factors to a stable PSU.

Im running a antec 480w 20 pin PSU, cant seem to pass prime 95 but everything else, so i listened to eberyone bla bla bla about 24 pin psu's so i begged a m8 to lend me one and it made no difference whatsoever.

So there you go.

Wattage ratings are IMO almost meaningless.

(1) POS PS (Deer, Powmax, etc) may be rated at anything, the numbers are meaningless.

(2) For today's systems, it is ALL about the +12V amperage, that & the quality of the PS is ALL that matters.

For single VC systems we want a min of +12V@24A & more is better.

For dual VC systems (SLI) we want a min of +12V@30A & more is better.

Quality: PC P&C, OCZ, Antec, Enermax, Fortron & total +12V amperage!

Dave