DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

Quote:

MSI Turbostream 600W

Ok, what is the question?

The refresh your memory a bit it had to do with the amount of current that the MSI Turbostream 600W can pump out per 12V+ rail. According to what I found out directly from MSI is that the rails do at least 20 Amps per 12V+ rail. It is not SLI certified but then again is it really neccesary for it to be certified?

I know that it hasnt been tested but so were the other now recommended PSUs at one time. If there is nothing else new that crops up that catches my eye then I will take a chance and try it out and use my multimeter to read the amps per 12V+ rail under idle and under load.

Hopefully it will be a great PSU for the money.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And almost always reads considerably higher than in the Bios or Software. In my case, my a2v rail read 11.97 in the Bios and Everest, but with a DMM is around 12.23.

Of course, don't just assume you can add it on either. ;)

That's odd because EVEREST is telling me my +12V rail is at 12.16V.

The refresh your memory a bit it had to do with the amount of current that the MSI Turbostream 600W can pump out per 12V+ rail. According to what I found out directly from MSI is that the rails do at least 20 Amps per 12V+ rail. It is not SLI certified but then again is it really neccesary for it to be certified?

I know that it hasnt been tested but so were the other now recommended PSUs at one time. If there is nothing else new that crops up that catches my eye then I will take a chance and try it out and use my multimeter to read the amps per 12V+ rail under idle and under load.

Hopefully it will be a great PSU for the money.

Jeaze_Mcleod, I think Davidhammock is doing a great job helping us who don't want the risk of a failing PSU. If you're an adventurous man it could be pretty interesting to try something untested (at least among us). I hope you report your findings.

Nevertheless I firmly believe in the principles in this and other threads: until it firmly tested by people we can trust it's not a piece of hardware we will recommend.

Nevertheless I firmly believe in the principles in this and other threads: until it firmly tested by people we can trust it's not a piece of hardware we will recommend.
That is what makes DFI-Street so very special,

we actually test, test & re-test before recommending something! :angel:

then I will take a chance and try it out and use my multimeter to read the amps per 12V+ rail under idle and under load.

So you are going to take a brand new PSU and disassemble it? Each rail is going to have multiple connectors soldered to it. Since you will be able to test only a single wire with your meter all the connectors will have to be unsoldered from the board. soldered to a single wire and that wire soldered back to the board. That will have to be done for each 12V rail. Both rails need to monitored at the same time. The voltage for each rail will also have to be measured at the time the current readings are taken. At the same time AC ripple will have to be measured to insure it doesn't go out of spec.

So at a minimum you will need 2 DMMs with current probes, 2 more for voltage measurements and a 2 channel scope for AC ripple. I'm looking forward to your findings.

So you are going to take a brand new PSU and disassemble it? Each rail is going to have multiple connectors soldered to it. Since you will be able to test only a single wire with your meter all the connectors will have to be unsoldered from the board. soldered to a single wire and that wire soldered back to the board. That will have to be done for each 12V rail. Both rails need to monitored at the same time. The voltage for each rail will also have to be measured at the time the current readings are taken. At the same time AC ripple will have to be measured to insure it doesn't go out of spec.

So at a minimum you will need 2 DMMs with current probes, 2 more for voltage measurements and a 2 channel scope for AC ripple. I'm looking forward to your findings.

No soldering necessary, use clamp-on amperage probes. :angel:

No soldering necessary, use clamp-on amperage probes. :angel:
So at a minimum you will need 2 DMMs with current probes.

Two much thinking while I was typing. lol

I might not be able to go to the extreme of monitoring each rail at the same time. I will be limited to just one rail at a time im afraid, but nevertheless I will try to experiment with it. For now I would only be able to stress the system with one VGA card and then maybe later down the road I will try one more time with two Geforce 7950 Gts in SLI and that will be the determining factor.

This wont be done anytime soon since I am still missing my eVGA Geforce 1950 GT KO and 2 Gigs of Corsair XMS. Hopefully I will be recieving those parts in the next couple of weeks.

Im running my NF4 on a 430 watt PSU rock stable @ 2620mhz. Whats with this forum and the recommended PSU's? Best? #1, #2, #3? OK.... thats a personal opinion and not a fact. The guys at Tomshardware, Anandtech, and Xbitlabs doesnt seem to think so. And whats up with the DO Not Buy the Enermax 620 PSU? Maybe the one you tested had a defect? My friend has the the Enermax 620 PSU powering his Lanparty NF4 and he doesnt have any problems. I mean who evers in charge here should really clean up the forum. It's really misleading. And kinda embarassing. I persoanally come here to see what other users have to say and to get help from the average user. Please Keep your personally opinion as is and dont put it up as a fact. I thought this was an official forum supported by DFI. And whats with mad russian? If he's a mod he should get banned from the forums, and if he works for DFI he should get fired. He flames people all the time, PMS maybe? ummm... Would expect better from college graduates but oh well I guess everyone isn't so fortunate.

How about the Cooler Master iGreen series that are on sale now at SVC? They are priced well, have a 120mm quite fan, and are very efficient. URL codes point to ACBEL POLYTECH INC as the manufacturer. Anyone have experience with either Cooler Master or the manufacturer?

Thanks

How about the Cooler Master iGreen series that are on sale now at SVC? They are priced well, have a 120mm quite fan, and are very efficient. URL codes point to ACBEL POLYTECH INC as the manufacturer. Anyone have experience with either Cooler Master or the manufacturer?

Thanks

Cooler Master has several differend lines from "not so good" to "pretty good",

others have posted in other forms that iGreen are "pretty good" PSU's,

however as they have never been tested with DFI mobos, they can NOT be recommended.