DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

any info on this psu, is it known to run well with dfi boards?

FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX600-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 600W All-In-One Power Supply 115/230 V CSA,IEC,UL,CE,TUV

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817104014

note: quad 12v@15a each.. is that alright?

The only review I've seen - I mean if you're looking for some information - is this one:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/dis...su-roundup.html

Besides that, I'm personally very satisfied, but that's just based on my own experience (it's extremely quite and neat, even though it's powerful). The only problem for me, and it’s not relevant, has been that the cables are of a very generous length and I just have a mid-tower case.

FSP already has a good reputation, so it's a pretty safe choice.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys know what?

This ocz 600w adj-sli does fluctuate alot.

Especially when it gets heated up.

It's the hotest part of my rig, even on the oppiset side of my rig away from the cpu.

Adjusting the rail a tiny bit to peak it stops the fluctuation.

Sorta sucks thoug that I find myself re-adjusting it ever so offen though because of it's heat issues.

Latency is effected by a noticeable amount when the bigger fluctuations are in effect.

The poor cooling of the psu is likely to blame.

The fans in it spin so slow they probably don't do a darn thing for it.

So I'm gonna take it apart today and fix that, which is sorta wrong if you ask me.

I should'nt have to do that.

It is a good psu though, but having to adjust it just to get it working correctly...

I still like it.

Again the comment on the "you're not an overclocker thing..."

Whatever...

I'm not sure if this post constitues as a post that should be deleted or not.

I'm just stating my findings with this psu.

I don't think the fluctuation is big.

I don't have a dmm yet.

What I think happens is the rail drops a tiny bit, therefor making everything in the pse run less optimal, like caps or something.

This in turn doubles what I get for fluctuation in my mobo.

Making everything slow down and stuff less stable, etc.

Oh and as well as increasing my cpu heat because it heats up with more fluctuaction.

This would be my last post in this thread.

I'll continue study on my own with a dmm.

If you got a ocz.

Cool the thing down, move it, whatever you can do to keep it cool.

These suckers run hot.

Was 28c cpu, the psu was 39c.

Edit:

Cold boot issues...

I have a hard time booting too, totally diffrent spec though here.

notcied this after I swapped cpu fans.

From a tonrado 80mm to a panaflo 120mm.

Now the panaflo uses less amps.

But for some reason now I notcie that the panaflo's, bnoth of them, take a sec to start.

My machine allways boots though of course.

But this thing where the fans are hesitating...

Wierd because this was'nt happening when I had an 80mm tornado and 1 panaflo.

Now I only have 2 panaflo's, and using even less amps on the +12v rail.

Am I using to much power now in the other rails and not enough in the +12v?

I dn...

I'm wondering if I add my tornado to the loop, even if it's hanging outside my case, if it'll fix that now...

I may end up checking that out later on.

this was somehting I was'nt gonna bring up because it did'nt make sence.

But I was going back to read to the point where I last read and noticed this suppose cold boot problem right away.

I've never had a cold boot problem.

With any psu or rig.

Have had some warm boot probs though but those are gone now with a idffrent bios rev.

This does not pertain to anyone in this thread though.

Strange issue also effect other manafactuer's boards indeed they do.

Like dead bios chips and such even.

hyper is a 2nd rate psu company, i suggest you dont use it with your system and return for a more reliable brand.

it probably came with a 20 pin connector cuz it tried to save money and add more bling to it

Do you base this opinion on experience? I believe not.

I have used the Hiper Type-R 580W for quite a while, and it certainly has more to it than "bling". Whatever you think the connectors they use from the source, PSU, is a very smart and wise move.

20-pin connector? You probably don't know what you're talking about. It has like all other PSU:s of ATX 2.x standard a 20+4, which means it backwards compatible with older systems.

The weakness, like for some other modular PSU:S, is efficiency. It’s no problem to run on max - and the specification isn’t overestimated - with stable current. However on less load the efficiency drops.

"2nd rate company"? Did you work for them? I've had some contact with them and it's obvious they're working hard on improvements (everything might be improved eventually). Besides that I don't think the Hiper would be included in the recommendation list here on this forum, if your statement would be true.

Why I respond in this manner? I just don't like baseless statements... even if it would have been about my "enemy".

I bought a new motherboard today and was smart enough to know that i was probably going to have to upgrade my power supply. So i started searching, i came to this website here and it all started out simple. 480W+ and 24 pin connector.

Hmmm sounded simple enough so i kept reading after about 25 pages i started to skip a few here and there. I have been reading for nearly 4 hours now flipping back and forth between sites and so on and so forth.

My new Mobo is due in 2 days time and if i cant figure what power supply to use im just gonna send it back. also i think that if DFI is going to have so much trouble finding compatible Power supplies for there product they should add that as a disclaimer before you buy it or at least have a certified list of ones that work.

Anyway, i have read every review for this motherboard and it seems the best out there for what im willing to spend and would like to keep it if at all possible.

Here are my specs. I do not care to OC at this time and if i want to later ill buy a new power supply than. right now i just want to make sure i can get it put together and running when it arrives

DFI Lanparty SLI-dr

amd 64 venice core 3200+ 2.0G

Nvidia 6600gt PCI-E

1gig kingston hyper-x dual channel

1 - 40g maxtor hard drive

1 - Liteon DVD _ RW

Please tell me what to use ive read and read and am more confused now than when i started i do not wish to pay much more than $100. Im sorry but im cheap and cannot believe that a board this highly reviewed could be so hard to accomadate or maybe im just reading to much into it as maybe most of this techno stuff is for overclocking i just want my computer to work i dont need any thing fancy just whats above. Like i said when i decide to add on ill get a new PSU right now i just want something cheap thatll work til my head stops spinning.

P.S. im not bitter im just confused

Thanks Kid Camio

Anyway, i have read every review for this motherboard and it seems the best out there for what im willing to spend and would like to keep it if at all possible.

Im sorry but im cheap and cannot believe that a board this highly reviewed could be so hard to accomadate...

First of all, that is certainly one of the best boards you can get, and certainly one of the most expensive, which I'm sure you noticed when getting your rig together. Being this expensive, and being able to put out good power to your components, requires a powerful psu with stable rails, and there are certainly a lot of poor excuses for power supplies being sold right now. The awesomeness of these boards really doesn't become apparent until you do start overclocking, so I hope you do have that in your future, but even at stock the board requires GOOD power to run.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ViewProducts.hm...=Power+Supplies

Check out the 570 watt one. Keep in mind these psus don't have dual pci-e connections, so if you ever plan to go sli in the future you might want to grab a different one. Its pretty much the most inexpensive PSU we recommend here, as an alternative you could browse forum for sale sections, might be able to get a superior one for the same price. If/when you do start overclocking, this should be sufficient to get you to at least 95% of the top-of-the-line power supply.

By the way, go ahead and put your proposed rig specs in a sig for us. It's the rules and all. ;)

I am extremely happy with the response. I was reading so much information about the subject that after a while it all started to sound as tho it was all contradicting itself. Thats when i realized that i was going to need a little help.

very Quick Response :) TY I ordered the PSU imediately after reading this. if it lasts 4-6 weeks without blowin something up i will be very happy just til i can read more and research the subject. Its not that i wanted a cheap one i definitely want to play around with this Mobo later but right now i just needed a 6 week window til i get everything sorted out as what all i want to add to this computer.

Anyway TY very much i have added a sig i will updated it to be more specific after i get the Mobo and that put together.

AGAIN TY VERY MUCH

Kidcamio

Hi guys,

Can someone please advise me on a PSU, I have 7600GT 256MB PCI-Express Graphics Card and was wondering if the 620W Enermax ELT620AWT Liberty

unit will be enough if i wanted to in the future run a SLi setup?

Also is it a good chouce with the DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert? Like are there any problems when using it with that MOBO?

My current specs are as follows-

DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert

AMD Opteron 165 Socket 939 - Dual Core

Mushkin XP PC4000 2x1GB Black Series

Leadtek GeForce 7600GT, 256MB, PCI-E x16

Western Digital 74G Raptor, 10,000RPM 8MB SATA

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB 7200rpmSATA II

Thanks for your help guys.

Will a TPII550 be a good choice for the follwoing system?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00082OJQ...4919005-9485637

DFI Ultra D

1-2 gig of Corsair VS

Oc'd 3000+ Venice

7900 GT

74 Raptor + one large hd later

2 optical drives

Audigy 2

2 case fans

It will end up costing me $90 shipped and supports sli, etc. Should I get this power supply or grab something else?

Thanks!