DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nub question here, but when a PSU has dual 12V rails, does that mean the total amps out is a combination of the two? What is the advantage of two 12V rails? i'm looking at this: http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=27

This will be sufficient correct? it says 34A total on 12V rails so is that my answer? I'm planning to OC if that changes things?

nub question here, but when a PSU has dual 12V rails, does that mean the total amps out is a combination of the two? What is the advantage of two 12V rails? i'm looking at this: http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=27

This will be sufficient correct? it says 34A total on 12V rails so is that my answer? I'm planning to OC if that changes things?

It seems to be easier for manufacturers to make stabile but powerful PSU:s by using more than one 12V rail. Mine for example has four rails.

But as you see of the figures there’s a maximum for each rail and also maximum for all rails together. The specification shows also a maximum for them combined with the 3.3V and 5V.

Enermax make good power-supplies, and the one you refer to will be enough.

I recommend taking the OCZ power supplies off the recommended list due to cold boot problems. And OCZ should take the nf4 expert and venus off the list of recommended motherboards for their supplies (if they had such a list).

I bought mine based on this:

THE OCZ POWERSTREAM 520W HAS PROVEN TO BE THE BEST ALL ROUND PSU FOR DFI N4 MOBOS!

and now certain mods are saying it's the fault of this particular model (and the 600w)power supply. Nevermind other brands of powersupplies sometimes show the same problem.

Anyway take all the powersupplies that are listed in the cold boot thread and remove them from the recommended list.

It seems to be easier for manufacturers to make stabile but powerful PSU:s by using more than one 12V rail. Mine for example has four rails.

But as you see of the figures there’s a maximum for each rail and also maximum for all rails together. The specification shows also a maximum for them combined with the 3.3V and 5V.

Enermax make good power-supplies, and the one you refer to will be enough.

So which is better for OC, multiple 12V rails or one beefy 12V rail?

Anyway take all the powersupplies that are listed in the cold boot thread and remove them from the recommended list.

But the problem isn't the motherboard. While the Expert might have a high current draw on the 5V rail, it seems the variable is the new high wattage power supplies.

They seem to be more "fragile" about rail loading than the older units.

I've had exactly ONE Expert board not run with an OCZ PowerStream 600. ONE.

But the same board works perfectly with a Fortron Epsilon 600.

I've watched this issue from the very beginning. If anyone tells you that ONLY DFI has "cold boot" issues, they're either grossly misinformed or lying.

But don't take my word for it. Check other manufacturer forums and see the "cold boot" issues with the very same power supplies. Different boards, same issue.

I have sent back my Seasonic S12 500 because DFI said that it was incompatible, whereas it worked on another rig.

Here the answer :

The likely problem is the use of the Seasonic S12 PSU. We have numerous reports of this PSU type failing on our Lan Party boards and do not recommend their usage. Please see the following link for a list of recommended PSUs: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854. In any future correspondence please include the specs of the Videocard and memory used in the system. Include brand and model number.

But on the first page Seasonic is recommended !!!!

Antec (Smart Power), Cooler Master, Enermax, Fortron, Hiper, OCZ (ModStream),

Seasonic, Silverstone (Zeus), Sparkle, Tagan, Vantec & XClio: Known Good Quality & often at Low Prices.

All of the above are very good PSU's & are recommended.

My personal choice is the OCZ PowerStream 520W for just about any highend, high-performance PC.

If you have the bucks, the PC P&C 510's are "THE BEST PC PSU's MADE".

One special note, if you require extreme quiet the the Seasonic S-12 500W/600W were made for you.

So which one can I buy ? Enermax Liberty (said incompatible too), Hyper 580 ??

OCZ powerstream and Epsilon are hard to find here (I live in France). Thanx.

@exroadie

my main point is to take them off the recommended list if they are the culprits

Then you'd be left with nothing and that wouldn't work either.

These are the best possible units for success. If you get one that won't work replace it.

As imperfect as that sounds it's our only option.