Sign in to follow this  
needmorstuff

NF4 COLD/WARM Boot Problems...Read this.

232 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes I am going to rma my board
    • yes I am going to try and work through it
    • no problems at all

The 380 watt power supply could be the problem.

sparx

Granted the True Power is borderline, but I don't think it is really the problem. I've seen too many posts with 500+ watt power supplies having the same issue. Also, I can hold down the insert key to get around the problem so I doubt it's the PS.

Hi, just built a NF4 box and had this problem (drove me insane). Found this thread and WOW, what an issue. There were lots of twists and tangents in the thread, but your post stood out as the most relevant.

I hang at two LEDs with no video on DVI. The problem was worse after I flashed to the latest BIOS. The thread has grown somewhat cold, so I'm hoping there is a fix somewhere, BUT I can boot everytime if I hold down the INS or DEL keys until I hear the first post beep. It may actually work with any key...

I don't know why holding a key down would make a difference if this is a NF4 or BIOS related issue, but it might... Anyway, I would be interested if you have any additional info on this problem.

Thanks!!!!

Hi

This has been discussed over and over here at dfi-street. Since I need this board for a research project (because it has a PCIe x4 slot) we have been reluctant to give up and throw in the towel.

Since the receiving this board about a month ago we have had persistant startup problems. Once the system is up everything is okay - more than okay in fact.

Luckily, for us, we are a bunch of Computer Science and Electrical Engineer Ph.Ds and graduate students. Today we put our two test setups on the bench and decided to at least narrow down what's going on. First, we tested the power supplies (which are listed in my sig) and they checked out fine - no problems there with either one.

All along we have suspected that the problem has something to do with the BIOS startup code or our video card's BIOS (eVGA 6800GT). One of the grad students here (at UCLA by the way) noticed that whenever we were having a problem (nothing on the screen) the system still appeared to be booting up - just nothing on the screen. When this happens we sometimes eventually get video once the system boots all the way into Windows or Linux. To test this we tried to reboot from the grub prompt - bingo the system reboots. Okay we are getting someplace.

We then dug out a post card (port 80 card, debug card, etc) and plugged that into one of the systems. Viola much more info. Often the system was stopping for a time with a code of 75 or 7F. 7F is where the screen is supposed to be put back into text mode. Okay maybe some more info. Most of the time, however, the system would boot - just no video most of the time.

The video would fail (no signal to monitor) most of the time. Although the system appeared to boot most of the time. There were some attempts where the system would just hang during POST.

At first we thought the problem might be that we did not have a floppy or any IDE devices attached. we figured that since we were showing a post code of 75 there might be a problem with this. We plugged an IDE cdrom and disk in and removed out SATA cdrom and disk. Same problem as before, so not the problem.

Then I remember a post by someone (sorry I can't remember who) who was having this same/similar problem. He said that by plugging in a PCI graphics card the system would post and boot every time. Okay, but where to get a PCI graphics card. Off to the graveyard! eventually we give up and decide to use the DVI to VGA adapter and attach that to our 6800gt (it has two DVI connectors) and use a VGA cable to connect to our display (listed below).

What do you know? It know POST/BOOTS EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL!

Put back the DVI and bam! problems again...

We have tried the graphics cards in other systems (ASUS A8N-SLI, Dell 8400, HP workstation) and they work everywhere!

Just to be sure we plug in a 6800 Ultra and then a Quadro 4400 we have from nVidia followed by a couple of PNY 6600GTs and all exhibit the SAME behavior. DVI - problems, VGA - no problems.

---

So, we think there is a problem with/in the BIOS and using DVI (or more likely, initializing it) with this board (and at least some video cards or LCD's) - or at the very least our two boards (consecutive serial numbers #U51008752, #U51008753) have bad BIOS chips.

We have ordered another one of these boards which we hope will show up tomorrow to make sure this is the problem. We also have new memory (OCZ Rev.2 3200), power supply (PC Power and Cooling 510-SLI), another 6800GT and a PCI graphics card to test these ideas further.

---

If you HAVE an nForce4 SLI-DR (or I suppose the D) and are having the strange, sometimes it boots and sometimes it doesn't, issue AND you are using a DVI connection to your LCD then PLEASE try changing over to a VGA cable and report back here what happens.

Also, please post results using STOCK settings. Do not introduce more problems by trying to overclock your board before you can get it to boot up stably - common sense really.

Look forward to what others experience...

I think i might have a solution to this for some. i have a msi neo4-f motherboard and been dealing with almost the exact same problem. mine really seemed to stem from a power issue. after leaving the computer off for 4 or more hours and then trying to boot the mobo froze trying to initalize the video card. some times the card got power and not the fan other times no power at all and sometimes everything got power i just never got anthing on screen. so i looked and look and read and read. went through 2 mobo's 3 gpu's and 2 psu's. but what has seemed to do it for me was upping my chipset voltage in my bios. that will increase the voltage to the pci-e port. i went from 1.5v to 1.6v. hope this helps.

specs:

amd 64 3200+ venice

msi neo4-f

1x1gb patriot pc3200 ram

BFG 6800gt

WD 80gb ATA100 HD

Antec neo power 480

This is really STARTING to piss me off....

Ok this has been going on every since i have gotten this board....

Ok to start things off here we go.

SLI-DR board.....BFG6800GT OC HAS DUAL DVI (NO BOOT)

MSI6200TC Has DVI and Vga...BOOTS FINE.........

I have a PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC 510W so it's not that...i have also tried Antec true power II 500+ watt whatever it is...and a 480 Enermax PSU...

NOW...i have bios 623-3 on it...If i get the machine to BOOT...i keep it on. Now if i turn it off it won't boot and takes me HOURS to get it to boot with the 6800GT...

WTF is the problem??? Don't go off and tell me it's ram either...or PSU problems...or anything ELSE....it's THE MOBO AND THE VID CARD....I have 2 SLI-DR boards...both have 623-3 bios on them...SAME PROBLEM ON BOTH BOARDS...

I have 3 6800GT's 2 with dual DVI...NO BOOT....and one that is vga/dvi...it will Boot SOMTIMES.....NOT ALL THE TIME....I am calling out the mods on this one...How do we fix this problem guys???It's all over...PLZ TELL US HOW....This is getting annoying....

OK.....there is somthing going on with the DVI and SLI-DR board...

i have 6200TC with a VGA/DVI connectors on it...VGA works just fine...everything on it boots great...

The DVI does not...it doesn't even work at all...My 6800GT has dual DVI...so ya...no boot with that one...

SO are there any bios's that fix this problem? Anything BETA???

MODS....i'm calling ya out again....this is not a psu, ram, cpu, or anything else other than A VID CARD AND MOBO PROBLEM....It has to do somthing with the DVI...So WTF IS GOING ON MODS???? you have an answer for us? a beta bios? what?

i have 2 SLI-DR boards bought within 6 months of each other....BOTH do the SAME THING.......BOTH HAVE 623-3 bios.....so what is mods?

Oh i forgot somthing here...

Also when i plug the 6800GT in. There is a red light that turns on when it gets power. Well most of the time it doesn't power up....the red light flashes..thats it..

It will take me 92386459872634 times to get the damn thing to power up...WTF is up with this board???

Calling all mods.......HEY MODS...do you guys know anything? :mad:

Zeus']Oh i forgot somthing here...

Also when i plug the 6800GT in. There is a red light that turns on when it gets power. Well most of the time it doesn't power up....the red light flashes..thats it..

It will take me 92386459872634 times to get the damn thing to power up...WTF is up with this board???

Calling all mods.......HEY MODS...do you guys know anything? :mad:

You need to read and fully understand mR.Rgone's reply here..

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...232&postcount=4

GL !

I have the same problem with my 7800 GTX and not booting cold. It seems that many people have this problem. Why are we getting no official response or support? I have e-mailed DFIweb.com and no response. What is the deal. I have another post that I recently posted that explains my problem in detail but is is almost exactly the same. Do we need to RMA the board or what?????

Thanks

Rob

My prior post

Hi guys this is my first post. I have been working out the kinks in my rig for the past 3 weeks. I have one problem that will not go away. With my LCD monitor connected to my evga 7800 gtx video card I have alot of trouble getting a video signal. It is connected via DVI.

Here is the problem in order to get a video signal I have to restart the computer 10+ times. Sometimes it will work before 5 tries sometimes more than 10. If it is a warm reboot 6 times out of 10 I get a video signal right away. For cold boots forget about it.

I have tried everything. Rgones trouble RAM settings, I have switched out the RAM and the problem still occurs. I have searched these forums and there are people with similar problems but there is no solution. When I try a DVI to VGA connector the problem is less likely to occur but still happens. I have the new Nvdia drivers and I have tried different versions no solution. What do you think?

When I do get a video signal at the bios screen it says I am in safe mode pleaseq resetting CPU frequency? Not sure what that means.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Thanks

Just wondering if most of the failures to see the boot sequence are because of using flat panels since I presume crts don't have dvi inputs. If so, the issue may not be confined to Nvidia chips. This problem was seen nearly 2 years ago on AvsForums where the boot sequence was not seen using dvi outputs. For me it only occurred when I was using 2 displays. My dlp would not show up...for others it would happen all the time. I can't remember if there was any resolution but I'm sure manufacturers have known about this as potential problem for a while.

Interesting! I just completed the rig #2 below, and have only done a few cold reboots. Now that you mention this, twice it has given me a blank screen(DVI connection to flat panel), and would not turn off. I had to turn off the power supply to shut it down. It would boot normally after doing that. The machine has been off for a couple days as I am waiting for a LEGITIMATE copy of XP to get here tomorrow(guy tried to sell me a counterfeit version--he did not succeed). So, i went to fire it up just now, but forgot to turn on my monitor. I finally turned the monitor on in midboot, and everything came up fine. I will let you know if I continue to have the same issue when I reformat and reinstall, and if keeping the monitor off until midboot is a cure. BTW, rig #1 has absolutely no issues, even when using the same DVI monitor.

• MotherBoard 1: (Ultra-D) Runs along mildly OC'd for some months and then dies mid-writing (I use the system to write sooftware, etc.)
  • MotherBoard 2: (SLI-DR) runs fine for some minutes and then problem in this thread so severe had to be junked.
  • Board 3: (Ultra-D) Without the problem but will not be stable no matter what.
  • MotherBoard 4: Seems alive, in a new case but symptoms:
    • Cold boots fine
    • Shuts down fine
    • Few seconds later yellow light next to RAM goes out
    • If said light is on, pressing the power button will cause it to extinguish
    • When booting 1st diag LED to exitinguish will flicker. Is this normal?
    • Only Cure: Unplug AC, count to 10, plug AC and boot.

The best (albeit partial) cure came from new memory (G.Skill 1GBx2 DDR500 which while it will not do 300MHz at all, it will do 250 very nicely. But only after I upped the vDIMM to 3.1v (my heart skipped a beat when I did that :-)

My 2cents: Like others I suspect power sequencing on the MB. Observe the 24pin connector, the 4pin connector, the HD-like (you call it Molex, but Molex designed _all_ these crappy connectors way back when), and just not to be left alone, the 3.5" floppy connector.

I would suspect the new motherboard (Expert?) has better power circuits. Will DFI upgrade mine?

Thanx!

Simon

BTW, how many of you troubled souls are housing the MB in an aluminum case? A crazy theory at work...