NF4 COLD/WARM Boot Problems...Read this.

232 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes I am going to rma my board
    • yes I am going to try and work through it
    • no problems at all

Surely some1 has tried a "defective" gfx card on a different mobo by now.?

yes previously in the post, the cards that would not work on this board, were tested on other boards and worked fine, I believe it was the 6800GT

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you try the pencil erasar treatment?

In case this is a lost art:

Start with a regular yellow pencil equipped with pinkish eraser tip - A new or very clean one.

Prime the eraser by trying to erase a clean rough surface - the back of a new yellow pad, stretched

clean cotton cloth.

Take the card out of the computer, statically grounded etc.

Erase all contact points while holding the card with contacts down.

Do _not_ go vrazy, just a few strokes will do.

Saturate a paper towel (I use clean, white cotton FoL, or camera lens tissues if you have those with

pure alcohol. (No beer, wine, or such :-)

Wipe said contacts carefully, but do not allow alcohol to run into the cicuit.

Use a soft brush to brush off all lint, eraser bits, etc. Do not blow with your mouth. Such activity is to be

between consenting adults, not people and computers who do not appreciate out chemical composition

Make sure the slot in the MB is as clean as possible. I have dug out hairs, paper bits, parts of dead bugs,

and other objects from these slots.

The card goes into the slot streight: from front to back, side to side, and centered.

Visualy ensure the card is sitting evenly; many MBs in cases cause the card to sit at an angle; the silly

PC bracket mayneed to be re-adjusted with the proper tools, but vracked fiberglass will not improve the

board.

While running, wigle the card about 8-10 degrees side to side. Should not make a difference.

If all this fails, visually inspect the contacts again.

If it still does not work, try the card in another setting.

If it does notwork yet, scream loudly. _AFTER_ you are done screaming, call the vendor for RMA.

Ive got the cold boot problem with my new system also (see sig), and i need some help to distinguish which of my parts are at fault.

What happens on mine is that when you turn the power on it the power leds show 3 lights and the power light flashes with a beeping every second.

Ive got the latest bios and flashed the bios correctly, is my psu at fault? or the motherboard?

please help!

I have the same board with P&C 850 PSU (I did not want to hear none of this "your PSU

is too small nonsene" _ I have stable systems on 420W and unstable ones on 850.).

From day one this board was not a smooth booter. I still have to be able to put 2 IDE

devices on the primary ATA channel.

I doubt it is the video card, especially if you verirfied it.

I also doubt most major composnents.

I have no idea why the board is flaky but if I had to guess I would look at the reset circuits.

BTW, there are some strange interactions on this board. The stability of the CPU voltage

is an inverse function of the clock speed; At 200MHz, I see visible spikes (small but visible) similar to the previous generation. These disappear at 300MHz.

Have you tried this board with other-than-opteron CPU?

Yes, they are supposed to work, but if everything was working like it is _supposed_

to, you will not be posting frustrations but victories :-)

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Well I've been reading through all the threads as I have the same / similar problem, and I think I'm the 1st ATI user as well...

I was playing Toca 3 last night for about 2-3 hours went to the kitchen for a few minutes came back PC was switched off. Could not get it to boot 1st time powered down, cleared CMOS, no boot, but system was running with the 3LED's lit up like a christmas tree. After many attempts of booting it would say check signal cable, occasionally it would allow me to get to BIOS, where I ensured everything was set back to default settings. Still no boot to windows!!

This carried on getting maybe 2 out of every 5 attempts to gain entry to BIOS, but from there no boot to Windows

I now think my OS has been corrupted as well, so a big re-install at the weekend :O( I've only had the rig for 5 days after finally making the leap to NF4.

Lanparty NF4 Ultra D

Athlon 64 3200 Venice (2.00ghz)

Sapphire X1800XT 256mg

2gb Corsair PC3200 (2x1gb)

2 x 40gb IDE drives

600watt 24 pin EZ Cool PSU

• 2 months later...

I also have these boot issues, all LEDs flash and I continually must power off the PSU and then try again until I'm back up..

Lately the following method has been working for me: push power and see all LEDs flash, turn off PSU and hit power button... wait 30sec , turn on PSU and watch LEDs flash again, turn off PSU... 30 sec, and it usually turns after that.

I've done all the BIOS updates, correctly clearing CMOS for insane periods of time. Theres a thread that says Seasonic's PSU is a problem and I was about to pull the trigger on an OCZ PSU since its on the "A" list PSUs... But then I find that people on this thread with OCZ PSUs are having the same problems...

I'm going to try the jumper fix posted on xtremesystems this weekend.. This problem is ridiculous and should have been addressed in previous BIOS...