NEW Setup problems

Hi all, I'm running the following setup:

DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D with BIOS 3/10

AMD 64 3500+ (water cooled)

Mushkin VII DDR400 (PC 3200) (2 x 512) "TCCD"

MSI nVidia 6600GT 128mb (water cooled)

ULTRA X-Connect 500W (24 pin, NO ADAPTOR)

Formatted a new EIDE HD and set everything up, everything seemed well until I installed and ran hl2 for the first time. After about 5-10 min the computer rebooted. The temps on the cpu and gpu were fine, so I figured it was RAM. I flashed the BIOS to the 3/10 release and ran mem test with the following results:

Both sticks = 20+ errors

1st stick = good

2nd stick = 6 errors

2nd stick again = good <--- (not sure why it worked the 2nd time)

Both sticks = 20+ errors

I've left everything stock and increased the voltage each time from 2.6v to 2.7v and finally stopped at 2.8v. Only thing I can think of is RAM, but has anybody else tried a similar set up with the same results? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

bumping once, then RMA'ing :)

Actually, I tested both sticks on a seperate mobo and passed mem test perfectly. I'm assuming its something to do with the board now.

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

The problem is most likely with your RAM timings, as I've said in a similar thread, leaving the vital settings (RAS, CAS, Voltage, etc) on auto will usually give you nothing but headaches.

Find the proper settings for your memory, and do it manually.

Angry- my signature updated now, sorry about that.

I'm yet to find specs for DDR400 (PC3200) but 2.5-3-3-8 failed :)

Also, there's a single yellow light thats on the right side of the bototm yellow (slot 3) that's on. There's another one on the bottom left near the diagnosis LEDS's but that's normal right?

The lights you describe are normal. I updated my settings zeero (see the "here" link in my signature). Try plugging them in exactly as shown and give it a test if you want to. Is your 3500+ a Winchester, Newcastle, Clawhammer, or Venice? If it's a Win, our core setup will be similiar. Even though CPU's and ram are never identicle, it should get you close to where you need to be.

You can download some monitoring tools that will help you, like CPU-z, A64Tweaker, and Everest Home Edition. CPU-z will show you what your ram is rated for (it should say 2-2-2-6). Look under the SPD tab and pick the module locations.

Tight timings are possible with the Mushkin near stock speeds (DDR400). Once you start cranking the clock up however, you need to loosen them up. 2.5-4-8-3-1T is not uncommon for speeds around DDR550 (with most TCCD ram). Something you just have to get used to....

m :)

The problem is most likely with your RAM timings, as I've said in a similar thread, leaving the vital settings (RAS, CAS, Voltage, etc) on auto will usually give you nothing but headaches.

Find the proper settings for your memory, and do it manually.

He stated that when he up the volts to 2.8V the errors stoped.I do agree with setting your timmings manually.