nF4 SLI-DR and OCZ PC-5000 DFI Special Edition

As I stated earlier, my experience with this RAM has been limited by my 3200 Winchester. I have two CPUs on the way as I type this.

A 3700 San Diego and a 3500 Clawhammer/Hammer. I couldn't decide which would work better so I got both. I got the 3500 since it is a known quantity in terms of over clocking. I got the 3700 San Diego since it is the newer 90nm fab but an unproven chip for high over clocks.

The OCZ statement of DDR-625 speed is not a guarantee. It is an "ability" statement. If the rest of your rig won't support a 313FSB why would you expect the RAM to run at 313FSB?

Tighter timings are not the end all-be all to speed. Tighter timings at a given FSB should give you better benchmarks but don't limit yourself or your rig.

A higher FSB with looser timings can give you better bandwidth than a lower FSB with tighter timings. When you remove the restriction of tight timings, you give the RAM a chance to "breath a little" and give you more bandwidth.

and tighter timings would be nice too. im sure red alert III and age of empires III would prefer higher speeds. besides what happened to the guaranteed ddr625?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OCZ statement of DDR-625 speed is not a guarantee. It is an "ability" statement. If the rest of your rig won't support a 313FSB why would you expect the RAM to run at 313FSB?

ExRoadie I understand what you are saying but the fact does remain that OCZ does in fact guarantee the OCZ EL DDR PC-5000 Platinum DFI nF4 Special memory to meet their stated specifications. Again I state I understand what you are saying but the OCZ representative on this forum has stated this memory is guaranteed to run at speeds of 312MHZ.

Like your post his is qualified His post reads in part:

The OCZ PC5000 is great and gives you "guaranteed" speeds of 312mhz. This is of course is dependent on your CPU being able to run that fast.

Reference: AndyOCZ on 4/22/05 http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...68&postcount=13

I would like to make clear what I’m saying here, there is a difference in both ExRoadie and AndyOCZ statements with the qualifier and a product meeting printed, stated specifications. OCZ is guaranteeing the OCZ EL DDR PC-5000 Platinum DFI nF4 Special to meet its stated specifications.

Those specification can be found in the below OCZ statements that this memory can run at DDR625 with timings of 3-4-4-10 at 2.85V.

OCZ Press release which can be found here http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2005/132 states in part that the DFI Special PC 5000

"At the extreme speed of 625MHz, the OCZ PC-5000 Platinum is still capable of achieving blistering timings of 3-4-4-10!"

From OCZ product page which can be found here

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...dfi_nf4_special

states in part:

……..Due to OCZ’s proprietary Enhanced Latency Technology, the PC-5000 Platinum DFI nF4 Special series is able to reach latencies as low as CL 3-4-4-10!

All OCZ DDR-625 products are 100% hand-tested to ensure compliance with stringent quality standards. ……

OCZ PC-5000 Platinum DFI nF4 series modules are the very best high speed DDR memory available on the market today and offer innovative features that increase performance while providing unsurpassed stability. OCZ Platinum Edition memory modules are rated to handle up to 3.0V without invalidating the OCZ Lifetime Warranty so that performance enthusiasts can tweak their systems without worry.

This memory is being marketed to the enthusiast community as can be seen in a a quote from their press release (link above)

“PC-5000 Platinum DFI nF4 Special series with performance enthusiasts in mind”.

To try and drive my point home if:

312 FSB with a 7X multiplier (2.496 GHz) running at 2.85V with timing of 3-4-4-10 with an AMD FX-55 (2.6GHz), OCZ will state this memory is running within specifications.

If I have got this wrong I would ask the OCZ representative on this forum, AndyOCZ, to correct me or any of OCZ stated specifications.

ExRoadie I understand what you are saying but the fact does remain that OCZ does in fact guarantee the OCZ EL DDR PC-5000 Platinum DFI nF4 Special[/font][/color][/b] memory to meet their stated specifications. Again I state I understand what you are saying but the OCZ representative on this forum has stated this memory is guaranteed to run at speeds of 312MHZ.

Hello,

Ex-Roadie he has been nice enough to test the PC5000 and post you his results. It is great to have someone that is trusted on these forums provide you with honest test data. The off the shelf samples I have, do rated speeds with some processors. Others, such as my Winchester 3200+ will go no faster than 288mhz, with any RAM and timings.

Our memory is guranteed to do quoted speeds and timings, provided that your system is capable. With my Winchester, the memory controller is the limitation. I had a week 37 Winnie that failed Prime 95 Blend Test at 200mhz with any timings, so AMD is not perfect, nor is every CPU just like the last.

We test all PC5000 kits on a DFI/CPU combos that easily exceed 315mhz. If anyone is in doubt a to their systems capabilties after purcahising this memory we can test it for you and provide you with data. If after our testing your kit will not do the rated speeds, we galdly RMA it with no hassles.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Thank you.

We test all PC5000 kits on a DFI/CPU combos that easily exceed 315mhz. If anyone is in doubt a to their systems capabilties after purcahising this memory we can test it for you and provide you with data. If after our testing your kit will not do the rated speeds, we galdly RMA it with no hassles.
AndyOCZ, that's just awesome! Hats off to you guys for meeting and exceeding the status quo for enthusiast support :)

What voltage are you putting thru that ram? Have you ran memtest?

Also, I would very much appreciate a screenshot of the bios showing the rest of the settings not shown in a64 tweaker

Thanks alot

-ReAPeR

Posting my settings won't do much good since every rig is different. I noticed you have a Venice so I'm absoulutely sure my settings will not work for you.

Send a PM to AndyOCZ for much better assistance than I can give. I had several people helping me along from RGone to Andy and Ryder!

What voltage are you putting thru that ram? Have you ran memtest?

Also, I would very much appreciate a screenshot of the bios showing the rest of the settings not shown in a64 tweaker

Thanks alot

-ReAPeR

The 3500 Clawhammer/HammerCPU and OCZ PC-5000 DFI Special Edition RAM are in Aileen as configured in my sig. I'm reconfiguring my computer room and didn't have space for the test rig. I loaded the 5/10-2 BIOS for this run.

The rig has completed prime95, OCCT and 3DMark01 running 312X8 @ 2.5-4-3-7.

So it is easier to see, I kept the image at full resolution on the server so you will have to click the link.

http://myweb.cableone.net/mondo/312x8primestable0517pm.JPG

RGone and I worked for several days using the 3/16 BIOS and my 3200 Winchester but really never got the rig stable. Using the RGone settings as a baseline and the additional help of Andy and Ryder from OCZ, we got over the hump and the rig is stable and solid as a rock.

Thanks to RGone, Andy and Ryder from OCZ for helping get the last few kinks worked out now that I have the Clawhammer/Hammer and the 5/10-2 BIOS. It was a real pleasure working with all of you guys.