nF4 SLI-DR and OCZ PC-5000 DFI Special Edition

hey, im going to be buying the sli-dr, already have the 3700+ sandiego, and was interested in buying these rams.

just outta interest, can i run them down to ddr400/ddr500 speeds ok for everyday use (and then oc them for times of benching and hardcore gaming???

because i was worried that if i run them 24/7 at ddr600 speeds, the ram might overheat and get damaged.

btw, i will be using the coolermaster stacker case (the huuuuge tower) which has 3 fans as standard (front and back 120mm and a top 90mm fan) and will be putting in a pair of 80mm fans at the back where the 2nd psu would go if i needed it.

thanks for any advice before i buy my ram. :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have very good airflow in my Antec P-160 case and have had no temp problems with the memory at 2.9V at 312FSB.

My 3200 winnie is holding me back from being stable even with a X7 multi so I've been running at 285X8 with 2.8V.

Under load like OCCT or prime95 my indicated memory temp maxes out at 106F. Idle is around 92 to 94 depending on room temp.

ok, so u know when u 1st got ur ram, could u put it straight into your pc, and boot into xp without any tweaking needed? because mine will be going into a brand new build..new everything! so i'll be installing xp etc frm scratch. also, this is my 1st pc build, so feeling a bit apprehensive, and was hoping to not worry about the tweaking for the ram and cpu and gpu until im sure everythings working, and can take the time to read some oc'ing tutorials, and can start benching my results :)

I started at 200X10 @2-2-2-5 for a few days mostly because I was busy on another project but also to give me time to run memtest, prime95 and other stress tests.

Since I got the first sticks we know of, I worked with RGone on the phone through some numbers and got it running real fast in about an hour. That's when we discovered my 3200 winnie 90nm was letting me down.

I can run the numbers you see in the thread but I still consider my rig unstable at those speeds.

As soon as Thunda sends me his FX55 for testing, I'll have a better idea of the actual performance.

This memory is new stuff out on the bleeding edge at these speeds.

when u ran the "ddr625" sticks at 2-2-2-5 how stable and efficient was it?an they handle such tight timings and still pretty fast? was that running @ ddr400at 2-2-2-5?

in another forum,i was warned off this ram &advised to get gskill la series instead since they run at 2-2-2-5 while the nf4 ocz sticks dont aparently. course what u said disagrees with that.

Update!

------

The benchmarks at 2-2-2-5 were so much slower than higher FSB with more liberal timings that I found it just wasn't worth the effort.

------

I'll have to run another series of benchmarks at 200X10 @ 2-2-2-5 and get some screen caps. I was just messin' around waiting for some time to get the real testing done.

If I remember correctly the 2-2-2-5 timings puked at 212 or there abouts. It was ugly and I had to clear CMOS and reset BIOS defaults to recover. I never ran any stability tests above 200X10 when I was playing so it is quite possible that the board will boot to the OS then die as soon as you load an application. Just not enough information yet.

It may be a couple of days before I get back to the 200X10 level.

I'm still working on max OC and stability. Wanna get that done first.

ok, thanks for all the nice info. what do u think the tightest timings u can run stable? what speed would that be at?

thanks..good luck with reaching for the new heights of oc'ing, and with the down-clocking when u get time.

say im about to pick between the gskill LA series ram(pc3200 at 2-2-2-5, and this nf4 ocz ram, which do u recommend? both are pretty much the same price (£3 difference), im running a 3700+ san diego and the sli-dr board. thanks.

from one of the sites selling the gskill la series:

"CL 2-2-2-5 Rating @ PC3200 (CL 3-4-4-8 @ PC4800), 2.65-2.85V"

what do u think the tightest timings u can run stable? what speed would that be at?

I'm not gonna speculate on any numbers. I'd rather have hard data and screen caps to backup anything I post. Hope you understand my reluctance to "pull numbers out of the air"?

I think you should search the forum some looking for users that have the memory you are interested in. See what they think about it since they actually have it running in their machine.

The combination of mobo, CPU and memory have an impact on performance. Two identical rigs may not performe exactly alike.

ok, well my mobo is the sli-dr, the cpu is the 3700+ sandy, the only thing im not sure on now is the gskill..or the ocz pc5000. only problem is that no1 has reviewd the pc5000 nf4 pcz ram yet since its very new, so if i buy it, i guess i'd be a "pioneer", but i dont see how i can go wrong since its MADE for my board! and ok, 3700+ sandy isnt the best, but its pretty decent from what ive seen in early reports and oc'ing benchmarks.

I'm not gonna speculate on any numbers. I'd rather have hard data and screen caps to backup anything I post. Hope you understand my reluctance to "pull numbers out of the air"?

I think you should search the forum some looking for users that have the memory you are interested in. See what they think about it since they actually have it running in their machine.

The combination of mobo, CPU and memory have an impact on performance. Two identical rigs may not performe exactly alike.

What was the best 24/7 you got with that memory gaming and all??

I have had my eye on it!!

285 is kind of disapionting.

What was the best 24/7 you got with that memory gaming and all??

I have had my eye on it!!

285 is kind of disapionting.

and tighter timings would be nice too. im sure red alert III and age of empires III would prefer higher speeds. besides what happened to the guaranteed ddr625?