Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

Guest GripS

I just successfully modded my board to SLI and installed the evercool vc-re at the same time. I must say that scraping the epoxy off was making me sweat a bit. But low and behold i boot and it says nforce 4 SLI and i am stoked!!! I also installed a thermalright xp 90 and i'm dual priming right now and getting load temps of 38C. Thankyou Ex-roadie for an excellent mod tutorial and Happy_games for an excellent video tutorial on installing the evercool. My board is now complete.:)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Im trying to do this SLI mod, but the when i take the black aproxy off, i get only 1 little silver dot and not 2 to link them up.

Doe's this mean i cant do the mod.. here's a picture. not that great sorry ..

http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=piczc5.jpg

Based upon what I see you may need to move more towards the outside edge to reveal the other contact point. It seems you're just a bit towards the inside at this point.

Use the contact points just below for a reference.

Guest markuk

hmmm not to sure, looks like just copper looking :( and im scraping the green stuff off ?

I just realised its all cooper looking, and there now silver contacts that i can see. so hmm

When I was done with the #2 pencil mod I went back and competed the circuit with the CircuitWriter applicator from Radio Shack. It's $13.00 USD and works great.

Can i use only a pencel #2 mod and put the cooler back on (i'm replacing it with a evercool this weekend), or must i use stuff like circuitwriter?

I don't know if that stuff is available in holland.

Is there maybe other stuff which i could use instead?

hmmm not to sure, looks like just copper looking :( and im scraping the green stuff off ?

I just realised its all cooper looking, and there now silver contacts that i can see. so hmm

Wow. I really wish you had a better camera.

Look back at the original pics for reference.

Guest markuk

Yeah sorry bout that...

Had a look back and theres no silver points on my board... just copper base :(

I'm not particularly sure what post-processing your doing. But the pictures were taken with a KD-310Z. A quick search suggests this is a 3.2mp camera altho I guess not a very good one. But the file is only 650x400. If so, I suggest you take at max size and quality and try and upload the originally image, don't recompress. It may help. I believe imgshack has a limit so you may need a different hosting provider. Also, try take the photo from further away. Probably your camera is not too good at macro mode. 800x600 pixels of a high quality image of the chip is better then 2048 x 1536 pixels of a low quality image of the chip.

If you do take from further away, you could crop your image but it would be best if you do so without recompressing (in theory your camera's digital zoom should be able to achieve the same effect but it depends on the camera and whether you know how to use it). However it would be better to crop and recompress if you are going to use imgshack or another provider which won't accept large images. You might also want to try a tripod or positioning the camera on a surface as it looks like the camera was not stable.

N.B. You don't really need to be so strict in normal cases for an uploaded image but given that you are having problems, it would be best if you just get the best possible image you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I recently bought another msi 6600gt knowing my mobo had 2 pci express 16x slots. Who knew id have to do this trick.

Anyway I took off the chipset heat sink and tried the pencil thing.. reassembled, reset bios, and tried to boot with just the 1 video card. On boot i get 3 red lights on the lower left of the motherboard and a flashing power led.

I erased the pencil and got the same reslut. Now im afraid my chipset is fried or something. I read threw the first 7 pages but maybe someone can help me out while i read the rest.

Thanks a lot.

UPDATE: I tried it again, with a darker line, and now it will boot, and detect my hard drives etc, but it says disk boot failure, insert boot disk. Any ideas?

UPDATE: I tried it again, with a darker line, and now it will boot, and detect my hard drives etc, but it says disk boot failure, insert boot disk. Any ideas?

Go back into the BIOS and change your boot order to the proper configuration.

When you clear the CMOS it wipes out your previous boot order.