Sign in to follow this  
red930

Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

Guest markuk

i just looked at my chip and the bit is black and flatend out ?

Does this mean i can do the mod :( heres a pic.. sorry bit small but had to use phone cam ..

i just looked at my chip and the bit is black and flatend out ?

Does this mean i can do the mod :( heres a pic.. sorry bit small but had to use phone cam ..

Your pic sucks, does it look like this?

epoxy.jpg

Yes, you can still do the mod, I just did mine, that's a pic of how mine looked, and this is a pic of my boot screen:

size.jpg

Notice the NF4 SLI? Oh yeah, gotta love it! :D

Once again, a very big thank you, and major props, to Ex-Roadie, thanks dude, now I have an SLI board. :cool:

BTW, I bought my board Mar 7th/06, so obviously, new boards are still "modable". :nod:

Once again, a very big thank you, and major props, to Ex-Roadie, thanks dude, now I have an SLI board. :cool:

BTW, I bought my board Mar 7th/06, so obviously, new boards are still "modable". :nod:

Unless and until nVidia changes the way the chipsets are produced, you will be able to perform the mod.

As stated earlier in this thread, the addition of the epoxy over the contacts was simply a move to make it harder to perform the mod.

wow read threw 40 pages of this :P

im planing on buying this board and a eVGA 7900GT in mid may and i have 2 questions about this mod thou

1 i keep reading that unless you damage the fan or chipset the mod is undectable if you had to RMA it

wouldnt they notice that it says "NF4 SLI" on the bios?

2 this is more of general question of the board, earlyer in this post there was a reply that says you have to have the 24 pin, 4 pin and a molex and floppy drive power connections? is the 2 other connections only for SLi or is it for genral use too?

thanks for having this thread thou :)

wouldnt they notice that it says "NF4 SLI" on the bios?

Not unless you bring their attention to it.

Always use all four power connections. Period.

Sorry to ask this question again, but I just bought an Ultra D from New Egg and it arrived today. I popped off the cooling fan and cleaned the chip. The chip looks similar, but it does have different numbers. The number on mine is O53585.1. It is made in Taiwan but instead of a sticker, it now has NF-4-Ultra A3 Scribed into the Tim( hope I am using the right word) itself.

Ok in your picture, there are 6 pin or contacts in the upper right hand corner. Yours have nothing on them, but mine appear to have the same expoxy over the 4 pins closest in from the right edge of the chip. The other two pins or contacts you cleaned are there with the epoxy you mention in your guide. Is there any reason that you know of why those other 4 pins might be covered in Epoxy? Can this chip still be modded? Also do I need a number 2 farber pencil for the best result or is a Number 4 ok? Is this a regular pencil you are using or a graphite?

Also any suggestions on where to either get or buy the SLI bridge? Will any bridge work or does it have to be a DFI brand?

Thanks

Jason

Take a look at post 591.

Remove the epoxy as discussed earlier in this thread and the mod will work just fine.

Sorry to ask this question again, but I just bought an Ultra D from New Egg and it arrived today. I popped off the cooling fan and cleaned the chip. The chip looks similar, but it does have different numbers. The number on mine is O53585.1. It is made in Taiwan but instead of a sticker, it now has NF-4-Ultra A3 Scribed into the Tim( hope I am using the right word) itself.

Ok in your picture, there are 6 pin or contacts in the upper right hand corner. Yours have nothing on them, but mine appear to have the same expoxy over the 4 pins closest in from the right edge of the chip. The other two pins or contacts you cleaned are there with the epoxy you mention in your guide. Is there any reason that you know of why those other 4 pins might be covered in Epoxy? Can this chip still be modded? Also do I need a number 2 farber pencil for the best result or is a Number 4 ok? Is this a regular pencil you are using or a graphite?

Also any suggestions on where to either get or buy the SLI bridge? Will any bridge work or does it have to be a DFI brand?

Thanks

Jason

Help Please! Mod not working for me!

I followed all the directions to do the mod. For the Ultra D

1. I removed the chipset fan

2. I cleaned off the heat transfer material

3. I scraped the expoxy off the two pins or connectors indicated.

4. I used a #4 Farber Graphite pencil to connect the pins

5. I booted with a big fan blowing on the chipset and went into the bios and turned off the logo

6. I shut down and changed the jumper positions to SLI in both banks

System is Enermax 530 w psu

Ultra D board new from new egg

XFX SLI ready 6800 Xtreem 256mb

1 stick of memory in The yellow slot closest to the edge of the motherboard. Memory is OCZ DDR 600

Processor is Opty 165

Monitor Sony 23 LCD connected DVI

My questions are:

1. Is my board booting so fast I cannot see the SLI information that is flashed? If so how can I slow it down.

2. Did I miss something in the mod?

3. I am only using one card right now but shouldn't the machine see SLI?

4. Did I not scrape down enough?

Any help would be appreciated. I want to make sure the mod is working before I use a radio shack circuit writer pen to make the connection permanent.

Thanks

Jason

Help Please! Mod not working for me!

I followed all the directions to do the mod. For the Ultra D

1. I removed the chipset fan

2. I cleaned off the heat transfer material

3. I scraped the expoxy off the two pins or connectors indicated.

4. I used a #4 Farber Graphite pencil to connect the pins

5. I booted with a big fan blowing on the chipset and went into the bios and turned off the logo

6. I shut down and changed the jumper positions to SLI in both banks

System is Enermax 530 w psu

Ultra D board new from new egg

XFX SLI ready 6800 Xtreem 256mb

1 stick of memory in The yellow slot closest to the edge of the motherboard. Memory is OCZ DDR 600

Processor is Opty 165

Monitor Sony 23 LCD connected DVI

My questions are:

1. Is my board booting so fast I cannot see the SLI information that is flashed? If so how can I slow it down.

2. Did I miss something in the mod?

3. I am only using one card right now but shouldn't the machine see SLI?

4. Did I not scrape down enough?

Any help would be appreciated. I want to make sure the mod is working before I use a radio shack circuit writer pen to make the connection permanent.

Thanks

Jason

Why did you swap the SLI jumpers? You only have one card.

Are you sure that the pencil has actually connected the two contacts? I used a multi-meter to make sure there was a connection before I put it all back together. I'll be using circuit writer later, but you have to be sure you have all the epoxy off the contacts, and testing afterwards, with a multi-meter, is a sure fire way to be sure.

Big thanks to Exroadie and others who have helped. I sure thought I had scraped down far enough, because I thought I was seeing metal specks. I went back and scraped again and failed. I went back and scraped a third time and was successful. Now I am going to cover it with the circuit maker pen. Should I clean off the graphite, or should I just go over the graphite with a circuit breaker pen.

Thanks

Jason

Well, reading through these posts I have learned a lot about the board I got for my computer system... wasn't planning on running SLI but now that I know I can if I really want to, I just may do so. Great community from everything I have seen so far. Expect to see me back!