Sign in to follow this  
red930

Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

Guest bail_w

After i scrape off the epoxy on my DFI Ultra Rev ADO, i found out thoses nothing underneath it. WTf?

edit: nvm, after scrape more i see something now.

edit: Failed

Here is a link to a tutorial by Angry_Games showing how to remove the chipset cooler:

http://www.angrygames.com/chipset_clean-1.htm

On page #5, at the very bottom of the page, is an excellent picture to help you locate the correct pins to mod.

The board that he is using is a SLI board, but it is my understanding that there is no difference.

Hope this helps!

Heya guys, just signed up cause I've crossed over to "The Darkside" after being an Intel guy forever.

I was directed to this thread by a poster in the ncix.com forums, I bought the Ultra-D, and he told me I could score instructions for modding it to SLI here. Very sweet, BTW. :D

Anyhow, seems everyone has been searching for the SLI bridge. It just so happens that ncix.com carries the same bridge mentioned in the links, available at Japanese hardware stores, they just re-branded it. SLI Adapter.

As far as I know, ncix ships globally, so have at her. :D

BTW, hopefully my sig is okay, I won't be asking for any help with my old/current POS system, as soon as the rest of my parts get here, I'll edit my sig with full details. I hope that's okay, not trying to be a dick here, the system is obsolete, I have to insert keycards in the front to boot up. :eek:

As has been discussed previously, you have to connect the two connectors with enough graphite that the current can flow through them. Make sure you remove any epoxy etc first. Using a multimeter or a ohmmeter should help but alternatively just keep trying until it works then maybe add a bit more just in case... If you needed further info, I suggest you look back since this has been discussed many many times.

I believe that SLI bridge would work but I can't work out whether it crosses one slot or two. The only thing you have to look out for AFAIK is that it is designed to cross one slot. The DFI mobo has one slot in between the two PCI-ex 16 used for the video card. Some other mobos have two. Most bridges have a hard circuit board in between the two connector ends so you have to make sure it is only designed to cross one slot not two. I believe there is one variant that has flexible ribbon cable instead which I guess works with one or two slots.

Cheers

Question regarding this mod....

Seems to be working, but only with the VGA card in the second PCI slot (I haven't purchased my SLI vid cards yet, and as of now am still running a single ATI card). My computer won't boot up or post if the card is in the first slot, the mobo has three lit LED's, with a flashing fourth LED. Is this normal? Just want to be sure everything will work when I get my two SLI video cards. Many thanks...

Resolved....just when i thought i hadn't shown my noobness in a while, I had already changed the jumpers, thus causing my first card slot not to work. I'm assuming this is normal....

if the jumpers are in 'SLI' mode, i.e. both PCI-ex 16x slots are running in PCI-ex 8x mode your card should work in EITHER slot. I had a problem for some reason first time I tried it and even tho I set the jumpers properly I couldn't get my card to work in the second slot at 8x (worked fine when running at 2x) but it works fine now. Not sure why, perhaps I made a mistake or a bios problem

Hey everyone, just to let you know me and my dad did the mod last weekend. we were installing the big typhoon on my cpu! (i do hafta update my specs eventually) its so heavy im using a 120mm fan and a dead AA battery between them to support the weight - so much leverage! anyway we took off the chipset fan and saw the chipset - the contacts look heaps bigger in the photots ;). anyway my dad (he an old skool [non-computer] techie) had some funny coarseish rubbing thing - it took the epoxy off easy. anyway we didnt know if we had taken enough off - but we drew the circuit anyway and hoped for the bes (whats the worst that could happen :( ). boot up and NVidia SLI appears -- goodness. cheers.

btw is 22degC a good idle temp 4 cpu???? at load it runs around between 28-34 - norm 30ish

So I can just use acetone and a qtip to remove the epoxy?

I wouldn't recommend anything like solvents around the chipset. It's just too easy to mess it up. Friction seems to be the best way to remove the epoxy.