Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did this mod and it works beautifully. It honestly took more time to remove my motherboard from my case than it did to do this mod. I just rubed the epoxy off of the contact points with acetone and a q-tip and then taped off my work area and used a conductive pen. Cleared the CMOS and it booted right up as an SLI motherboard. So beautiful. So easy.

Thanks a million guys!

In addition to what i stated above, id like to say that the Mod had nothing at all to do with My computer powering down, it turned out to be nothing more than a PSU issue that i resolved by removeing the Psu opening it up cleaning it out and screwing it back in, It at first seemed to just be a problem with 3d graphics so it scared me that id just done the mod when it started but it happend for like the 3rd time and i opened the case up and pushed on the bottem of the psu and the Lights on the board were going on and off so no worries still works, mod worked great with my old 6600gt's, but i just ordered my second 7800gt and 2x 1GB of OCZ gold

sorry for the off topicness of my post another question

does anyone think that my powersupply will handle 7800gt sli? its a aspire 525W heres a link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817148009

i think it can handle it its rated 35A on the +12 line

i tryed the mod last night...i should have read more about it. I didn't realize there would be so much epoxy. Anyways, under magnifying lense i scraped away until i found to be the two connectors, and i did the pencil mod. However, i used a mechanical pencil with a sharp point and i believe that is the reason why the mod didnt work.

i cleared cmos, loaded default settings in bios, disabled logo - but still showing up as Ultra. I even did cleared the cmos overnight, but still nothing.

Anyways, when i was doing the mod, again this was about ten hours ago, i took off the stock thermal pad on the chipset heatsink and replaced with AS5. So my question is when i do the mod later today do i need to reapply fresh AS5? This time i am going to use Acetone to totally clean off the epoxy and use the Radio Shack circuit pen to make the connections, but i'd rather not do the whole arctic silver thing again if i dont have to.

thanks for the help.

noobs.

So, following up on the post above. I reapplyed the AS5 and did the mod with the circuit pen after using acetone to clean off the epoxy. I was certain i saw the two small contacts with my magnifying glass, i taped off the surrounding surface and put a small dab on the area. Cleared the cmos, went into bios restored optimum settings, save and exit, back into bios, disable logo, save and exit......no sli at bootup.

what did i do wrong...i got my second 6800gt on the way and sli bridge...

noobs.

So, following up on the post above. I reapplyed the AS5 and did the mod with the circuit pen after using acetone to clean off the epoxy. I was certain i saw the two small contacts with my magnifying glass, i taped off the surrounding surface and put a small dab on the area. Cleared the cmos, went into bios restored optimum settings, save and exit, back into bios, disable logo, save and exit......no sli at bootup.

what did i do wrong...i got my second 6800gt on the way and sli bridge...

noobs.

Either you're connecting the wrong contacts, not making the connection correctly, or your board is borked. Most likely the 1st or 2nd.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions to my perdicament, excluding either i'm stupid or my board is broken? Please help!

I really dont want to try the mod again because now i have that circuit pen stuff on it which i dont know how to remove, i dont think acetone will do the trick on that one. Plus i'm worried about using the exato knife to scrape more epoxy off....

i already bought the Tyan5000 sli-bridge, plus the circuit pen, and my second 6800gt will be here by the end of the week.

what should i do? sell the board and bridge on e-bay (it works fine, just no sli), and buy the official version? That's pretty lame for all the work and money i've put into this....i dont know it sucks being noobs....

Does anyone know approximately how early of a board is needed for this mod to be applicable?

I'm too lazy to check it :P

if it helps, my board was purchased last august

The mod can be performed on every board including the current shipping units.

Don't know what to tell you other than you still haven't connected the right points on the chipset yet.

As soon as those points are connected it will be an SLI board.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions to my perdicament, excluding either i'm stupid or my board is broken? Please help!

I really dont want to try the mod again because now i have that circuit pen stuff on it which i dont know how to remove, i dont think acetone will do the trick on that one. Plus i'm worried about using the exato knife to scrape more epoxy off....

i already bought the Tyan5000 sli-bridge, plus the circuit pen, and my second 6800gt will be here by the end of the week.

what should i do? sell the board and bridge on e-bay (it works fine, just no sli), and buy the official version? That's pretty lame for all the work and money i've put into this....i dont know it sucks being noobs....