Sign in to follow this  
red930

Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

More likely, a pencil mod will simply deteriorate over time. As the graphite oxidizes it looses its ability to conduct electricity and actually becomes an insulator.

I had a pencil modded PII that failed after three years.

I would say soldering is unnecessary if you have a circuit pen. While the connection is undoutedly better, it doesn't have to be superb, just good enough to last. It's just a binary switch after all, not a signal carrying connection where you want the signal to be as clean as possible. A pencil mod may rub off so it may not necessary last and there is also the risk (probably quite small) of the pencil lead rubbing off causing shorts.

More likely, a pencil mod will simply deteriorate over time. As the graphite oxidizes it looses its ability to conduct electricity and actually becomes an insulator.

AHHHH, binary, if that becomes a loose conection you will end up in cashes left right and center and it WILL damege the IC's. Solder on link wire or face a naff chip 2 years down the line.

Those chips get very very hot, hence the heat sink and fan. The tape and pencle led would ether ech into the IC or go mank or shrink or expand.

Now here is my step by step gued onto soldering a link wire onto this. (listen up n00bs)

List.

1. Get a soldering iron.

2. get a P7 Spade tip.

3. Get Some solder (601).

4. get solder Sucker (if you make a hess and a half.)

5. Get a solder Stand WITH SPUNG.

6. Get anti static rist strap with wire.

7. Get an anti static mat or something which is a null of electrical discarge.

8. get some twezers.

9. Get come wire cutters.

10. Get goggles.

Prepare.

Conect ur anti static strap on, conect to ground scorce, put anti static mat down or news paper etc...

Put goggles on, conect soldering iron and tern on. Put in stand. Get spunge and get it wet and then sqweeze it will i cant get much water out. Then place back onto the solering iron stand.

To solder the perfect solder joint it should take 3 to 4 seconds max.

1 iron on pad,

2 insert solder.

3 take away solder and iron.

Please try this on some old PCB's befor you try for real. But if your confident go ahead with next step.

Now you might want a friend with a stedy hand to do this but with most solders this is a peace of cake and can do this with bouth hands.

1. scrached off the varnich on the 2 pads of were you are going to solder onto with the tweezers or **scaple** (should be silver under neath apx).

2. get iron and a solder and dab a bit of solder on to the tip of the iron.

3 get the link wire and cut to legth.

4 place link wire on pads to that each end is on pad by half way min. (dont over haing it much ether) Basicly so its baing in the middle etc..

5. do this with twezers, (get friend to help hold it in place) (with advanced solders you can hold this in your left/right hand with the iron and solder in the left/right hand) Hold the link wire in place and then iron down on pad, then solder then off.

6.do the same for the other side, you should have it in place now so that ur friend can go off and play.

DONE.

correct [--]------[--]

ok [ -]------[- ]

Wrong [ ]------[--]--

AHHHH,

EDIT

I had to delete most of this post since several of us had no idea what it was about except the solder part.

Since there are several other options than to solder on a very expensive chipset I went ahead and deleted it as I am dumb and do not know how to solder onto PCB's which are over 2K. Beleve me, the pencil way is a good way to make a good chip worthless once fried.

Yes what tape?

Also, it's the first I've heard of pencil lead etching into the IC when heated. Care to elaborate?

BTW, anyone know how hot the affected area actually gets? I know the core can get quite hot but I wonder how hot the affected area actually gets. I suspect it won't be more then 50C, if that...

yep just got myself an ultra-d.

i wanted to do the mod,

but somehow i was given a board with thin layer of epoxy/like a layer of black paint (maybe an old shipment)

i just scratched off the epoxy, but i saw some copperlike coloration.

did i mess up with my board or is the modding process similar to what others are experiencing, please assist me.

yep just got myself an ultra-d.

i wanted to do the mod,

but somehow i was given a board with thin layer of epoxy/like a layer of black paint (maybe an old shipment)

i just scratched off the epoxy, but i saw some copperlike coloration.

did i mess up with my board or is the modding process similar to what others are experiencing, please assist me.

you did the right thing and a little metal flaking is fine...just make the connection now with the circuit pen or pencil or what not and ur good to go

Don't the latest nVidia drivers allow SLI without a bridge? If that's the case, after you perform the mod to the northbridge, you shouldn't even need the SLI bridge, right?

Don't the latest nVidia drivers allow SLI without a bridge? If that's the case, after you perform the mod to the northbridge, you shouldn't even need the SLI bridge, right?

only certain cards...(6600 and lower) can use sli without bridge..all cards higher than the 6600GT are too powerful and need the bridge to communicate

and your not modding a northbridge ur modding the nf4 chip thats on ur mobo

Once you mod the chipset, you have an SLI board. The most current drivers allow for SLI operation without the SLI Bridge hardware but you will suffer a performance penalty since the data that would normally be passed through the bridge will now be added to the PCIe bus.

Just did the SLI mod to my ultra-d it shows SLI on the Post screen, and in my Nvidia driver it has the multi GPU tab so ill assume its going to work, still have a SLI connector from my old Gigabyte board, havent tested yet, im only running one 7800gt at the moment, but i still have my 2 6600gt's kickin around, Newegg has EVGA 7800gt's on sale for 270 + a 20 MIR second 7800gt for 250?!? swweeetttness :shake:

tho i did have one thing happen to me lastnight that hasnt ever happened before id done the mod, i dont know if its dirrectly related or not, but i was using the latest version of ATItool to OC my 7800gt (yes i said ATItool its nolonger just for ati cards)

and My entire computer went off, it was almost like the PSU cut out, i tryed pressing the power button... nothing, so i unpluged the power from the PSU fliped the switch a couple times pressed the power button, pluged it back in fliped it again pressed it it started right back up no problem

:) Much love to who ever figured out how to do this mod