Sign in to follow this  
red930

Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

I just completed the SLI Modthis weekend to my DFI board. I took a bit more of a risky route and actually soldered the two connectors together. Just a quick reset of the existing BIOS and reinstallation of the drivers and I had an SLI board. Two overclocked MSI 6800s and I have a 3DMark05 score of just over 8600 - not bad for a total of $280 =0)

That's the spirit.

Hey guys, I am new to the forums, but have been lurking here reading and reading and reading while waiting for my new parts to come in. The motherboard got here so I decided to try this mod. The pictures here were decieving because the chip itself and the metal contacts were so stinking tiny I had to use a magnifying glass. I was pretty nervous and my wife was too because she could see that I was doing something naughty though she didn't know quite what.

Using a razor blade I scraped through the epoxy until I struck metal. I actually scraped maybe a little too far and cut off some of the metal contact! In the end, however, with the help of the Circuitwriter, I made the connection, reset my BIOS, booted up and BAM! nVidia nForce4 SLI! Thank you for the great guide.

P.S. - I used the opportunity to put some AS5 on the chipset and reseated the fan. The chipset temps dropped from 50C load to 46C load!

ok i made the pencil scratch to temporarily see if the chipset would boot up SLI and it did not it booted up checked the screen and it said Ultra....but i think im missing something cuz all i did was clean the chip with alcohol and made the pencil connection and then cleared cmos and booted up...can someone fill me in on what im missing

ahhh i think i found my own mistake by reading just now...i did not scrape away the epoxy covering the metal ... but also do i need to change jumpers besides the ones to clear cmos if so which ones thanks

sorry bout the tripple post but this morning put the circuit writer on and booted up SLI no problem great mod thanks so much...just waitin on my bridge to hook up the dual 6600LE's

i don't know if some one mentioned this, but i want to make it SUPER CLEAR that dfi is very aware that people are doing this mod and they are now putting what seems like epoxy(or some other plastic kinda stuff) on the 2 curcuits you are supposed to connect. You WILL have to scrath this off and you will probbly cut off some of the metal but its okay to do this,BUT dfi is Nnow CHEAKCINg the chipset to see if its been tappered with in any way but the changing of the thermal compound..in other words, there checking if you tried the mod and if you did you just lost 130$ if you messed up your board. just wanted to warn all the internets =] -trey

What are you talking about and where do you think you got this information?

DFI does not remove the chipset HSF to check the chipset unless there is an overriding reason such as obvious damage.

DFI does not modify the chipset in any way.

nVidia started adding the extra epoxy to the chipset contact points a very long time ago.

Yes we were aware of it and cover it in our instructions.

BTW Your post almost blew up my spell checker. LOL

i don't know if some one mentioned this, but i want to make it SUPER CLEAR that dfi is very aware that people are doing this mod and they are now putting what seems like epoxy(or some other plastic kinda stuff) on the 2 curcuits you are supposed to connect. You WILL have to scrath this off and you will probbly cut off some of the metal but its okay to do this,BUT dfi is Nnow CHEAKCINg the chipset to see if its been tappered with in any way but the changing of the thermal compound..in other words, there checking if you tried the mod and if you did you just lost 130$ if you messed up your board. just wanted to warn all the internets =] -trey

Yeah my board had the epoxy on it too, I think I said actually...anyway just to let people know I havent got around to using any circuit writer yet as I dont have any, but the 2B pencil is still holding in there and I get "SLI" every time on POST!!!

The nF4, nF4 Ultra and nF4 SLI chipsets are identical excepting the features that are turned on. They all come off the same fab line at the same time with the only difference being the features turned on and the label that gets applied.

There is absolutely no difference in the chips at all. The value comes at being able to buy the same chip then turn on the features by connecting the contact points.

What about the borad nf4 & nf4-d?

I bought nf4-d & it's not good. it can't be overclocked like ultra-d.

for example the VID Voltage stepping is 0.1V on nf4-d not 0.0105V.

I'm feeling crazy ....:mad:

What about the borad nf4 & nf4-d?

I bought nf4-d & it's not good. it can't be overclocked like ultra-d.

for example the VID Voltage stepping is 0.1V on nf4-d not 0.0105V.

I'm feeling crazy ....:mad:

The boards are identical.

You have a different BIOS loaded since those settings are a function of the BIOS.

No two boards will perform the same. That's just the nature of the beast.