Sign in to follow this  
red930

Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

If you do not plan on using it, do not do it. It COULD screw your board up, but then again it might work. I did it because I was bored. It took me about an hour of trying before it booted and said SLi.

i am modding my chipset heatsink

im replacing the heatsink with a swiftech cpu heatsink

so ill need to make my own holes in the heatsink to attach it to the mobo

this is gonna be a pretty delicate job

thats why i rather would prefer doin ALL the modding now, and NEVER having to take the heatsink off (with all included risques)

so if it aint to hard, and has no downsides, then i rather do it now, then later when i really need it

i am modding my chipset heatsink

im replacing the heatsink with a swiftech cpu heatsink

so ill need to make my own holes in the heatsink to attach it to the mobo

this is gonna be a pretty delicate job

thats why i rather would prefer doin ALL the modding now, and NEVER having to take the heatsink off (with all included risques)

so if it aint to hard, and has no downsides, then i rather do it now, then later when i really need it

That makes sense.. GL.

Guest drteming

Got the second 6600GT and tested both slots with jumpers in 2-3 position. Installed both cards, changed the bios setting and booted into windows. Slight hiccup and had to reinstall 78.01 afterwhich windows detected the SLI configuration. Ran AM3 and 3DMark05, loved the scores! +12 v rail did drop per MBM5 from 12.27 to 12.21, ha ha ha. BTW, the Gigabyte cards came with SLI bridges. Lets see if my underspec ps holds up when I load up my overclock settings...

Hello everyone, this would be my first post here. I received my Ultra-D yesterday and got it installed today.

I wouldnt recommend doing this before you even fire up the board for the first time, but I had to see of that little trick worked. I noticed that compared to the photos of the NB mine was a little differant, but the SLI bridge was in the same location. I am not sure what revision this board is, if someone can tell me where to look I would happily post it. I carefully scrapped off the little blob of epoxy, I knew I was there when the contact points became shiny when scraping across them lightly. Filled in the gap with a mechanical pencil.

After overcoming the "bios checksum failed" problem by upping my vdimm a little, the board POSTed stable and sure enough, it says nForce4 SLI on startup :)

I wont be doing SLI anytime soon most likley, I just have a thing for seeing these little mods in action. Certainly isnt for the faint of heart however, I was worried about scrapping too deep into the NB and hosing a trace.

Hey ExRoadie, thanks for the guide. Decided to change the noisy nb heatsink with evercool VGA cooler. Since the Nvidia core is exposed, I might as well go mod it to SLI. That eproxy was a b*tch but got it modded to SLI now. :cool:

I wonder if you could buff the epoxy off with a dremel and wheel to get down to the contacts? Wonder if the dust would be big problem? I should get mine tomorrow I got lots of stuff at work we use for removing epoxy and varnishes of aircraft componants, I might consider trying it... lemme know if this is a bad idea

Solvents aren't a good idea around the chipset. I would hate to loosen something that shouldn't be.

Heat is a problem with something like a dremel. It's best to go slow.