Sign in to follow this  
red930

Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

I've found the Faber #2 to be the best when doing a pencil mod. It seems to have a higher content of conductive material than any other pencil.

good work and very easy mod, but which pencil do you use? :)) any picture of pencil ?

they make great artist supplies too, FABER-CASTELL products usually cost a bit more but are great writing and drawing utensils, it doesnt surprise me thier #2 seems to be the ticket

I was under the impression that newer ultra-d boards couldn't use this mod? :confused:

Regardless of what you have read before, nVidia shipped tens of thousands of Ultra chipsets that are easily modded to SLI. These chips are in the manufacturing chain and have been used since day one of motherboard production. If the numbers hold up, it will be months before the Ultra chipsets are all used up. There is inventory in the tens of thousands that haven't been installed on motherboards just waiting to be modded.

This means that if you have purchased or plan to purchase a DFI Ultra-D motherboard, you can be assured that it can be modded to fully functional SLI status.

Now I can already hear you thinking that you would love to do it but nVidia will change the drivers to block SLI on an Ultra chipset.

That can not happen. By performing the mod on the chipset you are turning the Ultra into an SLI. This is a physical change that no driver in the world can detect. Once you close the contacts on the Ultra chipset it is now an SLI chipset.

There are absolutely no driver issues involved since the chipset will now be as much an SLI as a "factory" SLI chipset.

That still applies..

o k thanks.. I guess I missed that post

Thats from the first post in this thread... :rolleyes:

Please try to read through the threads .. mucho information around here with a little reading.. :)

Hey I just did this mod. Had a little trouble getting it to work. I took it apart and rubbed pencil on there real good again and put a dab of clear nail polish on there after I made sure it worked. The nail polish will ensure that it dont come off or blow off. Works great thanks for the tip!

I had a friend try the mod on his own. This guy doesn't know a chipset from a chipped tooth.

It took him three tries but he got it done. After the first attempt failed he decided to keep the mobo out of the case until he got the mod done right. lol

I think his troubles came from not laying enough pencil lead on the bridge points the first two times. The third time he really went for it an put a huge amount of pencil lead then blew off any excess.

He's just so proud that I can't stand to hear him brag on himself anymore.

Hey I just did this mod. Had a little trouble getting it to work. I took it apart and rubbed pencil on there real good again and put a dab of clear nail polish on there after I made sure it worked. The nail polish will ensure that it dont come off or blow off. Works great thanks for the tip!

Lol yah I really put that lead on there the second time. Good thing mine is already out of the case and stays on my desk lol. That would of been a beeeeeeeeoch.

Hi,

I tried the mod with defroster repairkit, HB, 2B and 5B pencil but everytime the bios shows me nForce4 Ultra and not SLI. The board is from march and the chip A3.

I need help :O

please excuse my english

I would say that you haven't cleaned the contacts well enough, scrape them to fresh metal being very careful not to damage the green Pcb material, if these contacts aren't exposed then all the atempts in the world won't work for you, I know it took me 3 tries and each time I believed I had cleaned them well enough.

-Milkman :)