Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. that looks so easy that I'm tempted to get an Ultra-D board now. Plus since I'm sure this voids the warranty, one might as well save a few bucks and get the oem version off of newegg.

If I get two 6200 NV43chips can I solder together the cards? Can I run dual video without the mod? dual video gives about 88% performance.

I would love to try welfare SLI but if I go "almost sli" can I use the ultra or do I need to do the mod for almost sli to work?

thx.

I was talking to a buddy last night about getting the Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D and modding it to SLI so he can get the Leadtek SLI kit. He was paranoid about making the mod to a brand new board in case there was a problem and needed to RMA the board.

The good thing about doing this mod is that the vendor or DFI won't know a thing it if you do run into trouble and have to RMA the board.

As long as the board looks stock, you will be OK. The chipset heat sink and fan would have to be really messed up in order to raise any suspicion that a mod to the chipset had been performed.

DFI is like most companies, when a defective board is returned, it gets tossed into the chipper-shredder to keep the dumpster divers from getting their hands on it. Nothing worse than someone selling broken DFI stuff on ebay.

Plus, they have a track record of supporting the user when overclocking their boards.

The best thing is, you can let Angry_Games or RGone know about your situation and they will take care of things for you. There are many posts about these guys going to bat for the user and making things right. How many other companies will let you send your parts to them with the promise of making the rig run?

This is one mod that has virtually no downside.

If I get two 6200 NV43chips can I solder together the cards? Can I run dual video without the mod? dual video gives about 88% performance.

I would love to try welfare SLI but if I go "almost sli" can I use the ultra or do I need to do the mod for almost sli to work?

thx.

All of the boards support dual video cards without SLI. You just move the jumpers to switch both slots to X8 mode and you're done. When you're ready for SLI, get a bridge and perform the mod.

Guest Booger

But, from what I understood on anand's review, (not from my own experience) the dual video won't work with newer nvidia drivers as nvidia most assuredly would not intentionally support any type of multigpu solution outside of their own. Would you if it were your company?

edit: Or does moving the jumpers provide a work-around to nvidia's driver inhibit since both slots are then 8x instead of 16 & ?

Guest Booger

Hell, the way i understood the above mentioned review, the dual video wouldn't work after a certain nvidia video driver version because it worked so well and damn near equaled an sli setup's performance it would seriously compete with a legit sli setup. Again my reference is anand's article and not from personal experience what-so-ever. Then again i may very well be fubar. His review is the only source i've got for this specific topic.

www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337