Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I got a bridge from Netlink computers (Ngear)

So I ordered a second card exactly the same and the evercool chipset cooler.

Had to pull mobo, a real bugger cause its water cooled.

Found the contact points and used a dark pencil to link them.

Moved jumpers, Put it all back together, cleared cmos and it booted showing Nforce 4 SLI

My mistake is that i tried to boot with both cards first time without cleaning drivers and it booted to windows with no display:confused:

SO I took out the card, booted, removed drivers and reinstalled, shut it down and put in second card, and rebooted ok, but slow, then enabled SLI and rebooted.

Ran 3dmark 03 right off the bat and it was slower than before, only 13 thousand something:confused: with 2 7600 GT KOs.

Is there something else i need to do?

I've got one sitting new in box and when I read this Anand article I started thinking maybe you can't mod the later cards easily. I'm thinking I really could just pay $25 more and exch for the DFI LANParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert board.

Thoughts??

SD

PS: If the snip is bad let me know I'll edit.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2337&p=1

Snip Anandtech

UPDATE 2/05/2005: nVidia has acted to prevent, or at least make it more difficult, to mod the Ultra board to SLI. First, DFI has advised us, and posted on their website, that they will NOT sell the SLI bridge to buyers of the Ultra board. Second, nVidia has advised us that future shipments of the Ultra chipset have been modified so that the mod to SLI will no longer be possible. An additional side effect of this second action is that the "Dual Video" mode, which performs at about 90% of SLI performance levels, will only work with nVidia SLI drivers 66.75 or earlier. If you do a quick check of web driver postings you will see it is now very difficult to find 66.75 drivers. With a chipset modded to SLI the "Dual Video" mode worked through 70.xx versions of the nVidia driver. nVidia also made it clear they will continue to make driver changes to prevent functioning of any "non-standard" (8X/8X) operation of their SLI driver. This also throws into question whether the VIA "dual graphics" mode on the 894 Pro chipset will ever work with nVidia graphics cards. If you are interested in the current UT Ultra-D we suggest you buy one now if you can find it. Future versions of the UT Ultra-D will not have the same capabilities as a result of these actions.

End SNIP

That info is almost two years old and nothing has come from threats made by nVidia. The boards still mod easily and the drivers will always work since the mod actually turns the nF4-D and Ultra-D chipsets into SLI chipsets just like they come from the factory.

That's perfect, sometimes you read to much and you muddy up the water. Thanks for clarifying my pond.. LOL

SD

That info is almost two years old and nothing has come from threats made by nVidia. The boards still mod easily and the drivers will always work since the mod actually turns the nF4-D and Ultra-D chipsets into SLI chipsets just like they come from the factory.

Hi there. I think this is my first post but I have some questions for you. Do I need to use a #2 pencil? And what is a #2 pencil? lol I seem to only have mechanical pencils and ones that say B1 one them :P

Thanks for the help.

edit* nvm its my 4th post ^^

A number 2 pencil is a standard Yellow pencil with imprinted with #2 on it. This is a measure of the hardness of the pendil lead. You need a #2 because you want to deposit the material across the contacts. If you use a harder pencil like a #3 you won't get enough material down to make the contact.

A quick question.

If you have modded it to SLI do you HAVE to use the modded drivers or can you still use the non sli drivers?

• 2 weeks later...