Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

whats donna's contact if you could share i been looking so i can get a DFI branded sli bridge

Its been 2 days since you registered and you still dont have a sig with your complete specs.. Please make one its a forum rule !!

Try to email Donna @ DFI and tell her you need a order a replacement SLI bridge for a dfi board.. She can normally help people in the US but im not sure about where you are.. If she cant help maybe she can steer you in the right direction..

:nod:

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Post!

I was just browsing around and after reading the first 20 pages of this post I figured I would try the mod on my Very NEW Ultra-D. I broke out my magnifying glass, 99% isopropyl alcohol, #2 pencil, and a small pocket knife...and went to town. Very Easy! I was worried at first about scratching something, but the use of the magnifying glass made everything so much easier.

Within 20 minutes of modding, my board booted up showing SLI. Woohoo! Now, I'm just waiting on my other 6800GS to come in.

Oooh, one question. Can I use any of the latest nVidia drivers? Or do I have to use an older version.

Thanks Again!

Any driver will work. As stated earlier in the thread, this hardware mod makes the chipset provide SLI just like an original SLI chipset. There is no way for a driver to detect the mod.

Awesome Post!

I was just browsing around and after reading the first 20 pages of this post I figured I would try the mod on my Very NEW Ultra-D. I broke out my magnifying glass, 99% isopropyl alcohol, #2 pencil, and a small pocket knife...and went to town. Very Easy! I was worried at first about scratching something, but the use of the magnifying glass made everything so much easier.

Within 20 minutes of modding, my board booted up showing SLI. Woohoo! Now, I'm just waiting on my other 6800GS to come in.

Oooh, one question. Can I use any of the latest nVidia drivers? Or do I have to use an older version.

Thanks Again!

latest drivers are great...i use the beta ones from club SLI on the sli zone on nvidia site....and overclocking your dual gpu's is INSANE!

edit: Sobsy ... i was reading your sig... and for a good SLI too work they should be the exact brand model down to memory for both cards to work properly...so if you have 6600GT (whatever brand it is) you need to get the EXACT SAME CARD for the sli to work properly.

P.S.S: Thunda i can't believe i missed that in your post...i musta been blind...thanks though!

"for a good SLI too work they should be the exact brand model down to memory for both cards to work properly...so if you have 6600GT (whatever brand it is) you need to get the EXACT SAME CARD for the sli to work properly"

Is this true ?? I thought the new drivers allowed mixed vendor support but the card's must be the same gpu ie 6800gt + 6800gt but not 6800 + 6800gt

and preferably both card's should have the same amount of memory.

Only reason I ask is I'm looking at getting a Leadtek 6800gt to go with my MSI 6800gt.

techinically the drivers say that they have mixed vendor support...but the mismatched memory and different brands and different card firmwares are problems that you could encounter...i dunno cuz i haven't tried i just know thats what i have read on a lot of forums

latest drivers are great...i use the beta ones from club SLI on the sli zone on nvidia site....and overclocking your dual gpu's is INSANE!

edit: Sobsy ... i was reading your sig... and for a good SLI too work they should be the exact brand model down to memory for both cards to work properly...so if you have 6600GT (whatever brand it is) you need to get the EXACT SAME CARD for the sli to work properly.

P.S.S: Thunda i can't believe i missed that in your post...i musta been blind...thanks though!

Yeah I know man, i've got an MSI 6600gt, one of the TD-128E models, and i'm planning on grabbing a second one of the exact same stock from my local store (they sold like crazy, when I got one, then quietened down and they still haven't got rid of all the stock, so the two cards will be from very close batches)

I contacted Donna about 3 days ago regarding acquiring a new SLI bridge...nothing yet :(

Hmm, I got an email back from Donna, saying "We’re selling the SLI-Bridge for $10 plus $8 Fedex shipping.". I also have a Credit Card Authrisation Form attached, along with a recommendation to browse over to Atacom.com (which doesn't seem to ship outside of the US).

I figure i'll ask a few questions here before I inundate Donna with questions, might save a little time.

Does anyone (who has perhaps dealt ith Donna), know if this $10 + $8 would be in american pricing, or if it would be the cost to send it out to AUS? (I did specifiy that I was in Australia, and that I was having difficulties getting accurate pricing and such). I suppose i'm still a little confused...

*edit*, for some reason now, ATAcom seems to be giving me (what seem to be) accurate shipping prices, in that it's not showing the $76.00 or such that it showed previously, but more close to $7 for shipping. This would seem correct accoriding to Donnas info, but I still can't select my country as a shipping destination anyway... Sigh :(

Would it not of been better to just scratch some of the varnish on the 2 pads and then solder a wire across?????????????? That way would be safer and also less messy then with a pencil. (PS. Rookies at soldering please don’t do this, as only people with experience should attempt to carry this out. Rookies do what he did with the lame pencil.)

There are a number of ways to create the bridge across the contacts. Each has it own merits and problems.

The pencil mod is the easiest, cheapest and quickest.

Using a circuit-writer is easy and quick but you pay for the pen.

Soldering the joints takes time and skill but gives the best possible connection.

Would it not of been better to just scratch some of the varnish on the 2 pads and then solder a wire across?????????????? That way would be safer and also less messy then with a pencil. (PS. Rookies at soldering please don’t do this, as only people with experience should attempt to carry this out. Rookies do what he did with the lame pencil.)

I would say soldering is unnecessary if you have a circuit pen. While the connection is undoutedly better, it doesn't have to be superb, just good enough to last. It's just a binary switch after all, not a signal carrying connection where you want the signal to be as clean as possible. A pencil mod may rub off so it may not necessary last and there is also the risk (probably quite small) of the pencil lead rubbing off causing shorts.