Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does this mod still work on the newer boards? i thought DFI did something about it

The mod can still be done..

If you read the thread you will see the only thing that has changed is a little epoxy on the contacts that NVIDIA has put on .. But it can be scrapped of very easy..

I'm confused,

several reports I have seen seem to imply that the LAN (and other components) are NOT using the PCI-ex bus but instead are connected directly to the hypertransport bus as I suggested...

E.g. http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/20/nvi...rce4/page2.html

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2248&p=4 (look at the Nvidia graphic for example)

Also, all info I have seen about the Nforce4 suggests it only has 20 PCI-ex lanes. Obviously, it is not possible to connect a LAN, or anything to the PCI-ex bus if you only have 20 lanes but all those lanes are available. But you say the LAN is using the PCI-ex bus? So what's the real story?

I finally modded my ultra to SLI, I have the epoxy on it, and remove them by slowly scraped off using a shape knife, took me like 5 mins and I used HB#2 pencil to color the conduct pin. First try and I got SLI on my boot screen. I'm a happy DFI owner now.

Then I moved my 7800GT to 2nd pci-e, that help to lower the temp by 1C.

My temp read @idle

36C

47C

48C

WOOOOO!!!

I just performed the SLI mod and it went flawlessly! I bought the Caig CircuitWriter at Radio Shack for $12.99. I just applied a dab to complete the connection and let it dry overnight (I didn't use a #2 pencil at all... nor did I use any 'heat' to 'dry' the connection). I reinstalled the chipset cooler today and fired up my PC. After removing the LanParty boot screen, I was greeted with the "nForce4 SLI" message in white letters :nod: VERY quick and easy mod, even if you never plan to go SLI :D I have one of the earlier boards that didn't have the epoxy 'protection' covering it up.

-LaTeR

Bought an Ultra-D from Chief Value in December and finally got the nerve up to mod it. I needed magnifying glasses to see the contacts. Just used an exacto knife to scrape away the epoxy. I used the tip of the exacto knife to spread the circuit writer accross the contacts. I lapped the chipset heatsink while I was at it and then crossed my fingers while it booted up to "SLI". Thanks Ex-Roadie for a great thread.

Guest cruzlink2

sorry to post with no signature but i dont have any hardware yet. only things i have is the Ultra-D mobo and i bought a VC RE cooler to replace the default chipset cooler.

i already worked my way through the epoxy till i saw silver then i stopped i clean up the connections and then proceeded to put the conductive ink. i just wanted to know if it would be a good idea after knowing the mod worked to put circuit searler over the conductive ink to protected from damage.

thank you

Hello

I Have a few(!) questions:

1.Can I Use 500MHZ or higher 184pin DIMM on my mobo?

2.From giga's site my nx66256dp support sli but hasn't the yellow finger to install sli bridge, I wonder if it isn't sli support. Here is giga's link:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/VGA/Products/Pr...V-NX66256DP.htm

3.I want to buy a PSU. Is 310w real enough for me?

Hello To All

First of all, sorry for my english & then:

1.From giga's site my nx66256dp supports sli but hasn't the yellow finger to install sli bridge, I wonder if it isn't sli support. Here is giga's link:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/VGA/Products/Pr...V-NX66256DP.htm

I want to mod the mobo to sli if the vga support sli & then buy another card.

So I Must Be Sure.

2.Sorry to ask this question but you guys are my only guide:

I want to buy twinx512-3200c2 because it's the best RAM can be found in iran.

No OCZ or Geil Performance. only VALUE . DDRs. so what can I do? I read that corsair memorie's aren't as goog as ocz & geil. is it true?

PQI modules, kingstone, vdata DDRs can be take easily(very easily) but there's no Geil or OCZ to my bad luck.:mad:

Help me please.

Thanks sdat1333. You're right: the lowest cards to support sli with bridge are 6600GT & lower than that support sli only by driver.

And supporting sli with driver has low performance result to supporting with bridge.

I just have known this, today.

So I must buy two 6600GT if I want to using SLI hardwarely.

But of course I'll mod the mobo soon, maybe tomorrow. because seeing nf4 SLI on the boot screen is very exciting (more than having two VGA cards).

And After that I'll inform you, of course.