Sign in to follow this  
red930

Mod the Ultra-D to SLI-D Picture Tutorial

Booger,

1) When you load the drivers on the SLI board it works.

2) When you make the mod to the Ultra chipset it turns it into an SLI chipset.

3) See number 1

There is no way the drivers can do anything about it since the chipset is now an SLI as far as the drivers are concerned.

Hell, the way i understood the above mentioned review, the dual video wouldn't work after a certain nvidia video driver version because it worked so well and damn near equaled an sli setup's performance it would seriously compete with a legit sli setup. Again my reference is anand's article and not from personal experience what-so-ever. Then again i may very well be fubar. His review is the only source i've got for this specific topic.

www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337

I believe the AnandTech article when talking about dual video is referancing when they are running X16/2X either native SLI chip or the mod Ultra-D chip. This is what the driver issue has taken away not that after doing the mod you will still get 8X/8X in SLI.

From AnandTech article:

The one huge advantage of the SLI-mod was that once we had SLI-modded the Ultra chip, we could run x16/x2 mode with any nVidia Forceware driver up to 70.xx. The 70.90 driver was the highest driver to support x16/x2 mode even with an SLI chip. x16/x2 would not run, however, with the most recent 71.xx drivers. 71.xx drivers report the board to be SLI-capable, but it does not recognize the second card as an appropriate card for SLI. Clearly, nVidia must have turned off x16/x2 support in the most recent driver as well, only allowing their specified x8/x8 mode to work. We suspect that enthusiasts will find a way to correct this very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Guest Booger

Thanks Alsdersix,

That's what i was trying get across in a disjointed way.

Very Interesting, Not practical but kewl noneless, Shows you those damn #%@#% reuse everything, aka remember 9800 pro flashing to 9800 xt, that's funny, not the first but a recent one.

Very Interesting, Not practical but kewl noneless

Not practical in what way?

Save about 50 bucks and get the non SLI mobo. If you decide later that you want SLI you can make the mod and get the bridge from Leadtek with your own cards or get the Leadtek kit with two cards and the bridge.

Entirely practical since it keeps you out of a dead end situation.

Did the mod this weekend before assembling my new system. Didn't really need to but just wanted to see it say nforce sli :)

How long did it take and what level of experience do you have working on motherboards?

BTW You can change your sig to reflect an nF4 SLI-D now.

Congrats!

ExRoadie,

A quick question, would you recommend doing this before or after putting togther a new rig. I'm going to put new rig next weekend and was wondering if I should do that b4 I put everything in the case. Or should I play it safe by having the rig up and running and make sure that the MBO is not dead and then mod it to SLI.

Just asking your personal opinion.

ExRoadie,

A quick question, would you recommend doing this before or after putting togther a new rig. I'm going to put new rig next weekend and was wondering if I should do that b4 I put everything in the case. Or should I play it safe by having the rig up and running and make sure that the MBO is not dead and then mod it to SLI.

Just asking your personal opinion.

My personal take on things is make sure they work before you mod them. Then you know it's your fault when you break them. lol

I would make sure the board is 100% before making the mod. Get it up and running for a few days and hammer the crap out of it. Run every benchmark and torture test you have available. Once you feel that you have a handle on things then do the mod.

I have an Ultra-D on the bench right now running prime95 and other bencmarks. I'll be modding it later this week for a weekend install.

Hey that what I was thinking, but jsut wanted to get a second opinion on that b4 I carry on with the mod.

Thanks a lot ExRoadie.

PS. Off topic How happy are you with your new OCZ PC-5000, are they worth the $$?

PS. Off topic How happy are you with your new OCZ PC-5000, are they worth the $$?

I'm not done with all of the testing due to the affiars of state. Mostly a drunken state with Cinco De Mayo and Saturday night.

I hit a wall with my el cheapo 3200 winchester 90nm CPU. I should have listened to RGone when he said "you might want a higher multiplier than 10 some day". Little did I know how valuable that advice would be so soon.

I'm not willing to make a final judgement this time. I will say that the two sticks I have perform flawlessly in every memory intensive test I've thrown at them. Once I get over this CPU hump I'll post some updated screen caps.

I wish I had more info for you.