OCZ Powerstream 520 into Lian Li V1000

ricey

Hi people

the OCZ Powerstream 520 watt psu is about 30mm too long to fit into the power supply bay of a Lian Li V1000 PC case. That is a pity, because the V1000 is a great case, and the OCZ 520 Powerstream is a great psu.

Another problem is that the cables exiting the OCZ 520 do not exit over the entrance hole to the hdd's and the motherboard (these cases are designed like no other cases I have seen).

The fix is really simple; stick the psu in upside down so that the cables exit the psu directly over the entrance hole to the hdd's and the motherboard and make custom brackets to hold it in place. Having the psu upside down is not a problem, as these psu's have 2 fans; 1 in the front and 1 at the back, rather than the usual arrangement of 1 in front and 1 underneath.

If I was really fussy, I'd paint the aluminium brackets black, but I am not fussy.

ricey

Guest Booger

That sucks that you had to do that to get 2 good components to work together. That's the only reason I bought a 1200, because they're longer/deeper/roomier for ps's. I know that doesn't have anything to do with your mod really, but way to make it work, man!

Heres a picture of a rear view of the psu; you can see that the psu has its own compartment that is separate from the motherboard compartment, and from the hdd racks that also have their own separate compartment.

Makes for good cooling :nod:

100_5216.jpg

Here is a picture of how these compartments work

v1000.jpg

cheers, ricey

• 3 weeks later...
Guest burningrave101

The newer V1000's have screws instead of rivets holding the HDD bays and the PSU compartment wall in place. All you have to do is take out that wall in the PSU compartment and the PowerStream will fit in the case. If it was any longer though it wouldn't.

I tried out a V1200 but i didn't really like the extra length sitting on my desk so i went back to my V1000b.