Sign in to follow this  
red930

The DFI Movie Club

Guest Blooz1

ExRoadie, in the start of this thread you mentioned one of my favorites of all times - Lawrence of Arabia!

I just happened to watch this one the other night! No other movie has ever truly expressed desert climate, especially in the first half.

There's scenes that make me break out in a sweat! Great stuff in Jan/Feb when ya need some HEAT!

Lawrence was such a strange guy....

I got to see it in the theater when I was a kid. One of the best examples of why you should only watch movies in widescreen format.

ExRoadie, in the start of this thread you mentioned one of my favorites of all times - Lawrence of Arabia!

I just happened to watch this one the other night! No other movie has ever truly expressed desert climate, especially in the first half.

There's scenes that make me break out in a sweat! Great stuff in Jan/Feb when ya need some HEAT!

I'm right now watching "Contact". I love Jody Foster. My fav scene from the movie is near the end and she is teleported through the "worm hole" and sees the 5 galaxies, and tearfully/joyfully reports to earth: "It's some celestial event! So beautiful! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. I had no idea. I had no idea that it could be so beautiful, I had no idea, I had no idea."

I also was emotional when she met up w/ the apparition of her father on that beautiful beach.

i found the land before time to be interesting since it seems AMD named quite a few of their K6 cores after things in that movie, like little foot, chomper and sharp tooth.

Guest Blooz1

Two of my favs, both with Mickey Rourke;

"Barfly" based on writer/poet Charles Bukowski's seedy experiences. "A drink for all my frieeeends!" Faye Dunaway's good in this one, and also Sly Stallone's brother as the resident "bad butt"!

"Angel Heart" with Robert DeNiro and Lisa Bonet. DeNiro's great - how many other people could make eating an egg into an ominously scary thing? Lotsa New Orleans, too!

"Angel Heart" was a great movie especaly the unedited form :)I liked DeNiro better before he rebroke his nose and it got straited out for some reason.

My list of must see's

Blade Runner Directors Cut ONLY (Who needs bloody voice overs and really, is Deckard a replicant???? Best version without the happy (quickly bolted on)ending)

The Thing (IMO the best John Carpenter film)

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended Editions ONLY (Nuff said, I cant watch those nutured theatrical releases. Just need a spare 12+ hours to watch em back to back)

Legend Directors Cut ONLY (Better than the American Tangerine Dream Music version.. longer too)

The Abyss Directors Cut ONLY (Complete change of story, much better)

Alien and Aliens (again Directors Cuts ONLY The first two films are classics)

Monty Python's The Life of Brian (Which I find better than Holy Grail for some reason... Hes NOT the Messiah, hes a VERY NAUGHTY BOY!)

Evil Dead II (Better than the first one.. damn funny film)

Army of Darkness Bootleg Directors cut (ONLY watch this version. Has the full "windmill" scene and is a much better film)

The Original Star Wars Trilogy (Only the first 2 are must see's though)

2001 and 2010 (Classics in thier own right)

Gladiator (The Thinking man's Conan!)

Conan the Barbarian (Pray to Crom!)

Spaceballs (I loved this film, I dont know why)

The Princess Bride (Classic cult comedy/love story)

Saving Private Ryan (if only for the first ten mins)

Dark Crystal (dark Muppets ooooooh!)

Excalibur (The BEST King Arthur film EVER made)

Akira (not the dubbed one.. learn to read, better story and dialogue)

Highlander (first one ONLY, the others all sucked)

DUNE (I liked it but I watched before reading the books. The books are better (except for the last three by Frank Herbert and the last chapter?? WTF?? I read thru all those tomes for THAT???) Should have ended when Leto II died after 3000 years rule. ) The Mini - Series is better more accurate version of the books, by far.

Have more, but I cant be bothered typing :P

Keep typing Cythrawl -

You are batting 1.000 so far.

When you recommend one I haven't seen I'm gonna go rent it.

Amazed that your recommendations are so close to my thoughts.

Man, you must have some wierd sheet goin' on in yer haid! :D

OK Heres some more.

John Carpenter's Dark Star (The spacman surfing the debris is just classic, and the intelligent smart nuke!! heh)

Silent Running (A very touching tale indeed and one that still has a strong message today)

Big Fish (Tim Burton's best film for a long long time... Tall tales, great story and even has a moral)

Mad Max II (I preferred this one over the first. Loved the style and everything. III was a huge dissapointment tho!)

Fists of the North Star (the Orginal Anime version. What I used to call a "Friday night Curry Run" film. Get some Indian takeaway, a box of beer, some friends round and enjoy)

The Green mile and Shawshank Redemption (both classic tales written by Steven king. awesome films. The Green Mile has been known to make grown men cry!)

Watership Down (really not a cutsey kids bunny film. A very good story and some pretty grim violence in there too. Not for little uns at all)

Also from the same people as above :

The Plague Dogs (Again not a kids cartoon at all. Very hard to get hold of and very disturbing too :P )

City Of Lost Children (A truly Bizarre french film thats well worth watching. Very surreal indeed)

The Big Lebowski (Cohen brothers at thier best. A great film again watch with friends and beer)

Clerks (both the film and the animated series) (Awesome film (yes I know its in black and white) well worth watching and will probably open the way for the other films, Mallrats, Jay and Silent Bob, etc)

The Elephant Man (David Lynch's best film IMO. True story and very touching. Yes I can be a big softy)

The Bounty (Antony Hopkins and Mel Gibson are perfect casting for this film. Again based on true events. Shame it doesnt go into what happened on Pictern Island after the mutineers settled there. Stirring Vangelis Music and memorable moments... Its FILTHY SIR.... FILTHY...)

Speaking of Mel Gibson,

Braveheart (I love this film. Its historicly inaccurate mind, but still a great film. The Battle of Stirling was fought on a bridge not a field for one. Still has some of the best battle scenes in any film. And I have been to most places in Scotland that are relavent in the film. Try running up the Wallace Monument's stairs... phew)

And speaking of Scotland,

Rob Roy (again another great film, not as good as braveheart, but captures Scotlands' beauty well and the spirit of the people)

Again I visited all the places in the film and all the places in Highlander too. Highlander is wierd tho, as it shows Glenfinnan On the shores of Loch Shiel (Where Conner McCleod says he is from) as Eliean Donan Castle which is really on the shores of Kyle of Lochalsh. Glenfinnan IS in the film though, as Lock Shiel is the loch that Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert are on the boat .. B-A-L-A-N-SHE-EE .... BALANSHEE--

I'll post more when I think of them