The DFI Book Club

cronocrash

well i didnt want to imply that you were a hacker by reading 2600. ive flipped through it a few times myself alot of that stuff is over my head but i can usually catch the drift of what they are trying to do.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Booger

Fiction:

Stephen King's books from the 70's-->90's are all pretty darn good.

Brahm Stoker's "Dracula" good story.

Non-Fic:

"Low Level Hell" by Hugh Mills---Viet Nam scout pilot real story, changed the way I fly and probably saved my life this past year :angel:

oooh i totally forgot to add some awesome books.

remember, the movie is good. the book is *far* superior.

Modern Classics/Literature:

Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange If you can find an older copy of this book it will have a dictionary of all the slang terms used in the book and movie.

Horror:

Stephen King - The Shining (my fav Stephen King so far (movie rule also applies here [Jack Nicholson o.g. movie, i fail to acknoledge the existence of any other Shining movie]))

MoLoKo VeLoCeT

Guest culinist

David Eddings - The Belgariad , The Mallorean , The Elenium, The Tamuli, The Redemtion of Althalus

Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth

Raymond Feist - All from Magician Aprentice through the Serpent War(AWESOME BOOKS)

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time (Long and should have ended years ago but still one of the most detailed series I have ever read, goin on like 12,00 pages total)

Tom Clancy - Jack Ryan Books

Clive Cussler - All ( Love Dirk Pitt )

Guest culinist

I think reading for me is like an addiction. I have to have a book with me at all times, just in case. I'm terrible at waiting around for something, so I read.:) Never bored, always entertained:)

Do you folks re-read books? My favorites I can read over and over. It's like visiting with old freinds. I've had to re-read the Wheel of time a few time because ther eis so much goin on that I forget alot of it in between book releases.

A Matter For Men (The War Against the Chtorr, Book 1) by David Gerrold

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever Stephen R. Donaldson

The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke 1950's version (thereare over 5 versions)

Schismatrix by Bruce Sterling

Ringworld Larry Nivin

Tactics of Mistake by Gordon R. Dickson

Netscape by Del Ray (?)

At one time I used to read at least one if not two books a day. Now I am lucky if I can get to read two a month.

I can't even begin to pin down my favorites, so here's just a few off the top of my head.

John Irving - "The World According To Garp" (just finished it and liked it quite a bit) also, "A Prayer for Owen Meany" etc

C.S. Lewis - Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength)

Frank Herbert - Dune Series (The originals, not the new ones his son is doing. I can see too much of Kevin Anderson's influence)

John Steinbeck - "Grapes of Wrath" and "East of Eden" etc

Culinist-

David Eddings - The Belgariad , The Mallorean , The Elenium, The Tamuli, The Redemtion of Althalus

Thank you so much! Someone suggested that series to me something like 4 or 5 years ago and I'd forgotten what the titles and author were. Every once in awhile when trying to think of something new to read I'd think about it and get irritated that I couldn't remember. I'll copy that to my list of books to read so I won't lose it again :)