Sign in to follow this  
slurmsm@ckenzie

plastic locking mechanism on 875Pro B rev A

sold to a bozo who somehow broke off the plastic piece at the edge of the agp slot that provides pressure against the plastic hook of the card. he put in the sound card because of the lack of audio detailed in a previous thread here, and has since lost video. the computer starts up, and i hear the clicks associated with the motherboard checklist... all fans start up including the vid card (fan attaches at mobo, not card). i pressed the card with my thumb at the edge farthest from the slot cover to simulate the pressure provided by the piece, but still no video. tried the monitor with another computer and it works fine. any ideas?

would taking apart the whole thing and reinstalling everything help? is that plastic piece absolutely necessary?

I would recommend going with a basic config: motherboard out of the case (with CPU and heatsink installed, of course :) ), video card, 1 stick of ram and power supply hooked-up. No drives whatsoever and no other adaptor cards. If it posts and you can see it on the monitor, then check the motherboard standoffs in the case to make sure that one is not installed where there is no hole. That is where I would start.

If he Broke the lock of the agp slot by forcing the Agp Card out,he may have broke some soldering point beneath the Agp Slot.

Try checking each side of the agp slot to see if any of the little metal pin under it seems broken

how much force are we talking about here? he's playing dumb on the whole thing. i got his money and in all honesty, if someone's gonna eat it on the deal, it isn't gonna be me. it worked when i dropped it off..... well, 'cept for the audio... but that's a simple thing. i don't wanna leave the guy hanging if there's something i can do, but if a motherboard replacement is necessary, i need to be confident in assuming that if someone broke it, they know it. that way, i'll feel justified in replacing the mobo at his cost.

so you have an idea....

i ran this computer:

320 celery d

875B Rev A

9600Pro

512 corsair xms 3200 cl2

TT Soprano w/ 430W stock

NEC 2500A 8x

for initial boot up i hooked my raptor up to this setup while i waited for it's HDD. i ran 3DMark01, got a 13K and change, and then let it run a few more times so the goobers at work could get an idea of what $600 can buy 'em.

i've since put in an 80GB WD IDE, installed xp pro and sp1 (in front of him at his house) as well as some other goodies (nero, norton....you know how it goes). so this thing was in obvious working shape (again, no audio) when i left it. i feel bad, but this guy's a fvckin' tard or something to break that piece off.

i know i've rambled a bit here, but my main focus is that piece of plastic and the level of force needed to break it. if i feel he knows he's an idiot and f'ed it all up, then it's buy a new mobo, or sweet looking computer that don't work. i better cash that check tomorrow now that i think about it....

i have seen mobo's that someone tryed to install a pci card and shorted out the chip by the pci slot's and it would no longer show anything on the monitor but still seemed to boot up and stuff. it was a black square with tiny wire leg's allway around it and they had tiny dent's in the wire leg's.

when i overclocked to far once, my video did shut down, and would not come back even after using cmos reloaded to load my fail safe settings. I put in an old vid card i had laying around, and video worked fine. i did not let windows load any new drivers for this card. I then put back in my main vid card, and worked like a charm. I was using a 9800pro at the time as my main card.

p.s. i personally dont think the retainer being broken would do anything to keep card from working properly, unless the newb removed card when pc was powered up. In that case, he may have made a nice little arc. Arc's kill.