Sign in to follow this  
cronocrash

Factory Refurbs

sorry Charlie, not entirely true. That's why we overclock 200FSB Mem to 250. And add extra cooling to turn a 3000+ into something faster than a stock FX-55.

Design for inovation?? DFI I thought it was Diamond Flower Incorporated LOL!!!

Diamond Flower International actually. It just happened that DFI could stand for Design For Inovation as great slogan as well. DFI is named after the owner(top person)'s mother.

When you get a full retail product from Newegg and it is missing something, they take it out of another box and send it to you. Then they remove all the accessories from that box and sell it as refurbished. That way they have spare parts and still sell the product.

That is mostly speculation, but I would do it.

Instead of buying refurbs I would rather buy used boards from members with reputations from "for sale/trade" forums. The newegg refurbs are not that cheap compared to deals you can get on "hot deals" forums. Check out www.fatwallet.com > forums > hot deals. This is probably the most active hot deals forums. You will often find great deals on RETAIL products.

Guest Blooz1
Newegg.com does not test any product, including refurbished items. Refurbished components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISHED PRODUCTS. Refurbished items are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com.

NewEgg doesn't do ANY testing. Buying a refurb MB there is a crapshoot - I've had good luck with the 2 I've bought. One had everything from the retail package, the other was just missing extras, such as round cables. Both still work fine, but are "retired" right now.

I wouldnt buy refurbs either.. I do on the other hand buy used pc stuff from classifieds in forums.. But this is always from well known and respected members with good references.

Ive never had a problem that way..

My new rig is built mainly with 2nd hand parts from FS or trade forums

My 3500+Clawhammer for example. I had been reading the persons posts into different forums about the OC'ing ability of this chip than he wanted to upgrade and I scooped it up when he posted it FS :D

I would go with FS forums before I would refirb any day

warranty doesn't matter much if you overclock it though. If it's a considerable amount of saved money, and they offer atleast 90 days, go for it. Test it out, if you don't like it, then you'll have to pay shipping back is all. Just hope it doesn't quit (while overclocking or otherwise voiding the warranty) during your 90 day test. I would think a business like newegg would have just as good a warranty or name, as a person with a good name in a forum.

woudl you guys ever buy refurbished harddrives? is it a good idea? would the life of the HD be lower because they are refurbished?

Is it a factory refurbished straight from the manufacture or a refurbished from an online retailer. Refurbs can be anything from blowing the dust off and plugging it in to total internal component replacement. I think I would pass on a refurb hard drive unless it was a factory recertified unit with a good warranty.

If you're just after some cheap but good drives check out the hitachi's on newegg.

I wouldn't buy a refurbished hard-drive unless it was factory refurbished. Unfortunately, Newegg doesn't tell you.

I'm pretty daring when it comes to buying refurbs. My motherboard is a refurb. Yep, the DFI Expert. I got it for 128 with 1 dollar S/H for 3 day shipping from Newegg. Came with everything but the case badges and it worked like a charm and overclocks like a charm.

Most people wouldn't dare to buy refurbished mobo's. But w/e. I wouldn't buy the HD refurb...