Factory Refurbs

cronocrash

I have had about 70/30 luck on refurbs from New egg.

Just got an SLI dr off them and Need an I/O shield. does anyone know where to buy one?? Only thing I need really I have the Sata disk and the driver disk and plenty of cords.

ANy help finding an I/O shield would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mileage varies with any factory refurbished item. Be aware that many refurb items have not been thoroughly checked-out by the manufacturer or e-taior.

Cases in point:

A refurb Asus A7V333, with a 30 day warranty, was purchased for a good friend of mine to upgrade his Socket 7 system. When it came time to assemble the unit (45 days later when he had all the parts together) it was found that the PS2 keyboard and mouse ports did not function. He ended-up spending another $80 on a new motherboard with a 1 year warranty.

My Viewsonic VPW505 50" Plasma T.V.: I purchased this on April 26th, 2004 for a total sum of $6,500. 5 months later, The pictures started flashing quickly once or twice daily which gradually worsened over time until it started flashing on and off rapidly when powered on. Viewsonic sent a repair technician out who was unable to repair the problem. 1st replacement 'factory remanufactured' plasma (same model) arrived 2 weeks after original was sent off and began to flicker within the first week. That one was sent off and 2 weeks later, the 2nd 'Factory Remanufactured' unit arrived and lasted less than 3 weeks before it refused to turn on and made a low humming noise. I am currently awaiting the arrival of the 3rd replacement unit which is due to arrive by the end of the week. Hopefully this one will not have the same issues as the other 2 replacements did.

Not meaning to sound against refurbs. About 94% of the refurb computer parts I have purchased work wonderfully!

AG - Why do the refurb DFI N4D boards from Newegg come without the audio module? I can see the lack of cables, manual, drivers, etc., but no onboard audio? That seems like an integral feature of the board.

so what you are saying is that refurbs are only warnteed through DFI for 90 days? I bought my LP 875b refurb from newegg.

yes...only 90 days...spend a little extra (if you live in USA/Canada) and buy the regular retail board....3 year warranty is a hell of a lot more safety net than 90 days...

AG - Why do the refurb DFI N4D boards from Newegg come without the audio module? I can see the lack of cables, manual, drivers, etc., but no onboard audio? That seems like an integral feature of the board.

dont buy refurb...always buy retail...you get 3 year warranty instead of 90-day (refurb) warranty...plus a retail box always comes with all the cables, audio, etc

It was the 3rd time around for me so I was like "wth, lets see what you get with a refurb". Not complaining, board works great and will serve well in its intended purpose without all the extras. Box still looks kinda OEM to me though. dfimbbox.jpg

• 1 month later...

just bought an ATI X300SE PCI-E video card refurb from the Egg...cost me $12.00 less than a regular OEM X300SE but these are only used as initial test cards (since i cant afford a bunch of 6600/6800/X800 cards)

works like a charm...but if it dies, I am only out $32.00

a motherboard on the other hand...I wouldn't take that chance no matter how good the price is

It was the 3rd time around for me so I was like "wth, lets see what you get with a refurb". Not complaining, board works great and will serve well in its intended purpose without all the extras. Box still looks kinda OEM to me though. dfimbbox.jpg

Design for inovation?? DFI I thought it was Diamond Flower Incorporated LOL!!!

well yes sorta kinda :)

Ultra-D was on sale for $85 and I had a $50 credit that expired on July 15th for previous whining to them. So was really only $35 and $1 shipping. Pretty good deal. I'll know if I was stupid or got lucky this weekend after tests.

Course I will have to buy a Karajan module down the road so I prolly didn't save much, if anything, and lost the 3 year warranty. But if it clocks well? Maybe OK.