Socket 939 Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

likewhoa,

I'm so sorry man, I totally misread what you wrote, for some reason I thought your wrote 246, not 346! That changes everything, lol! I forgot that the highest multi on your 165 is 9, that makes it very hard to run 1:1 if you want your CPU to run at high clockspeeds! With that said please disregard my earlier post, I feel like an idiot! I'm gonna go check your OCDB entry out now.

I'm back with a few question likawhoa. On your DB entry you have your "LTD Voltage" set to 1.2v, you might want to up it to 1.3v, same with your chipset voltage, maybe try upping it to 1.6v give to take. Although this might not make for huge stability it might help a bit when using higher FSB speeds. Now also in your DB entry you have your "Tras" to 00, is that just a mistype or is that really what you have your "Tras" set to? You might want to up it to around 8 or so. The same thing goes for your "Trrd", you have it set to 00, is that mistake, you might want to try 03 give to take. Last but not least on your "Dram Response Time" is set to "Fast", you might want to try "Normal". I'm not exaclty sure why that is although people that know much more than myself have suggested that the memory controller on the Opteron's can't handle the Fast setting. And since this setting doesn't mean that your RAM is running "fast" as compared to "normal" it probably has more to do with stability than overall speed (of course I could be wrong, these are just suggestions). Good luck man running stable at 280! I hope to be stable up there 1:1 soon.

Upping LTD and Chipset voltages a little would be worth a try. Although I haven't found where it made any difference, good or bad, on any of my boards. Trrd and Tras settings are probably correct. At 00 they default to some other value anyway.

defiant9

Nice overclock. There has been quite a few good entries put up in the last couple of days.

likewhoa,

I'm so sorry man, I totally misread what you wrote, for some reason I thought your wrote 246, not 346! That changes everything, lol! I forgot that the highest multi on your 165 is 9, that makes it very hard to run 1:1 if you want your CPU to run at high clockspeeds! With that said please disregard my earlier post, I feel like an idiot! I'm gonna go check your OCDB entry out now.

I'm back with a few question likawhoa. On your DB entry you have your "LTD Voltage" set to 1.2v, you might want to up it to 1.3v, same with your chipset voltage, maybe try upping it to 1.6v give to take. Although this might not make for huge stability it might help a bit when using higher FSB speeds. Now also in your DB entry you have your "Tras" to 00, is that just a mistype or is that really what you have your "Tras" set to? You might want to up it to around 8 or so. The same thing goes for your "Trrd", you have it set to 00, is that mistake, you might want to try 03 give to take. Last but not least on your "Dram Response Time" is set to "Fast", you might want to try "Normal". I'm not exaclty sure why that is although people that know much more than myself have suggested that the memory controller on the Opteron's can't handle the Fast setting. And since this setting doesn't mean that your RAM is running "fast" as compared to "normal" it probably has more to do with stability than overall speed (of course I could be wrong, these are just suggestions). Good luck man running stable at 280! I hope to be stable up there 1:1 soon.

My LTD and Chipset Voltage are raised a bit from default now at my current fsb of 346, I'm gonna lower my RAM timings a bit like you suggested. I just hope that a few tweaks here and there can keep me at this divider as when I set it to 150 it doesn't even finish the boot process. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion and good luck getting your 1:1 clock :) I wouldn't worry to much about Mem Bandwidth and focus more on CPU Mhz instead, but damn I have hoped these munskins would atleast run 3dstable at 280-290Mhz :(

hey Praz have you experienced any instability at 280mhz+ on your Redlines?

Hey your current clock on those modules is pretty darn impressive! I'm not sure how many 2GB modules are up for doing 270+ at 3-3-2-8? I'd like to at least get to 3.0Ghz 1:1 which is about 272Mhz. Your right though, I realize that running 1:1 isn't as important as overall CPU speed but it would still be cool!

Just a quick question (likewhoa and Praz), what's this running Tras at 00, Iv'e never heard of anyone doing that before? I'm suprised it's even possible to have that setting so low, even UTT/BH-5 like to be around 5-8? Just curioius as I've very rarely seen that, thanks guys.

On a side note likewhoa, what part of Brooklyn do you live in? I recenlty lived in South Brooklyn on Clinton/Carrol streets, what a small world, lol.

Hey your current clock on those modules is pretty darn impressive! I'm not sure how many 2GB modules are up for doing 270+ at 3-3-2-8? I'd like to at least get to 3.0Ghz 1:1 which is about 272Mhz. Your right though, I realize that running 1:1 isn't as important as overall CPU speed but it would still be cool!

Just a quick question (likewhoa and Praz), what's this running Tras at 00, Iv'e never heard of anyone doing that before? I'm suprised it's even possible to have that setting so low, even UTT/BH-5 like to be around 5-8? Just curioius as I've very rarely seen that, thanks guys.

Infineon Chip :D

Upping LTD and Chipset voltages a little would be worth a try. Although I haven't found where it made any difference, good or bad, on any of my boards. Trrd and Tras settings are probably correct. At 00 they default to some other value anyway.

defiant9

Nice overclock. There has been quite a few good entries put up in the last couple of days.

upping my LTD & Chipset Voltage was what got me stable at 345x9 :)

don't ask me why :D

As I wrote above 00 is not a valid number therefore the bios is using some other value. Below is what Marcus who works for OCZ had to say about Tras over at the BleedinEdge forums.

Nobody can really tell cause 0 is not a valid number on that timings. 0 and 5 gives the same bandwith. Very few boards have 0 on the TRAS.

likewhoa

Great overclock. But why are your 3dMark scores so low. 3dMark06 is only 1/3 the score that I get at 345x9. And what's up with SP2004 and small FFTs instead of Prime95 and custom blend.

likewhoa

Great overclock. But why are your 3dMark scores so low. 3dMark06 is only 1/3 the score that I get at 345x9. And what's up with SP2004 and small FFTs instead of Prime95 and custom blend.

thanks man :)

It's my crappy 7900GTX I got from EVGA, this my second RMA and it really performs like a turtle :(

I've always used small FFTs to stress CPU for prime stability and just use blend when I'm getting my RAM stable, about using SP2004, I prefer it since it has big letter and bright colors, with Prime95 You have to stare at it to tell if it's done or not.

one thing is my RAM is not booting up at the 150 divider and I will need to play with it more to get it going on that, since at 281Mhz it's not 3dstable :(

Guest LithoTech
3) LDBFE 0612 FPMW

Im still pushing it to go further. I can boot up at 2.8 but it fails prime on core1 after about 4 hours... wonder if I should push a bit more voltage.. Im new to these X2's so Im not sure how far I should go... my temps are good, so maybe 1.55? Im also thinking about playing around with some newer bios, but Im not sure which to go with...

I'm new to X2's too, so really couldn't offer more than speculation.

That stepping is real close to my Bro's! Will have to eyeball the two closely when I get him a stable overclock he can post here.