Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Socket 939 Discussion Thread

I have been going through the information in the database and playing with overclocking my rig. You can see where I am at in the sig. I have stopped at 230 because it is fast and required very little voltage changes since I am running on air with a Zalman 9500. Based on my system information can you give me an idea what the max I should be able to get. I realize that not all chips are equal but what changes should I make? This is my first LanParty and my son had a 3500+ with an Ultra-D I just built him a couple months ago.

Genie BIOS Settings:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 230

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X4

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X11

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value......................... - Startup

CPU VID Control............................... - 1.300

CPU VID Special Control....................... - X 112.0%

LDT Voltage Control........................... - 1.30v

Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.59v

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.74v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 200=RAM/FSB:01/01

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Auto

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 3 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 6 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 3 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 7 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - Auto

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - 3120 Cycles

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

cpu.jpg

memory.jpg

sg.jpg

aq3.jpg

F.E.A.R. 1.04 @ 1680x1050, 4xAA/2xAF, all graphics maximized, Soft Shadows = OFF

FEAR.jpg

Half-Life 2: Lost Coast @ 1680x1050, 4xAA/16xAF, HDR enabled, all graphics maximized

HL2LostCoast.jpg

Here is the info on my son machine. Thoughts?

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-d

Athlon64 3500+ Venice

2x1024MB Mushkin Black Extreme 3438

200 Gig WD SATA 16 Megs Cache

Benq 16X DVD-RW

XFX PVT70FUND7 Geforce 7800GTX

Thermaltake Butterfly 480 Watt power supply

Audigy II Gamer

Windows XP Pro SP 2

enie BIOS Settings:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 240

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X4

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - X11

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... - 100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value......................... - 1.400

CPU VID Control............................... - 1.400

CPU VID Special Control....................... - X 113.0%

LDT Voltage Control........................... - 1.20v

Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.50v

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.70v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 200=RAM/FSB:01/01

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 3

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 4 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 8 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 3 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 7 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 14

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - 3120 Cycles

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

He posted a nice score of 4339 in 3DMark06.

He also posted an Aquamark score of 85K.

I will grab some screenshots when I get a chance. He kinda booted me off he wanted to play.

BTW forgive my newb questions. This is my first time getting into overclocking. I have gotten this far thanks to these great forums. I always used Asus before or MSI and the autotuners. Yea yea I know. LOL

Realisticly I think it is less confusing for someone just starting out to start getting all kinds of different settings/advice from a bunch of different members and start with the overclocking guide. It is really the best way to get your feet wet and actually learn rather than be guided and learn next to nothing :) Just my opinion of course. Once you get a feel for your setup you can start asking more specific questions and get better answers...

Here's the link...I do believe they have merged the memory guide into it as well>>http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28049

LOL. Ok. I been there done that. Read all the build guides from nf4 forum, read the overclocking pdf, memory timing etc... I do not understand it all but have gotten this far. I think I can get a little more out of my machines and that is why I asked. I may be a newb but I have been working on my own to understand. I was just looking for anything I may have overlooked and then I will go figure it out from there.

I mean I even looked through what people were doing to verify stability and ran those benchmarking programs and games. The only thing I have not ran yet is prime95. I will probably run that tonight. I was trying to find information on why a software designed to find prime numbers is a good tester. I mean for that matter you could run electric sheep to test math computations.

LOL. Ok. I been there done that. Read all the build guides from nf4 forum, read the overclocking pdf, memory timing etc... I do not understand it all but have gotten this far. I think I can get a little more out of my machines and that is why I asked. I may be a newb but I have been working on my own to understand. I was just looking for anything I may have overlooked and then I will go figure it out from there.

I mean I even looked through what people were doing to verify stability and ran those benchmarking programs and games. The only thing I have not ran yet is prime95. I will probably run that tonight. I was trying to find information on why a software designed to find prime numbers is a good tester. I mean for that matter you could run electric sheep to test math computations.

Don't get me wrong :) By all means ask questions, just wanted to make sure you weren't just another "help me overclock" poster LOL!!!!

First things first...at the very least verify your current settings to be Prime95 stable before we start making suggestions. If you pass, great! if not, we know we got some work to do...

Alright got a stress test running. I chose 12 hour stress test only and gave it the recommended 185 megs in the readme. So we will see. I also have everest installed and sisoft sandra pro and need to figure out how to use them. Can you point me to a place that list the test I should run and with what variables?

For Sandra you just need to run the "memory bandwidth" test...With everest the "benchmark" for memory. Neither is really much of a "stress" test but good for checking progress with changes you've made. That's all I really use them for...

For running Prime95 you want the default "blend test" with no alterations. This way everybody is comparing apples to apples...same with 3D benchmarks. Check out a few posts in the Overclocking Data Base to see what everything shouild look like. Also helpful to cruise for similar setups/hardware as yours and try some settings out. Most excellent tool :) The requirements Happy has laid out keep the suicide screenshots out of the picture and give you realistic numbers to shoot for...

Thanks for the fast response. I have everything installed and am running the prime95 now. We will see in the morning how it looks. I have passed the first 3 tests so far. I assume I should not be running these tests together.

Nah..I usually run Aquamark3, 3DM01, 3DM03, 05, 06 then fire up prime95 and hit the sack...after casting glances back and forth from the TV to the PC till I fall asleep that is. Usually fails like 15 minutes after I fall asleep!! :)

Makes you fear going to sleep doesn't it. Then you get that one dream where you look at the screen and that little icon in the tray is yellow.

What do you think of my latest entry?

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...3&postcount=234

What I think is that now I have to buy a better cooler for my 148 to try and reach your mark!

And here I was thinking I was paying BACK the credit card.. looks like stalemate until next pay heh