Socket 939 Discussion Thread

Guest navinjohnson

well just for the hell of it I turned the AC in the house, shooting cold air straight at the thing with a fan, then relaxed the ram settings a bit and tried to boot up at 3ghz with 1.55v and RAM at 200mhz, 133 divider and 10x multi. Didn't work :-P oh well. Back to being serious or something like that.

Stressed 2.85. 1.45v failed fast, 1.475 failed in an hour. Now on 1.5v... we'll see how it goes.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest navinjohnson

1.5v is running my CPU at 38C(die temp) at idle and 61-63C(core temps) at load. It's a huge jump from 1.475v which runs 38C idle also, but my cores run at 55C max full load. I'm not sure why there would be such a huge jump in temps, but there is. I think on air my max for now is 2.8, which I am very happy with.

2.8 now posted, now to work on the timings, I think they can be tighter considering those are stable to 210.

i think i found my max at 2.673(11x243) @ 1.45v, i have it on a 5/6 divider and im testing it a little above that now with orthos while im at work (i believe its at 11x245 now)

once i get my new case/water cooling and some better ram hopefully ill get up to 3ghz

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a 170 to replace my old 3700 Sandy

I haven't tinkered in the Bios for a while and wanted to see what it would do.

When I turn down the Ram divider to see if I could crank up the FSB it just won't get much past 260(Auto volts 1.3) without even making it it into windows.

When I try 270 it will just keep rolling back into the Bios and restarting. I tried increasing the voltage all the way up to 1.5 but nothing. The temps at load are about 45-48 at the 260. 37 idle.

Is there something else in the Bios to adjust when trying this?

Sorry I dont have screens I am at the office.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest navinjohnson

Stephen try raising ram dividers, as I found out recently, lower dividers limit your overclock. I have found with my opty 170 and Ultra-D that anything below 140 and I can't OC past 2.8 without putting a lot of voltage into the cpu. Once I relaxed my ram timings and used the 140 divider, I was able to boot all the way to 3.1 with 1.475v and I am now testing 2.95 with 1.4v.

Guest navinjohnson

One week with the 120A... and this thing is awesome! I was able to lower my voltages WAY down, and I am now rock solid at 2.95 with 1.4v. I am stressing now at 2.97 and it looks like it will pass. I am failing Orthos at 3 and 2.99ghz though, and have yet to figure out why. My ram is good to 220ish and I'm at 215, and upping cpu voltage doesn't change anything. I'm going to be VERY sad :sad: if I can't get stable at 3ghz when I'm so darn close!

oh and temps at 2.97 1.4v are 48-50C

I haven't even lapped the thing yet :O

Just a quick update, as itss been many months since i was here last. I ditched my 3500+ as it just didnt liked being overclocked at all. I picked up a opto 170 for cheap ( not sure of the stepping anymore ) And over the last few months i have pushed it from 2.6ghz to 3.2ghz at 320fs 1:1. Okay its not air cooled, but its only a simple watercooling setup. Im pretty sure i could get the same speeds on a tuniq or a ultra 120 extreme with some lapping and a ihs removal. Still, it pays to get good ram when overclocking the 939 chips. I was using corsair 4400 and was stuck at 292fsb 1:1 with the new mushkin i could go straight to 320fsb 1:1 with 2.75v. Best of all, the whole thing is for sale now :)