Chipset fan on my Ultra D is blocking my X800XL

Guest Partizan_merged

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I "wiggled" my X800XL too, and it fitted just fine. Too bad I can't replace the chipset fan with my old Zalman ZM-NB47J.

Oh, and the VGA Silencer rev.3 fits on my X800XL just fine :)

Regards, Partizan

Hey this is good news, if my friend wont be able to buy this for me ill use the VGA rev3 which is available here already :-D Did you OC your X800XL? And did it fit without anyprobs onyour board?

My powercolor X800XL fits just fine though yes extremely tight. Looking at it you would think it is actually touching. I have an ATI Silencer 5 on the way. I only hope the card still fits after installing that though I heard of no one having any reputable problems doing so.

No problem, works fine for me

why would you not file off that part of the card??? There are no traces there. He probably just filed off the part of the board with the break-off points. They were probably not cleanly broken or filed to begin with. It happens a lot in circuit board manufacturing. Not like he was popping caps and rectifiers off it or anything.

Demo24 - you got a pic of what you filed? If it's what I'm thinking, then yeah, no big deal. Lots of people do it for card clearence.

Because if for some reason the card craps out I'd bet they won't take care of it. I could be wrong but I bet I'm not.

can you provide more details?

• is that the VGA silencer that was mentioned?
  • the ATI silencer that was mentioned?
  • how was clearance to the chipset HSF?

thx!

I am using an ATI Silencer 5 rev. 2 on a BBA X800XL and the clearance remains the same. The silencer does not extend below the card so clearance does not change. So far the chipset temps remains the same as before so I kinda doubt the silencer is affecting the low CFM chipset fan.

I had to grind on my 6600gt a bit too using some 240 grit and just working the edge in some. Like you said it's only pcb so no biggie. Hopefully If I have to rma the card they either won't notice or won't care as there is no way it could cause an electrical problem to the card itself.

I reseated the nb fan first with zinc oxide compound but it still didn't clear. When the card was hitting the nb it made my chipset temps run at 45c so I didn't have a choice.

After reseating the nb temps were still too high till I mounted a 120mm case fan blowing across the board. NB temps went down by 10c and the chipset fan doesn't have to run full tilt either. In fact if I turn it off the nb only goes up 1c at most.

It might work to just let the card hit and run a case fan on the nb to avoid card sanding.

Guest Partizan
Hey this is good news, if my friend wont be able to buy this for me ill use the VGA rev3 which is available here already :-D Did you OC your X800XL? And did it fit without anyprobs onyour board?

VGA Silencer 3 ist superb. It was already running on my Hercules AIW 9800SE @ PRO and now it perfectly fits on my X800XL and also no problems with the DFI. I overclocked my card to 550/525(1050). Too bad mine has 2.0ns ram :(

Perhaps I will try making Vmod and some memory cooling ;)

Regards, Partizan

• 3 weeks later...

hey

everyone is talking about their x800xl's in their ultra-D boards!

but mine doesn't work at all! my system wont boot with it installed, clears the chipset fan by a mm or two... it says there is no video input but the cable is connected which means that it is working right? or is the card dead?

its really gettin on my nerves i've had this setup for a week now and i thought i could install windows and slap it in and it would work..

using a 2mb pci graphics card at the moment.

if i stick the x800xl in teh first slot it shows 3leds

if i stick it in the second it goes to one then one long beep then three short beeps

if it is the graphics card i guess i will have to rma it... *sobs*

please help! i'm very desperate!

hey

everyone is talking about their x800xl's in their ultra-D boards!

but mine doesn't work at all! my system wont boot with it installed, clears the chipset fan by a mm or two... it says there is no video input but the cable is connected which means that it is working right? or is the card dead?

its really gettin on my nerves i've had this setup for a week now and i thought i could install windows and slap it in and it would work..

using a 2mb pci graphics card at the moment.

if i stick the x800xl in teh first slot it shows 3leds

if i stick it in the second it goes to one then one long beep then three short beeps

if it is the graphics card i guess i will have to rma it... *sobs*

please help! i'm very desperate!

well if youv loaded optimised defaults and the board is working with the PCI one then I would say your x800xl is a DOA, so RMA

ok that is what i was dreading...

the company i bought from is renowned for there crappy customer support.

also i am having problems with usb ports.. i stick in my mouse and it isn't recognised? driver problem or windows problem?

anyone else think that my card might still be alive? =D