PQI memory

hi people

I have a LP Nf4 SLi DR mobo, a Leadtek 6600 GT Extreme vid card (ordered), an Athlon64 3800+ (ordered), an OCZ 520 watt Powerstream psu (ordered). When these all arrive (within the next few days :nod: ), they will be going into my Lian Li V1000B case (the Lian Li PC60USB case with Enermax psu goes to the missus :D ).

My problem is that I have 2 x 512MB of DDR 3200 no-name ram at the moment. It works fine with my current system (Athlon 2800+, Asus A7N 8X Deluxe mobo, ATI 9600 Pro vid card, bla bla!).

When all my bits arrive, I'll try to boot my system with this ram, but after researching this site I think that I may have difficulties :rolleyes: .

I can get a really good deal here in Australia on PQI 3200-1024DAH TURBO memory in a 1GB kit (2 x 512MB).

Does anyone know if this memory is ok?

ricey

Ricey,

I have the PQI single channel turbo memory, 2@512Mb 2.5-3-3-7. I was able to run it at 1:1 250x10 LDT 3 fsb 2.8v. I am limited because my CPU isn't a great overclocker, I have one of the early revisions. I am sure one of the more schooled individuals on this forum could squeeze more out of it, but for the record, the PQI memory I have is darn good. Currently I am using Mushkin Lvl 2 memory and can only reach 240 on a good day. The only reason I continue to use the Mushkin is because I can set my timings to 2.0-3-3-6 and my bandwith scores are a little better. If if had the PQI equivalent it might outperform the Mushie.

thanks for your reply demon,

I am an absolute newbie to DFI mobos and overclocking. In all my research, it seems that appropriate RAM is the single most important issue to getting the DFI NF4 boards to run and be stable.

I'd love to be able to afford $500 (Australian) for 1GB of OCZ 5000, but realistically, $179 (Aus) for 1GB of PQI 3200-1024DAH TURBO is closer to my budget :)

As I said, I'm a noob; is there a difference for NF4 boards compared to NF3 boards, when it comes down to single channel vs dual channel RAM?

Ricey

I cannot answer that one intelligently.. being that my only experience is with an nF3 board, it would not be honest to cast assumptions based on my board. What I have read around the other boards is that mid range ram has been performing very respectable across the board so unless you need the ultra-high end ram, it is best to save your money for something else. I have been using my low latency Mushkin blue in all my testing and it has performed nicely. I did not give the PQI the same chance even though it allowed me a higher fsb simply because the lower latency Mushkin with higher voltage gets me better bench scores. The Mush is 2.0-3-3-6 @ 3.4v vs the PQI at 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.9v.

The PQI Turbo PC-3200 rated at 2-2-2-5 and the PC-3500 rated at 2.5-3-3-7 are both Samsung TCCD on Brainpower PCB.

I have used both and I'm running the PC-3500 at stock speeds and 2-2-2-7 as shown in my sig. I've had the FSB up to 260 running memtest but I only tried three passes with no errors before I went back to stock speeds. I had another project that I had to complete.

This memory has been flawless in both the nF3 and nF4 DFI system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...