Sign in to follow this  
mikerand

firewall oh firewall, which firewall shall i use

D-Link DI-604 4-port NAT firewall/router = very inexpensive, very good firewall, and doesn't use any overhead at all (plus allows up to 3 other connections to your internet/LAN)

ive always used a hardware NAT router, never a software firewall.

I use the Nvidia firewall and have found it to be really good

the only issue i have is that i have to turn it off for voice when i use messenger but otherwise it works great

Online gaming with IL2 works great

i used zone alarm before

i have had this system since october last year and with the Firewall and Microsoft antispyware i have had zero internet nasties

i might be just lucky but i am really happy with this setup

very minimal software and it works fine

just my 2cents worth :P

I use one in my Netgear D638 (think thats the one) and also the nvidea one as I wanted to test them out. Both very good but I aint got a clue how to configure them although I have not had any problems with either.

Anyone know of any guides to change rules etc for the nvidea one?

I just use Sygate.

nVidia firewall has creates serious problems for me, such as freezing during boot because "a program changed a windows configuration, nvidia has fixed it, now reboot" after installing certain things such as my webcam driver.

I use a hardware router firewall but I also use standard Zonealarm as I like to know whats trying to get out as well as getting in.

I don't use any software firewall...except the Windows built in one.

Why? I have a router that has a great firewall on it...a hardware firewall. Doesn't anyone here use a router? Or do you just hook straight up to the cable/dsl modem?

yeah I have a router... and a small home lan, but I like to know what stuff on my machine is trying to phone home.. so I need an outbound firewall too.

The firewall on the NF4 looks like a learning curve I dont need so I stick with ZoneAlarm.

Good ol NAT router and XP firewall here. I leave some ports open in the router for some programs so the XP firewall is nice because it only opens the ports when the program needs them. I haven't had any probs yet.

USe a Netgear 834G router w/ SPI firewall, with Zonealarm on the PC.

Tried the Nvidia HW firewall when I had the Asus in. Too many BSOD's, Outlook kept crashing (firewall didn't like my VPN to the company exchange server).

Use BOClean for Trojan detection.

Use NOD32 V 2.5Beta for Antivirus