875P-T Norhtbridge support suggestions

Just as it says. I need something to use to help support my waterblock on my northbridge. I was thinking a thin layer of neoprene around the core. I want something that will provide support, but also compress to allow contact to the core. I have those lil neoprene dots, but they don't do a bit of good.

Any other suggestions/materials/home made solutions?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, here is another stupid question I gotta ask: What about the mounting hardware that should have come with NB block? Before installing mine, I replaced the nutz with non-capped versions to hold it on better than stock nutz were doing.

with Danger Den, there are 4 posts (bolts?) that the block slides down for the cpu, and like all of our Intel boards, there are only 2 little clips for the NB...

but

I have found that using the bottom corner of the post on the cpu block i can reinforce anything I have attached to the NB (right now on my 875B i have a TDX Danger Den cpu block but only a Thermaltake 60x38mm fan on the NB...but the fan is simply mounted on the bottom right 'bolt' that the cpu block mounts to...i can take pics if this is confusing)

LOL thanks angry, that was kinda confusing. Unfortunatly i have the swiftech block which only has 2 legs anyway. I figured if i made something out like whats on the stock heatsink, but just out of a slightly thicker material, then it would help resist leaning from one side to the other.

I ordered a few different variations of different thickness and hardness. The core pertrudes about .033, i'm going going to try some 1/16" (.0625), and some softer 1/8 (.125") materials. Mcmaster always delivers in one day. its too late for shipping now, but i won't get to experiment on friday because its the G/F birthday. *sigh* the nerve of interupting my overclocking experiences with a silly birthday :shake:

As another suggestion, you could always try to micrometer the core and then tap one of the copper bases to sit flat against and around it. I am exploring that option as of now. My comp will be going down tonight to take accurate laser measurements of the core and outer area. Once done, a 3D model rendering of it will take place and be programmed into a laser cut copper base. I am hoping that all this work will pay off.

another thing you can do, tho it is not watercooled, is get a cheap Thermalright NB-1 w/fan.

I used this on teh 925X and 875P-T for a short time (with Danger Den watercooling kit!) as I didn't want the NB block either...i just put the fan on my 5.25" fan controller (with watercooling i need less fans lol) to control the noise (as when it runs full speed, it is quite loud), and set it to the lowest setting...and it keeps the NB VERY cool and no noise at all (the pump makes more noise than the little fan on lowest speed)

the NB-1 mounts very easily and is really a better way to go for me than trying to get a waterblock on the NB with those flimsy little paper-clip type mounts lol

Angry, i did some probing while i had my southpole microcool block on the northbridge. not only was that flimsy as well, but i could catch the northbridge up to 120F at times. The point of getting the waterblock, was to run 1.8vagp, i was a little nervice to run 1.8 on air. I'm still focusing my attention on the NB being this boards weak spot. I've found that lots of voltage isn't necessary at 275FSB, so i'm going to work on the cooling aspect.

Hey BigStan, at 280+ FSB, after 34% completion of memtest test #7 is still when it goes bonkers. It runs fine up to that point, but anything after that just goes wicked errors. I've discovered even playing with the water block, i slightly lean it the wrong way, the screen goes blank, and i can't even hard reset the computer. I have to power down and hard boot. Is your memtest still going wack on #7 at the 34% mark?