New DFI build.

dfi and rgone and ag both recommend a power supply at least 480watts. i wouldnt listen to what others say from other forums about "what would be good enough".consider the source of where your information comes from. if dfi and two gentlemen who work for dfi recommend at least 480 watts i would do as they suggest. however if they recommend i run down the street nakey and yell dfi rules dfi rules. no not likely to do that

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

however if they recommend i run down the street nakey and yell dfi rules dfi rules. no not likely to do that

Yeah, RG used that one on me. I was surprised at just how fast those police dogs can run. :sweat:

Id either go with a 6800GT or BBA ATI X800XL, if your nervous about it and don't wanna break anything, just learn to put together stuff on crappy components before you go all out, it's not that hard to put together a nice all-around pc, just do your homework before you purchase.

The reason ExRoadie is using a Enermax 350W is because he is not running an nF4, only an nF3. RG and AG recommended the 480W+ because well, they've probably tested enough DFI motherboards and seen problems with the lower wattage PSU that could have been easily solved by steapping up and getting a higher wattage PSU (e.g. OCZ PowerStream 520/600)

If you plan to overclock, don't get value ram...your spending so much, why cheap out on the ram?

ahh, i'm new to all this! what is BBA?

The 430 is already in the mail though. Can i give it a try, or will it hurt the computer?

This is where i'm basing my thoughts from, http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

Have you guys read it? ( if you do read it, read allll of it)

I checked out the Muskins that was recommended. I guess i can swing another hundred if it really will help stability. ( i don't really care that much bout OC)

Can anyone else recommend some other brands? hopefully less expensive.

The PSU is one of the most important things you should consider when building a system. In almost all cases you should get one that EXCEEDS what you need. Don't get one that's "good enough".

The 430 is already in the mail though. Can i give it a try, or will it hurt the computer?

I don't know if it will "hurt" the computer. Normally the system just won't start or will run but be very unstable.

Just picked up some of the top 'o the line memory for less than $199 shipped -

1GB OCZ VX Gold PC3200.....You can up the memory voltage in the future for faster performance and this memory will handle it. VX = extreme voltage

mwave.com has it for $199..I searched around and found a $15 dollar off coupon code..add shipping and I'm right below $200.

Very good deal.

You can only overclock 400 memory so far.....we all want that much more speed. These DFI NF4 boards are like ferraris...you could add 92 octane gas....but it would much prefer the racing 105 octane. I'd venture to say you could run any speed memory (faster than 400) in these boards - PC3500+

did u read that article?

Yeah, I read it. Quite frankly, it's not a very comprehensive article. There are a ton of PSU's missing. No Antec Neopower? No OCZ? No PC Power & Cooling 510? If the highest rating in terms of quality on that list is a 7+, what would these 3 be? 8, 9 and 10s? But since the site is about silent PC's...perhaps they're looking more for quiet PSU's rather than "best" PSU's.

Also, since the PSU is one of the most important...if not THE most important...part of your system, getting advice from just one source on the internet (including this site) is somewhat dangerous.

Now, I'm not saying this PSU is bad or anything...in fact it's a great one. But it seems that the guy writing this article hasn't taken into consideration the nf4 motherboards and their power requirments yet. It's a great article, don't get me wrong, but it's not comprehensive nor up-to-date with the newer boards. The Seasonic S12 430 may work out fine for you, but it may be a little under powered regardless of an article saying that PSU's really don't need that much power.

But hey, you were asking for people to comment on your system...did you really expect to pass with flying colors? LOL...not on this board! People here notice everything down to very small details, which is why it's great to ask.

Good luck to you.

I don't know if it will "hurt" the computer. Normally the system just won't start or will run but be very unstable.

Right and @ piotrgurin, If it were me, I wouldn't even open the package. I'd RMA it. I believe if you refuse delivery, they will refund w/ no restock fee (at least newegg will I believe).

And then go get yourself a better psu, like the OCZ 600w.