New DFI build.

Hey all,

This is my first build every and I want to use the DFI Ultra-D

I figured it would be a good idea to post my system idea here so you can give me some advice on what you think of the components working with this mobo.

------------------------------------------------------

Case SLK3000B

PSU Seasonic S12 430

Motherboard LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor - Retail

CPU cooler Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model "XP-90" -RETAIL

CPU therm comp Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - 3.5 gram Tube

CPU fan 1 Nexus 92mm Real Silent Case Fan

CPU fan 2 Nexus 120 mm Real Silent Case Fan

RAM G.skill Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2), F1-3200PHU2-1GBZX -Retail

Video Card MSI ATI Radeon X800 XL, PCI-Express,"RX800XL-VT2D256E" -RETAIL

Hard Drive SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model SP1614C, OEM Drive Only

Optical Drive LG Electronics DVD+/-RW 16X Multiformat Drive, Model GSA-4163BI - Retail

Floppy Drive Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model SFD321B/LBL1, OEM

Keyboard Kensington 64365 SlimType Keyboard USB 104 keys -RETAIL

LCD Dell 1905FP

I'm planing on getting another LCD for gaming later to and go dual monitors.

I'm really nervous about building my first comp and my biggest concern is compatibilty and stability.

Best,

-Peter

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section.

If you are looking for help, reading this is the most important first-step for you to take.

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post:

PLEASE SEE THIS LINK!:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=2

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version, etc.

The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

Sorry i don't have a bios yet, but that because i'm not sure what i'm buying yet! hehee. I was just hoping someone with experiance could give these components a quick glance and tell me if they think its okay.

I'm excited to be joining everyone here soon with my first DFI mobo.

Thanks!

Hey all,

This is my first build every and I want to use the DFI Ultra-D

I figured it would be a good idea to post my system idea here so you can give me some advice on what you think of the components working with this mobo.

------------------------------------------------------

Case SLK3000B

PSU Seasonic S12 430

Motherboard LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor - Retail

CPU cooler Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model "XP-90" -RETAIL

CPU therm comp Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - 3.5 gram Tube

CPU fan 1 Nexus 92mm Real Silent Case Fan

CPU fan 2 Nexus 120 mm Real Silent Case Fan

RAM Video Card MSI ATI Radeon X800 XL, PCI-Express,"RX800XL-VT2D256E" -RETAIL

Hard Drive SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model SP1614C, OEM Drive Only

Optical Drive LG Electronics DVD+/-RW 16X Multiformat Drive, Model GSA-4163BI - Retail

Floppy Drive Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model SFD321B/LBL1, OEM

Keyboard Kensington 64365 SlimType Keyboard USB 104 keys -RETAIL

LCD Dell 1905FP

I'm planing on getting another LCD for gaming later to and go dual monitors.

I'm really nervous about building my first comp and my biggest concern is compatibilty and stability.

Best,

-Peter

Hi Peter, not crazy about the Seasonic PSU, the MSI vid card and LG DVD ( is that double layer?) Also would think about G.SKill LE instead of what you selected.

Hi Peter, not crazy about the Seasonic PSU, the MSI vid card and LG DVD ( is that double layer?) Also would think about G.SKill LE instead of what you selected.

Same here though no real opinion on the video card. XL is great if it is cheap though a 9800 GT will bet it especally if overclcoked.

Unless you can find someone with the ram you are gitting that works dont get it.

There is a article on anandatec on ram you mighht look at.

thanks for the comments thus far.

Regarding the PSU. Alot of PSU makers over state the power rating.

After reading many reviews, especially the one on SPCR, the seasonic is very efficent and provides more power than other psus. Also from what i've read it should be sufficent for all but the most extreme SLI systems etc. Ethir way I already ordered this PSU unfortunatly.

I really think it should be enough power, do you guys really think its going to be a problem?

ExRoadie, your specs state you have Enermax 365W?

CPUZ, what don't you like about the MSI x800xl? Firingsquad said its one of the best cards, and the 2nd quietest, only next to the gigabyte. P.S. i'm looking for dual DVI.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_ra...800_xl_roundup/

Yea the LG DVD is dual layer.

The G.Skill LE costs $280!!? http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....TC-pr1c3grabb3r

The ram I chose is CAS 2 and costs $99.

I'm into preformance, but is paying 180 dollars more going to give me 180% more performance?

You have to understand that using some value RAM with the DFI boards is generally a bad move. I haven't personally experienced this, but browsing here and other forums, besides going with a cheap and/or low amp PSU, ValueRAM is a move you don't want to go with. Probably the cheapest good 1GB (2x512MB) you're going to find is with the Patriot PDP+XBL PC3200 stuff. That or go with 512MB like I did. I'd rather have less RAM and have a good set of it than get a gig of valueRAM and pair it with the DFI NF4's. I have some Kingston ValuRAM that works great with my Abit IS7-E, but I wouldn't drop it in my Ultra-D.

The ram is worthless if the board will not work. Put your feet up and look around. You dont need to go all out on ram but value ram is a big no no. TCD Bh5/6 is the only way to go right now if it is not one of those it might not run right at stock speeds. Just because it is rated at that doesnt men it will run C@ or run at all on this board.

guys i'm new to all this so if you could please explain the technical terms... lTCD bh5/6...LOL

Regards to the ram I picked, it's not considered value ram by G.Skill

They have it under the Extreme Series. http://www.gskill.com/f1-3200phu2-zx.html

Also how come you guys are buying 4400 ram when DFI website says the fastest ram it can run is 3200 ddr400.

Finally, Has anyone used the Seasonic 430 PSU with this board b/c I ordered it already! doh!