Sign in to follow this  
Fryrice

Quick Ram Upgrade Question

Please look at my Signature for my current system specs. Now I was thinking on adding more ram to my 1gb (have 1 slot open on my board) while KEEPING my system STABLE and Current rather "tight" memory settings. Keep in mind my system is OC'ed. I play World of Warcraft alot and it demands mucho memory. Here is my question in the order of importance:

1) Is there a difference in adding 1 x 1gb or 1x 512mb in, again keeping my current tight memory settings and system stable?

2) What brand and type of memory anyone recommend to run with my current memory?? (Look at my signature)

Basically I want to just pop in my new memory and not change any settings in my OC'ed system. Thanx again all!

I think it would have an effect on your system and timings, the problem is with 754 processors they seem to be less efficent at running two dimms of memory compared with thier 939 counter-parts. Ive read this at a few places esp in my question to get my memory doing 270 stable with 2*512. Adding 1GB will be a problem especially as the memory timings for 1 stick is going to be much different to that of a 512 stick, memory timings in the bios applys it for all dimms, and that 1GB of memory is going to struggle running it at what you want it to. 3 dimms in use is also more work for the onchip mem controler.

So an extra 512mb?? Currently I have 2X512 (PC3200 OC'ed), just want to add another stick (most likely a PC4000)?? Please advise

1GB of RAM is all that you need. You should stick to the 2x512MB you already have (the 754/NF3 doesn't really handle 3x dimms at once very well)

1GB of RAM is all that you need. You should stick to the 2x512MB you already have (the 754/NF3 doesn't really handle 3x dimms at once very well)

Angry is absolutely RIGHT. I bought another matched set of OCZ-3200 Platinum Rev.2, 2x512, hoping to install a third stick and still keep my current OverClock. My board dropped down to 333hz and was stuck on 2T!!!!! Long story Short I lost a Boatload of Performance. It was like going from a SpeedBoat to a Canoe with one oar!!

I can only hope the Venice cores like 4 Sticks of my OCZ REV. 2 Ram :) :cool: