Sign in to follow this  
Mussels

Zalman 7000A / 7700 and NF4

ever think that a 6600GT isnt the size of a 6800 ultra or an X800? smaller card, smaller cooler.

oh and volvic... i have no idea whats wrong with your NV6 but the ATI silencers make zero noise at about 80% fan speed and below

The statement wasn't qualified to certain cards. I just wanted to make sure people didn't write off the 7700 without thinking it through because of your post. It's a great cooler.

I don't doubt the Zalman VGA cooler has great performance in a case with LOTS of ventilation. But I prefer dumping my VGA card's heat outside the case as soon as possible, so I really like the Arctic cooling silencers over the Zalmans. As with most things, yourf mileage may vary, but my 6600GT is cool and quiet with the NV6, which is way better than stock, and probably as good as or better than the Zalman in my configuration.

Thanks,

Mike

ever think that a 6600GT isnt the size of a 6800 ultra or an X800? smaller card, smaller cooler.

oh and volvic... i have no idea whats wrong with your NV6 but the ATI silencers make zero noise at about 80% fan speed and below

Alright lets not get into the old Nvidia Ati debate. My 9800 was silent too with the RPM adjusted by expert tool.

Dont forget that one mans silence is anothermans noisy.

OK - question on this.

I'm running an X850 XT PE with an AC ATI Silencer 5 Rev2, in PCI-E slot 1. I've just ordered the Zalman 7700 - is it not going to fit?

Cheers,

Damian

It's tight from the pics I've seen, but not as scary as the Thermalright XP-120. Tough to get at the DDR 4 RAM slot on either of them with the HSF installed, but possible I hear.

i KNOW you can do it if you dont use the backplate (heatsinks for back of card) and use the mounting thing that came with the stock viddie cooler.

and make sure you're happy with your ram before you install the 7700, because you cant really get to it afterwards (you can just sneak it out/in if you dont have heatspreaders on teh ram)

Thanks Mussels.

Hmm ok so you are saying that with the Silencer backplate it definitely won't fit? That's a shame. So the back mounting plate from the OEM X850 cooler works ok with the X850?

At first I was thinking that this isn't a great answer (i.e. losing silencer backplate) but actually i find its superfluous. The mem on the X850 doesn't O/C that well (I find) even with it fitted and I actually don't O/C it anyway.

Hmmm.

Damian

not that it definitely wont, just that it defintely WILL without the ram backplate.

i moved my X800XL (its an X850 PCB) to the lower PCI-E slot because the ATI silencer was blocking airflow to the NB chip.

i honestly cant say if yours will work with the stock mounting thing, but it SHOULD.

Ok cheers for your input Mussels - looks like I'll have to have a play!

Moving to the lower PCI-E slot is not an option for me unfortuantely...

Damian

i got away with it with an audigy in the bottom PCI slot, so remember you may be able to get away with it (unless you have something else stopping you, of course)

good luck with fitting it all in.

Just so that everyone knows...

This weekend I fitted the Zalman 7700alcu in my rig (DFI LanParty NF4 UT SLI-d)

and I can confirm that it fits ok, even with my X850 XT PE (with Arctic Cooling ATI 5 silencer) in PCI-E slot 1.

Great cooler - cools PWMIC and 1 stick of ram as well as CPU!

Damian