Zalman 7000A / 7700 and NF4

zalman 7000/7700 have one big thing over the XP92/120

noise. or lack thereof.

the XP ones are great coolers, but only when teamed with a high power fan, and that means noise.

my zalman 7000A here keeps my 3200+ at 2.5GHz, 1.7V 40C prime load.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question, is it possible to plug that zalman fan's connector into the motherboard 3pin fan connector instead of going through that fan controller thing?

Yes, that's just an option if you want to control fan speed. Without it it just runs at the max rpm....

Zalman coolers fit everywhere :)

10c8g6wvgao00.jpg

try that with a bigger video card cooler, and you'll change your mind. i use ATI silencers because they exhaust hot air out of the case, and it makes it a tight fit with a 7000A... a 7700 would be impossible.

i used the fan controller also, until my GF unplugged the cable accidently!! i rushed and unplugged the cpu as not to burn my freakin CPU...this was shortly after my initial install, and had just flashed the BIOS, and hadnt enacted the auto shutdown feature at 70 degrees!! i was happy i didnt lose the damn CPU...so now...i bypass that altogether....just for safety's sake!

try that with a bigger video card cooler, and you'll change your mind. i use ATI silencers because they exhaust hot air out of the case, and it makes it a tight fit with a 7000A... a 7700 would be impossible.

Not true. I use a 7700 on my DFI NF4 and use a arctic cooling NV6 on my 6600GT. Fits fine. It's close, but it still fits fine. The NV6 is a great cooler BTW.

Thanks,

Mike

used the fan controller also, until my GF unplugged the cable accidently!! i rushed and unplugged the cpu as not to burn my freakin CPU...this was shortly after my initial install, and had just flashed the BIOS, and hadnt enacted the auto shutdown feature at 70 degrees!! i was happy i didnt lose the damn CPU...so now...i bypass that altogether....just for safety's sake!

Well, my system currently has 8 fans - all of them run at slow speeds. I can't hear a thing, but there is still enough airflow. In case of a dead CPU fan, temps would rise up to 50°C - not a problem for the processor. Because of its mass, the 7700 is a good passive cooler too. :D

a 7700 would be impossible.

As mentioned above - that's not true.

By the way - after installing the Zalman VGA cooler, I'll never ever think about using another VGA cooler. Silent @ 5V (im contrast to the NV6), cooling performance is about 10°C better than the stock cooler (under load).

because they exhaust hot air out of the case

You anyway need airflow in your case. I've never experienced performance differences between Arctic coolers and others. :)

Not true. I use a 7700 on my DFI NF4 and use a arctic cooling NV6 on my 6600GT. Fits fine. It's close, but it still fits fine. The NV6 is a great cooler BTW.

Thanks,

Mike

ever think that a 6600GT isnt the size of a 6800 ultra or an X800? smaller card, smaller cooler.

oh and volvic... i have no idea whats wrong with your NV6 but the ATI silencers make zero noise at about 80% fan speed and below