[Resolved] resolution for disappearing Maxtor drives? (post #12)

I have not tried the 414-3 Firmware where do I get it? Also would not using the Nvidia IDE Driver do much as I am having problems before windows can even start. In order to boot I have to hit esc and select the harddrive (if it was detected during boot). Thanks!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm I just flashed to bios 414-3 and cleared the cmos. However I am getting "A disk read error acured hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" so I cant even get windows to load. I also uninstalled the Nvidia IDE drivers. Before I was atleast able to by pass it sometimes :(.Is there anything else I could try? thanks

I flashed my BIOS using the CD before I installed windows.

My other installs were all corrupted before I flashed to 414-3.

Don't know what else to tell you.

I've had to install Win XP 6 times on my machine. I am just know getting it stable.

Have any of you guys tried the simple solution I found that worked for my DM10 on both an Epox NF3 board and this DFI NF4 board that I posted earlier?

All I had to do to solve ALL my detection and boot problems was to turn off autodetect on ALL the IDE and SATA channels with no drives connected to them.

Click on the empty drive channel in the BIOS and select NONE for the drive type, do NOT leave it on AUTO.

Again, this solved ALL my problems with my DM10 and I can't believe it was coincidence that it worked on 2 different chipsets and 2 different brand motherboards.

Wanted to update my post on the Maxline III drives....

The problems that I reported earlier have gone away. I am not quite sure how or why but my disks have worked very well for the last couple of weeks.

After a fresh install of XP at the time of my last post, and a week of nothing but testing (much of which was I/O intensive) the problem has gone away. I backed my fsb off to 275 and upped the voltages .... no more problems. Maybe the controller just needed a good burn in. I have no other explanation

At this point I am actually considering the purchase of two more to add to the array.

I just came across this same problem after a week of testing / troubleshooting other issues. I also have the 300 GB 6 series drive. I noticed that it started to happen after I tried to disable SATA-3/4 in the BIOS. I'm using the newest 5/10-2 beta. I had to reset the CMOS and power down the system in order to get it back.

I have not had any other problems other than the drive recognition upon bootup ones some have reported. No blue screens or boot failures or anything nasty like that.