PDP Systems Patriot XBLK PC3200 Database

chennhui

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it was still relatively unstable (have to test out these memory configs that you other guys have next to get stability and good OCs from my ram) - I found that my PDC1G3200+XBLK from NewEgg which came with green pcbs (still seem to be brainpower - due to the 8 componenets on the back side) and the usual red heatspreaders - was more stable at 3.5v @ 280x10 2-3-3-6 1T (passive :D unless you can call 5 case fans, 2 in the PSU, and the XP120 with 120mm coolermaster "active" cooling) than it was at 2.7-3.4. At 3.6+ it would once again refuse to boot or sandra.

I only tested up to 3.7v, as I believed that higher voltage wouldnt be the best for it, and it didnt seem to be getting any better ;).

I'll post more results on stable (hopefully) overclocks and settings soon...as soon as I get some...

@_@

whoa..at 300x9 with similar settings to WheresWaldo, although it cant pass memtest, and sandra refuses to run the memory test....just crashes telling me something about UniCode - the same error I have seen nearly every time that I have run Sandra on this new rig...:(

However, with Everest (Aida32) it registered a whopping 7777mb/s!

*jaw drops*

@_@

whoa..at 300x9 with similar settings to WheresWaldo, although it cant pass memtest, and sandra refuses to run the memory test....just crashes telling me something about UniCode - the same error I have seen nearly every time that I have run Sandra on this new rig...:(

However, with Everest (Aida32) it registered a whopping 7777mb/s!

*jaw drops*

Try swapping the slots the RAM is in and see if that changes anything. I found when they are in one particular configuration I get alot of errors in memtest but the other way around I only had 16 errors in test #8 after 65 passes.

Try swapping the slots the RAM is in and see if that changes anything. I found when they are in one particular configuration I get alot of errors in memtest but the other way around I only had 16 errors in test #8 after 65 passes.

I'll give it a go...right now I am running 250x10 with mem at 2T :(...still not entirely stable...I'm beginning to wonder if my Venice has a weak mem controller...but yup, i'll try swapping the sticks.

at 300x9, i ended up with around about 116 errors in test 8 with one pass....

Yeah, SuperNade, thanks for that, saved me a lot of hassles :).

However, you may want to look at running DRAM Drive Strength at Level 7, and changing from a tREF of 0128 to 0776, as well as running timings like 2.5-4-4-7 (worked for me). Also, DEFINITELY try swapping your ram sticks if you end up getting say 6-14 errors. Because that eliminated all the errors for me.

Increasing the tREF will give you about a 700Mb/s throughput increase in both memtest and sandra/everest. This is what I have found.

For me, working from SuperNade's base settings, I have settled on my own "Magic Stability Settings" which seem to be as follows:

Bios Version 510-1:

CPU FSB: 300 (Highest Memtest Passable - no errors) 280 (most stable)

LDT/FSB: 3.0x

PCI-e Bandwidth: 16/16

Multiplier: x9.0 (Combined with 300Mhz - unstable) x10.0 (Combinded with 280 - Stable)

PCI-e Freq.: 100Mhz

Cnq: Disabled

CPU VID Startup: Startup

CPU VID Control: 1.4v

CPU VID Special: Above VID by 126%

LDT Voltage Control: 1.30v

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.70v

DRAM Voltage Control: 3.10v

DRAM + 0.03v: Enabled

-----------------------------------

RAM/FSB Ratio: 200 (1:01)

CPC: Enabled

Tcl: 2.5

Trcd: 4

Tras: 7

Trp: 4

Trc: 10

Trfc: 22

Trrd: 02

Twr: 02

Twtr: 01

Tref: 0776

Twcl: 01

DRAM Interleave: Enabled

DQS Skew Control: Decrease Skew

DQS Skew Value: 255

DRAM Drive Strength: Level 7

DRAM Data Drive Strength: Level 1

Max Async Latency: 08.0ns

DRAM Response Time: Fast

Read Preamble Time: 05.0ns

Idle Cycle Limit: 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter: Disabled

R/W Queue Bypass: 16x

Bypass: 7x

32 Byte Granularity: Disabled

-------------------------

Currently I am running 280x10, as the 300x9 setting was very unstable, despite passing memtest. The decrease in memory bandwidth is around 350mb/s, which is a fair amount, but a small price to pay for stability. (its still at 7.3Gb/s).

SuperPI time of 30s for 1M with SSE3 patched version, or 31s for 1M with standard version. I had to up the CPU voltage to the 1.4v stated, as at 2.8Ghz, it didn't allow me to run 1.375 adjusted with 126% over VID.

The temps range from 32*C idle - up to a maximum of 46*C (only because I set in the BIOS for the CPU fan to increase speed after 45*C - it seems to vary its speed between 1900rpm and 2400rpm depending on whether the CPU temp is at 47*C - 2400rpm, or 26*C - 1900rpm...and usually the 2400rpm kicks in just for a second, then it drops to 46*C, so it drops, then increases to 47*C...you get the picture...result is fan speeding up and slowing down a fair bit during loading times and SuperPI 32M test.)

Thus far I have found that swapping the sticks seems to make a difference, as do the timings - in my case I had to tighten them to 2.5-4-4-7 from 2.5-4-4-10 in order to pass memtest, and become stable (which i'm not complaining about :)). Furthermore, it seems to me that every single different module performs completely differently, with different settings, and that each CPU has certain Clock speeds which it responds to well, and those it doesnt (for example mine runs fine at 280x9 = 2520, or 280x10 = 2800, but wont run at 300x9 = 2700 or 270x10 = 2700)...

Its all guesswork from start to finish as far as I can tell, although recommended settings as posted by others here are a great thing to go off.

Oh, one more thing: never ever ever ever ever ever (how hard can i stress this?) use the tREF 0016 as suggested by Angry in his "Memory" thread. Although it may correspond to the right value, it results in a Black Screen Of DEAD - eg CMOS clear via jumper....

Otherwise, so long as the memory settings are just right, this RAM seems to be excellent value for money, with the highest clock speeds I have seen attained in many other forums i frequent :).

Cheers for all the help guys. :)

Hi Super Nade, do you notice performance hit when set the tREF to 0128. I try at 281HTT x 8 at tREF 0128. The system suffered from big performance hit as compared to 250HTT x 9 with tREF auto (200MHz 3.9us).

Guys,

Nobody paid any attention to my thread when I posted it in here, so here are the preliminary results for all of you to see. I was struggling like hell to hit DDR600, but I did so today and its SuperPi 32M stable.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3753064&postcount=34

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391391

Good luck!

Guest shaolin95

Both of my XBL will do 270x10 easily (one already tested up to 298FSB @ 2.5-3-3-10) but I cant make my PC stable when using both sticks at the same time. I thought it would be easy since my A64 3400 is a nice Overclocker (2734Mhz week 51) still I am stable at 2650 but at 2700 I get BSOD when running my patented 3Dmark2001 loop :-). I hope that its just a matter of fine tunning the voltages...

Regards

Guys,

Nobody paid any attention to my thread when I posted it in here, so here are the preliminary results for all of you to see. I was struggling like hell to hit DDR600, but I did so today and its SuperPi 32M stable.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3753064&postcount=34

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391391

Good luck!

SN

I looked at your results and even tried your settings, but they all come at the expense of memory bandwidth. With the TREF settings you use your memory bandwidth is lower than the bandwidth settings I can get from running at stock settings. So the only thing you are gaining is the CPU clock. Granted the A64 benefits more from CPU clock than memory settings, but your settings put you at the extreme low end of settings. I would think you would want a balance between the two.

I'll play around more with this.

Guest shaolin95

Very dissapointed with my new RAM stick. While my old one does almost 300 (298) using 2.6v @ 2.5-3-3-10 (or higher if I relax my timings) the new one only does around 290 but needs 2.90 to do it. I try more voltage to see if it will do 300 but didnt work. Now thinking about it, I used slot 2 and 3 when I removed the old stick to check the new one but never tried it in slot 1.... perhaps there is some problems with those slots compared to the 1st one.

Regards

Now thinking about it, I used slot 2 and 3 when I removed the old stick to check the new one but never tried it in slot 1.... perhaps there is some problems with those slots compared to the 1st one.

Regards

Mine won't even boot unless slot one is populated...Don't have yer memory but I do have yer board...5/04/05 bios...